Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Replacement Slides For Whitman Classic Album

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
158 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2015  9:36 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add davef to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I think I remember of other members mentioning what material they used to make replacement slides for the Whitman albums. I tried the search feature but found nothing but I may not have done it right.

Does any one know what the material is, where it can be picked up and a rough estimate of the cost? Thank you, I need 13 of them.
Learn More...
United States
14163 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2015  10:09 pm  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This thread talks about replacements for Dansco, but should apply for Whitman albums
http://goccf.com/t/136285

either contact Whitman or make your own out of spare currency holders
<---- expert of nothing, student of everything. My Coin Galleries
Here is: My Want List.... to work on my: Birth Year Set

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating Two Dollar Bills
Learn More...
United States
14163 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2015  10:13 pm  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found that thread and a few others by searching for "replacement slides"
<---- expert of nothing, student of everything. My Coin Galleries
Here is: My Want List.... to work on my: Birth Year Set

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating Two Dollar Bills
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16024 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2015  07:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The clear plastic slide sheets are made from polyvinylacetate. (PVA) It does not have plasticizer softening oil in it, or chlorides.

The same material is used for clear packaging for shirt boxes, toys, games, tools, bulk battery packaging, electronic products, and small electrical and plumbing products.
I usually cut up all of this type of packaging I can find, that is flat, and save it until I need it.

In your case, flat PVA sheet recovered from shirt boxes is probably your best bet.

It is great for strengthening insert material when required inside Mylar / cardboard 2x2's. Some better quality coin flips are made of PVA as well.

PVA sheet is completely harmless for long term storage for coins, otherwise the album manufacturers wouldn't use the stuff.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11867 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2015  08:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I tried going on Whitman web site
hoping they would sell the plastic
slides for my albums. but they don't. I guess they want you to buy a whole new album instead.
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Learn More...
United States
78564 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2015  10:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You might be able to find some acetate sheets at a local craft store. You can cut them down to size for your albums.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12437 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2015  11:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18670 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2015  12:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I tried going on Whitman web site
hoping they would sell the plastic
slides for my albums. but they don't.

If you don't want to make your own, at that web site there should be a customer's service phone number. Try calling that number and give a sob story about how they don't sell slides and you've always been a big fan of Whitman. I did that some time ago and they sent me a package of them free.
Otherwise, try some coin stores for old, used Albums. They should be rather cheap and use those slides.
At coin shows I've never seen just the slides for sale. I wonder if a person could make enough of them to sell for a profit.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
158 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2015  9:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add davef to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the help I will look for the mentioned materials.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4480 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2019  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm still having the same problem today with these, as I have had for years. It's bugged me for years! Have you ever tried cleaning them?

I knew, why waste your time. Just buy new ones. As stated, you can't find them or very difficult to find without buying new pages and removing them.

Use Windex. Take them out of the album first!

100% better! Spray Windex on them and rub it/work it in with your fingers. Rinse with warm water and dry with a soft cotton cloth.

Not good pictures but these are what mine looked like before. You get the point. Sorry, I don't have the after results. They were so clear/clean, you couldn't tell where the slide was in the picture. But trust me, it works.

Proud member of the Black Sheep Squadron!

Learn More...
United States
78564 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2019  11:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
100% better! Spray Windex on them and rub it/work it in with your fingers. Rinse with warm water and dry with a soft cotton cloth.

Not good pictures but these are what mine looked like before. You get the point. Sorry, I don't have the after results. They were so clear/clean, you couldn't tell where the slide was in the picture. But trust me, it works.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11867 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2019  11:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can make your own . Go to a large craft store like Hobby Lobby , Michaels or A.C. Moore . They have sheets of different gauge plastic , just make sure they are not made with PVC .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Edited by T-BOP
01/14/2019 11:22 am
Learn More...
United States
78564 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2019  11:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
They have sheets of different gauge plastic , just make sure they are not made with PVC .
Acetate. I mentioned that back on 4/1/15.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4480 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2019  11:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
just make sure they are not made with PVC

Tony- Are the sheets labeled, what they are made of?

Learn More...
United States
78564 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2019  11:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Like I said, look for acetate sheets. That is what these albums use.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4480 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2019  11:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Acetate. I mentioned that back on 4/1/15

I missed that as well. Duh!

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05