Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

US Mint 2016 24k Gold Coins To Celebrate 1916 Designs

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 46
Pillar of the Community
United States
6088 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2016  4:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At first the mint's page would not open. When I got on I logged into my account and searched for the dime under gold, nothing, commemorative, nothing. Searched product release schedule for today, nothing. Lastly I went to product release from the original release time, BINGO, I got my order in. Now I have all three.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4825 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2016  4:13 pm  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good timing....all gone now

Edited to add:

oops...didn't go back one page to read the same
Edited by Foxwoods Man
12/15/2016 4:14 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1027 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2016  8:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add clairhardesty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey, my dime is already marked as shipped, might actually get it Monday or Tuesday, before either the Uncirculated Dollar Sets of the 5oz puck. The UDS tracking says that delivery is expected Monday but since they just left Southaven. MS this morning I don't think they have any chance of making that date. The puck hasn't even reached FedEx yet. The dime also says to expect Monday delivery and if it gets to UPS tonight it should make it.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10292 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2016  8:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just received my ship notification as well. Looking forward to checking this guy out.

My dime is also supposed to get here Monday evening (UPS Ground). The puck, which I ordered on 12/10, will get here Tuesday (FedEx/Smart Post).
Pillar of the Community
United States
1027 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2016  10:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add clairhardesty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My dime is at UPS so it should get here Monday (possibly even Saturday if UPS is on a 6-day week for the holidays). My puck was an enrollment order, was marked as shipped by the mint on Friday 12/9, and going by the last FedEx shipment won't get to me until Tuesday. My UDS order was marked as shipped yesterday but is not yet in FedEx hands. The mint needs a service like Amazon Prime, pay an annual fee and get quick shipping on every order. Since I have averaged 18 orders per year since 2008, it would be a nice option for me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4825 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2016  07:23 am  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My subscription puck is "out for delivery" today
Pillar of the Community
United States
1450 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2016  09:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add terry8835 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Claire

I know the Mint did a silver Buffalo nickel and the 1 oz gold Buffalo, but this is still not the same as the way they treated the 1916 group of coins. A one oz. solid gold nickel is a big investment. What about a gold Morgan or Peace dollar or even Draped Bust gold dollar. These might be money makers for the mint. If they continue to charge huge premiums on these coins then it may not work. You know people who are less than 40 years old may have never seen a Buffalo nickel, Mercury dime, SLQ or LWH? When I went to the bank to put some coins in my deposit box I showed the bank manager a LWH dollar. She did not even know what it was. I felt my years.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1027 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2016  11:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add clairhardesty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
terry8835, a gold Buffalo nickel would be a great piece. Since the nickel (and the cent as well) is unique in composition and therefore not stuck at a set ratio compared to other coins (like the dime, quarter, & half), a gold version could match the original in size and volume. By my calculations, such a coin would weigh 10.785 grams or 0.34678 Toz putting it in between the gold SL quarter and the gold WL half in cost. A gold cent would weigh about 6.7 grams or about 0.215 Toz and would cost more than the gold dime but less than the gold quarter. As a comparison, the gold Kennedy half contains 0.75 Toz of gold and has a volume of about 1.209 cc while the 90% silver coin has a volume of about 1.216 cc so the gold coin is within 1% of the volume of the silver one.

If we are going to get gold commemorative cents and nickels in my lifetime (fingers crossed) they are going to have to be 125 year tributes inn 2034 & 2038. I'll have live to be 83 to get the nickel so that might be a stretch.
Edited by clairhardesty
12/16/2016 11:59 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1027 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2016  12:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add clairhardesty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just for fun, here are some metal densities at Standard Temperature & Pressure (STP) of 25 degrees Celsius and 1 Atmosphere (in grams per cubic centimeter), all numbers are approximate, subject to terms and conditions, your milage may vary:

Zinc (Zn) 7.14
Tin (Sn) 7.26
Nickel (Ni) 8.90
Copper (Cu) 8.96
Lead (Pb) 12.02
Silver (Ag) 10.45
Palladium (pd) 11.90
Tungsten (W) 19.25
Gold (Au) 19.32
Platinum (Pt) 21.45
Iridium (Ir) 22.56
and the winner is:
Osmium (Os) 22.61
Pillar of the Community
United States
1450 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2016  11:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add terry8835 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Claire

You can make it to 83. My great, great Grandpappy was a civil war vet who survived four years of war and lived to be 87. His brother in Law was in the War and lived to be 93. Here is the clue to an old age: Don't smoke, don't drink more than a quart of gin a day, take a headache powder every morning, and don't squander your money on coins.....oops! Well three out of four anyway.
I went to Village Coins in Tampa yesterday looking for 1885CC Morgan. They were asking so much I just let the coins fall from my trembling hands. They don't want to bargain or dicker. Just pay retail. They probably paid 50 cents on the dollar and then they charge retail plus $100 for the CC Morgans.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1027 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2016  7:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add clairhardesty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you watch the Heritage Auctions carefully, you can sometimes get a really good deal right after an auction where a lot of people were bidding hard. Sometimes everyone is tapped out and bidding really slows to a crawl. You might find what you want at or even below wholesale. The pics are so good you can tell whether a coin is at the high or low end of its grade. Sometimes you even see coins that were graded low (IMO).

My great, great grandfather was also in the Civil War. My great, great, great, great grandfather was born in 1758 and served in the American Revolution for its entirety, both as a Pennsylvania regular and as one of Daniel Morgan's riflemen. He was at the Battle of Saratoga with the riflemen and turned 20 during The Winter at Valley Forge with the regulars. He was shot seven times in seven separate battles by the time the war ended. He lived to be 72, his son Urias made it to 64, his son Solomon took his own life a age 56, his son Jay was 59, his son Clarence lived to 77, and my father Clarence died at 87. Not a great average at 69 but hopefully I will follow my father's example (without the dementia) and push into my late 80s and pass on a pretty good coin collection to my wife & sons.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10292 Posts
 Posted 12/18/2016  12:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My dime is also supposed to get here Monday evening (UPS Ground). The puck, which I ordered on 12/10, will get here Tuesday (FedEx/Smart Post).

Both my orders came in today (Saturday), when they were supposed to get here Mon and Tue. I'm pretty happy about it. I'll take some photos later when I have better lighting.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10292 Posts
 Posted 12/18/2016  02:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At 10x, My dime seems to be without issue, at least to my untrained (yet picky) eye. No scratches, spots or lint that I could see. From a quality standpoint, I'm happy with it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
907 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2016  09:51 am  Show Profile   Check omxfl's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add omxfl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The latest sales figures are available:

2016 CENTENNIAL GOLD COINS Dec11 Dec18
16XB Mercury Dime 116,096 124,950 +8854 Mintage limit 125,000
16XC Standing Liberty Quarter 84,625 85,325 +700 Mintage limit 100,000
16XA Walking Liberty Half Dollar 58,682 59,048 +366 Mintage limit 70,000

I would expect sales of the two Liberty coins to pick up now due to the highly likely drop in price - should be confirmed later today. But both have some way to go before a sell-out.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9274 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2016  7:43 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, the Walker 1/2oz gold is down to $815 and the Standing Liberty 1/4oz gold is now $435.

https://catalog.usmint.gov/walking-...uct-schedule

https://catalog.usmint.gov/standing...uct-schedule
ANA #R3154474
Page: of 46 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05