Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

US Mint 2016 24k Gold Coins To Celebrate 1916 Designs

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 46
Pillar of the Community
United States
6365 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2015  1:23 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TypeCoin971793 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Heard about this at my coin club. Thoughts?

http://www.coinnews.net/2015/02/06/...916-designs/
Pillar of the Community
United States
604 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2015  1:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Neo13x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hope to have the extra money when they release it. Maybe gold will drop enough to make it possible for me to afford all three.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4678 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2015  1:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheForce to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Although the classic designs are good, though bored with the walking liberty design, I think the US Mint should just come out with something new instead of rehashing old designs.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2791 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2015  1:59 pm  Show Profile   Check Darth Morgan's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Darth Morgan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would prefer these in silver, as originally issued, with the 2016 date. The date alone would make them unique enough, IMO. I could afford to get them all.
My Eisenhower dollar Complete Variety Set, Circulation Strikes and Proof ( PCGS Registry) - https://www.PCGS.com/SetRegistry/do...edset/119137
Darth Morgan - "The Other Ike dollars" Showcase: https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/showcase/3354
Pillar of the Community
United States
1253 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2015  2:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add The Silver Searcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I too would prefer them in silver (if they don't reduce the relief on the designs), perhaps they can get Congressional approval before the appointed time?

Also, I hope they sell them separately. I might be able to afford the Merc.

EDIT: Just a thought, if they struck them in silver with the 2016 date, would they be necessary to complete the sets of those coins?
Edited by The Silver Searcher
03/07/2015 2:09 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2791 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2015  4:40 pm  Show Profile   Check Darth Morgan's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Darth Morgan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just a thought, if they struck them in silver with the 2016 date, would they be necessary to complete the sets of those coins?

A good question. I think that some would consider them new editions to the existing sets, but I feel that the vast majority of collectors would view them as commemoratives only.
My Eisenhower dollar Complete Variety Set, Circulation Strikes and Proof ( PCGS Registry) - https://www.PCGS.com/SetRegistry/do...edset/119137
Darth Morgan - "The Other Ike dollars" Showcase: https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/showcase/3354
Pillar of the Community
United States
1110 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2015  8:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ghostrider to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I too agree that the mint would be better off designing modern coins than bringing back the silver classics with a golden hue. Does anyone at the mint even know what an original design or idea is. Their advisory board certainly does not.

This board does a passable job on the ATB, the various dollar coins, the commeratives so why go back to the past and made a modern tone to a classic coin that we have moved on from.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4678 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2015  9:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheForce to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I propose this for the ASE. I say retire the current design classic and use maybe the Standing Liberty or Barber quarter design or even the Mercury dime design if old designs are going to be rehashed. But ultimately I say an all new design is in order. And it's a true pitty that all the awesome designs are used on gold and platinum bullion coins.
Edited by TheForce
03/07/2015 9:32 pm
Learn More...
United States
82429 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
6427 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2015  12:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverStackerKid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am very exited for this. Maybe I can run into money and buy a dime off ebay.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5828 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2015  11:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ChildOfTheWheat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I want one, but I wish they were being made in silver...
Learn More...
United States
82429 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2015  12:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, the gold is going to price it out of my budget.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1450 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2015  09:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add terry8835 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You know it is not real good to store gold or silver at home even in a safe. The word gets out you have this stuff in quantity you may get midnight visitors carrying large guns. When they put the pistol to your wife's head you will give up combination to your secure safe and maybe get killed anyway. I saw such a case on TV not long ago. This stuff should go in safe deposit box. Cost of safety. In my town these home sale gold salesmen are always getting home invaded. A guy was followed home from store and shot in his front yard and I live in a safe neighborhood if there is such a thing.
Valued Member
United States
75 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2015  10:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gshobar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I allow like them better in silver. They'd be real nice if made in the same dimensions, same relief, same composition, and everything but with 2016 date. The gold brings in more money for mint though, and they would never pass up that on such a key anniversary.
Edited by gshobar
03/11/2015 12:58 am
Valued Member
United States
75 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2015  12:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add iamwayne to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe the gold is to price it out of the majority of the collectors. Kennedy half is around $1200 and 23.33 grams. This set will be 21.25 grams and around the same pricing premium if spot gold doesn't change. Guessing at a limited mintage.

Kennedy half dollar gold coin wasn't interesting enough for me to drop that much money since I can get the silver release. Now if they release the liberty coins in gold only, I have no alternative choice if I really like the design.

If you really want this, might want to purchase a 1/2 and 1/4 gold eagle in 2015 so you don't have to worry about gold prices in 2016. You just pay the mint premium, few hundred, for the 3 coin set after you sell the gold before release. Or you can just save up unknown amount of money because no one knows what the spot price of gold will be next year.

Correct me if I'm wrong in my numbers.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16242 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2015  11:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
EDIT: Just a thought, if they struck them in silver with the 2016 date, would they be necessary to complete the sets of those coins?

In my opinion yes, on the other hand it would let me put a proof Standing Liberty quarter into my 20th century proof type set. (Already have the proof Mercury and Walker.)
Gary Schmidt
Page: of 46 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.68 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05