Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My First Ancient, Impulse Buy, Julian II 360-363 Ae3 Nummus

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
689 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2015  4:41 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add BuckeyeCoinGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Was browsing around on eBay last week and found this auction at the last minute. Was cheap I thought so I bid. Got cracked back and I came back once more over the top and got it. $72 all in for this Julian II 360-363AD AE3 Nummus.

Don't know much about ancients other than they are, uh, old.

Any good places for info besides here? Not asking for a google impression, just wondering. I came with pics and pricing if it helps bait the hook for some advice or pointers.

Last item, as someone who has enjoys variety in his collection, ancients seem fantastic. Compared to what I get for $72 in a US junk silver for instance, this coin seemed like a great buy to me.

Feel free to critique as hard as you want. I'd enjoy it. Not looking to sell it any time soon so it is for the collection.
Pillar of the Community
Italy
1790 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2015  5:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Augustus Maximus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
$ 72 seems a little high but I am an ardent believer in "its worth what someone will pay".
This was a good way to start your Ancients collection I hope you get some more in the future .
Here is a good page were I get most of my info on Late Roman Bronzes

http://www.tesorillo.com/aes/home.htm

Julian is one of my personal favorites so you can't go wrong with a coin of his If you are interested in a few nice examples of his, PM me ( I know a few good examples on the market)
Edited by Augustus Maximus
02/24/2015 5:09 pm
Learn More...
United States
22904 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2015  5:09 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a very nice coin for your first ancient. You paid a bit more than what the coin is worth. These are fairly common coins and sell with in the $15-$25 range in this condition. Most ancient coin collectors prefer not to have their coins slabbed except if they are really rare.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
3626 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2015  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pishpash to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think you paid a little high, but it is a very nice example with almost complete legends. The detail on the portrait is also very nice. Are you going to keep it in the slab? We like to handle our ancients.
Pillar of the Community
United States
689 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2015  5:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuckeyeCoinGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What sold it for me was the beard detail.

Ardent believer that the longest hair on a man's body should always be on his chin.

Not sure what I will do with the coin. If it isn't special, I might like to handle it.

Really want a silver one next.

I loved that Greek tetradrachm owl photo that someone posted here from some super 3d stack shot or what not. Used that pic as my PC background for quite some time.

As for the certified, I worry about fakes so that made the buy impulsable.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
3626 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2015  5:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pishpash to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you are after Roman, then possibly a Siliqua is what you want. Look for full legends ie not clipped. There are silver Ants but sometimes the silver is very debased and mostly copper.

If you want an Athenian Owl, be prepared to dig deep. You would be unlikely to get one in a slab, they don't normally fit! But buy from a dealer that guarantees authenticity. You might pay a few more dollars but it is worth it for peace of mind.
Pillar of the Community
Italy
1790 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2015  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Augustus Maximus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You are going to shell out some money for a good un clipped Siliqua to. I suggest you get some Denarii from the Severan period, they are cheap, very plentiful, and very beautiful.
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2015  5:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ancientgalleon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
BuckeyeCoinguy, Since your new to ancients, keep it in the slab as it adds perceived $ value and also gives you a true baseline for what genuine surfaces and strike should look like.
Also, you didn't overpay for this one. Looks like RIC.105 and at $72 your well under full retail for these in just xf. Comparing to a nice XF as your surfaces are on the average side. You shouldn't have any problem getting what you paid for it from a good Ancient dealer right now.
Pillar of the Community
United States
689 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2015  6:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuckeyeCoinGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A common theme of my collection is the debasement of money. I like the US melt story and can do it in a type set display. Same thing with Canada for the most part. Not a full type set, but lots of examples. Same thing with Mexico, England, France, Germany, and some others. I kind of pick up stuff that is interesting and in budget.

I really like my big aluminum 5 Franc coin. I am a materials science guy and density of PVC formulas pays my bills. The low density metal in a big coin is just a show stopper to me. Probably not worth the $2 - $3 I paid for it either, but it certainly was to me.

I think I would like to do the history of the Roman civilization and their debasement of silver coinage and the decline of the empire / republic / etc.

I think it would be an interesting display to have 30 of the pieces of silver of the type Judas received.

I can think of all sorts of neat ancient collection ideas.

As for the Owl, that is just beautiful and a lifetime type of coin. Ideally I have lots of life left in me to look at coins and dream.

I would really like a Viking coin if there is such a thing too.
Pillar of the Community
Italy
1790 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2015  6:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Augustus Maximus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like you are looking for some Severan Denarii and some Antonininanii.
PM sent.
Edited by Augustus Maximus
02/24/2015 6:20 pm
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
3626 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2015  6:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pishpash to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are Viking coins, you definitely need to get them from a dealer to guarantee authenticity. A lot of the denarii became more and more debased, there is a lot written on it if you search the web.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5155 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2015  8:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ancientnoob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well compared to the other guys, I would be inclined to grab up the coin for $72. The coin granted is common, but these 4th century bronze are scarce and sought after in high grades. The fact that its slabbed MS makes it worth more than it ever will be out of the slab. Honest I'm not a huge fan of slabs, I have freed coins and I have encapsulated coins (all ancient). I would certainly buy this coin and if I were you I would try my darndest to equal that coin on your next purchase and people will tip their hats to your ancient collection.
Learn More...
United States
22904 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2015  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well after checking sales on Vcoins, it appears that the price of this coin type in similar condition is a lot higher than in the past. So it would seem that what you paid is actually not a bad price.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4732 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2015  10:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chrsmat71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yeah, I would say for the condition, that price isn't really unreasoanble.
Pillar of the Community
United States
513 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2015  3:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chuy1530 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good news and more good news. The price for that particular coin is just about right, and other coins during that time period of similar quality are often cheaper so if the bug bites you can actually build up a respectable collection with not a ton of money.

If you're looking for well struck silver coins Gordian III, Philip I, Severus and Postumus are the ones I've noticed the best price:quality ratio on, in that order. There may be others during that time period as well. Generally the earlier you go in Roman history the more expensive the coins get, the major exception being that late Roman silver coins (I think the jump is after Gallienus but there might be some after him) are very expensive. You can find big nice looking silvered bronze coins of the Tetrarchy (especially Diocletian) which would tie into your theme nicely though.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
4208 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2015  4:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ben to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can get these much cheaper but this requires vigilance, patience (by the bucketload) and confidence in authenticity - and you'll have no slab with it. An excellent way to get one of these really cheap is to buy it uncleaned - the major investment there is time.

All ancients are for handling, with few exceptions (crystallised siliquae, mint state gold, museum grade rarities etc), so I recommend you pick up a few 'loose' coins. A good chunky 3rd century ant can be had for 20 on a bad day (my record is under 5 for a lot which included a Gordian III ant) and they can be handled to your hearts content. If you see something you like, post a picture here and we'll be able to tell you its authenticity.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05