Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Super Box That Had 250+ Wheats And 2 Indian Heads!

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 36 / Views: 4,066Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
292 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2015  6:29 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JoggingLiberty to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Ok, I want to start off by saying that I'm new to coin roll hunting and have only done 6-7 boxes of pennies total as I am typing this.

I decided to check a couple rolls from a new box I got last week before going out today. I scanned the ends of the pennies and noticed a different one. Immediately I recognized it as an Indian Head cent reverse. I quickly showed my wife who thought it was just a wheat. I then decided to look at the other side and noticed it was a wheat reverse. I got excited and grabbed my phone to take a video. I really thought that it would be full of only wheat pennies but I was surprised that inside there were a mix of even new dates (2011 being the latest), but still surprised that there were a good amount of wheats in these rolls. I then decided to check the other rolls for wheat ends and found 7 of them with wheat ends. I then opened one non-wheat end roll to find one Wheat penny inside followed by another non-wheat to find one more Wheat penny inside. I then began to open 5 of the seven wheat-end-rolls that I set aside to find that they were loaded with wheat pennies at roughly 10-15 in each roll. This is where I decided to come on here and type this.

When I've coin roll hunted pennies so far I'd be lucky to find 4-5 wheats in the whole box and now I'm finding about one hundred so far and haven't even gotten through a 10th of the box. So this is not "normal" or "average" for what I've seen thus far in my small amount of experience. I am curious if others have seen this. The only place I've seen something like this is those fake "unsearched Wheat penny rolls" that you see on Ebay. If it's that unusual and people want to see the video that I posted of me unrolling one I will show it but I don't know whether or not I'm allowed to link youtube videos here.

Oh yeah, most of the pennies are newer date wheats 40's/50's but the one I'm into now has a lot of 20's and the Indian Head cent was 1906.

Please let me know if I've found something cool. Regardless I'm quite excited about it and ready to go buy up all the pennies from that bank I got these
Edited by JoggingLiberty
03/04/2015 11:58 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1102 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2015  6:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LibertyEagle20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow man that's an awesome find. Most wheats I've got in the 6 or so boxes I've searched is 15-20. Never found an IHC though! Let us know how the rest of the box turns out!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1157 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2015  7:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add skibdib to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
sounds like you have a good box. let us know how it pans out! dream box is over 100 wheats I think..
Pillar of the Community
United States
1217 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2015  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCbass to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the addiction of coin hunting

You have a fantastic box going. Congrats. Enjoy it , you may never hit another one like it

Let us know the tally
Valued Member
292 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2015  7:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JoggingLiberty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Appreciate you guys getting back with me. I've been slowly opening them while taking video(s). I'm well over one hundred so far and I'm not even 3 quarters of the way done with the box. Stopping now for a moment to heat up some food lol. I've only found the one Indian head which I'm a little surprised that there's only one and I just found a steel penny so that was fun since it was my first steel in a box...well and first Indian...heck there's a lot of firsts going on right now!

I'll update this as I go if anything else pops up.
Valued Member
292 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2015  8:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JoggingLiberty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At the moment I'm at 155 wheats, 1 Indian head, who knows what else cause I haven't searched through the other stuff yet. I have 31 rolls left to search.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1157 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2015  8:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add skibdib to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
if there is a number stamped on the box, go back to the bank and ask for other boxes with that number. maybe bring a little chocolate. I hit a dream box like this when I started, and went back to get boxes with the same # stamp on advice of someone here. I found over another 500 wheats after the first box, which had 156 if I recall, which you are about to surpass. I was told to mine the vein! Mine the vein if you can :-)
Valued Member
292 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2015  8:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JoggingLiberty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
if there is a number stamped on the box, go back to the bank and ask for other boxes with that number. maybe bring a little chocolate. I hit a dream box like this when I started, and went back to get boxes with the same # stamp on advice of someone here. I found over another 500 wheats after the first box, which had 156 if I recall, which you are about to surpass. I was told to mine the vein! Mine the vein if you can :-)

I never knew they had numbers stamped on them, but yes I went and looked and mine has a number. I'm going tomorrow and I'll buy as many as they have near that number..and even if they don't I'm buying more :P

Jv5GhXyQWl4
Here's the video of the first roll.

This is what I have sitting on my table so far with 31 rolls left to go.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4809 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2015  9:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rackster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good timing! Sounds like a collection got mixed into the till and a good number of LWCs are there for the picking. Have fun!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5828 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2015  9:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ChildOfTheWheat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OMG someone must have turned in a hored... Great finds, especailly with the IHC
Valued Member
292 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2015  9:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JoggingLiberty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm so mad...I found another Indian Head cent (1898!) but my Iphone keeps stopping the video because it's running out of memory and I didn't capture the moment..lol trying to upload videos to youtube as I'm taking them because nobody is going to believe this box. I'm over 200 now. Exact count coming once I'm finished.
Valued Member
292 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2015  10:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JoggingLiberty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So all the rolls are done. I'll have a final count tomorrow sometime but a rough guess is that I'm somewhere above 250 wheat pennies from that box. The two Indian Head cents are my personal favorites of the day. Appreciate you all looking at this thread and good luck with your hunts.
Valued Member
292 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2015  07:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JoggingLiberty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Final count as of this morning: 252 wheat pennies and two Indian Head cents. Now I get to go through the dates and rest of the box for oddities, rarities and coppers.
Learn More...
United States
87872 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2015  09:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You have an excellent haul of wheat cents. The two Indian Head cents are a bonus.
Valued Member
292 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2015  11:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JoggingLiberty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No way! So I went to the bank I got those rolls from today and the clerk claims she doesn't have an unopened box of pennies (I just don't think she knows she can go into the vault) but I didn't push the issue. I asked her for any half dollars and ended up getting one 40% silver one so I left happy.

So I went to another bank (same company), got an unopened box of pennies and took it home. I was starving to death but I decided I had to open the box before eating. Immediately I noticed that most of the ends looked like newer coins but I decided to flip them all over to the other side....5 have wheat ends! I wanted to open them so badly but I wanted to do it on camera in the off chance that I got another super box. I'll update soon!
Learn More...
United States
87872 Posts
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 36 / Views: 4,066Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.91 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05