Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

JFK Half Dollar Roll Hunters: Silver, Proofs And Other Finds

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 1689
Learn More...
United States
6561 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2008  1:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GO to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Crud I thought I had a good find at 35 40%

Congrats on an amazing find
Valued Member
United States
322 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2008  2:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikep to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow great find of-grandpa! When you guys order your boxes do they actually come from the US mint? Does the mint use different wraps? I've been picking up boxes at my bank (5th 3rd). The boxes say $500 HALVES. The rolls are wrapped in paper with yellow lines and has the paper mfr. name on it. I've been having a hard time finding anything worth keeping. I did pick up a few loose rolls from another bank that had dark grayish lines on them with no name, had better results. Any tips to share?

Thanks, Mike
Pillar of the Community
United States
6325 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2008  3:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add eaglefoot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fed Reserve wrapped rolls are the yellow and black ones most likely.
U.S. Mint rolls will say just that on them.
Bank wrapped will be machine wrapped with the coin rolling company printed on them. These could be several colors, kinds, and companies of I believe.
And "customer wrapped" are the ones generally where the edges are just push/folded over with your thumb.

Of Grampa......
Ahhhh.....you inspire me !!
Valued Member
United States
415 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2008  3:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add florida to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gramps, don't think it has any significant value like the penny or dollar, but it'd still be cool to find out if it's the clear or blob MM. The smalldollars.com site has the diagnostics for the SBA Type 2, but I can't remember if there's any site that actually has pictures for every denomination.
Valued Member
United States
302 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2008  3:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add of-grampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The rolls I am getting are just like yours...Boxes marked "$500 Half Dollars" and the rolls are yellow and white marked "$10.00 Half Dollars"

I have 2 different banks supplying me at the moment and I have 1 bank where I do all my dumps. The first bank had been cold for 4 months or more. I'd get 1 box per week (plus any turned in by customers). The tellers really appreciate me taking the ones from the customers so they don't have to deal with them in their counts. I was getting brand new 1996d (complete boxes) for months on end. I'd open up the box, open the roll, look for clips or die-stike erros, then dump. I guess I've worked through most of those because the last 3-4 boxes from this bank have been pretty good. This bank uses Loomis Armored.

The second bank started out pretty good then kinda dried up and then started producing like crazy. I'm hoping this continues. This bank uses a small private Armored service (I can't even remember the name) but I think this may be why it has done so well.

The best advise I can give you is searching volume and seeking out new sources. Find out what armored service a bank uses and when you find 1 that is different than what you are using now give it a try. This may mean opening up 3 or 4 different checking accounts.

You may wonder how you can tie up $500-$1000 in rolls. Start out with $500 and go buy a box. Search it, set aside your keepers, dump, and repeat (you will need to add cash to your $500 as you set aside your keepers). When you need to pay bills with this money, deposit it and pay your bills. When you get another $500 free buy more boxes and go to work searching again. Now, here is the part most don't like but it is important for you to do so you can increase your volume.

Once you have appx $100 face in 40%ers (or you can do a mixture of 40%-90%) you need to find someone and SELL THOSE SILVERS! (I know, about 1/3 of the readers of this thread just had chills down their spines! ) I'm sure you probably don't want to do this but what you are doing in generating working capital. This will allow you to take your original $500 that you have been using to pay bills AND search rolls and put it back to the bills. Now you've got money that doesn't have to be used for anything else. Do this a couple times and you can do 2 boxes at a time without stretching yourself financially.

Once you have the volume going you can decide either to keep all your 40%ers/90%ers or you can do like I am and use those finds to finance the coins you really want.

These are just a few ideas that might help. For those of you still reeling from the thought of selling silver halves, (inhale deep breath) "In with the good air" and (exhale deep breath) "Out with the bad air"
Pillar of the Community
United States
1299 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2008  4:15 pm  Show Profile   Check murty's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add murty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do you bring a whole box of $500 to deposit at your bank?
If so any push-back from the bank?
Valued Member
United States
302 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2008  5:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add of-grampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No pushback whatsoever. My drop bank has a lobby coin-counting machine so I go in, dump, run the coins, and take the receipt to the tellers. I take up to $1000 at a time and almost every time I am there they have to change the bag. Two-three times a month I take them ice cream so they are REALLY glad to see me and I take ice cream for everyone there, not just the teller that takes care of me.

I forgot to mention in my earlier disertation (ROFL) that developing a relationship with the banks, and especially the tellers, is CRUCIAL. You want them to smile when they see you, not go on break. You want them saving you coins and bills and the only way for that to happen is for you to go out of your way. You catch more flies with sugar than vinegar
Valued Member
United States
302 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2008  11:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add of-grampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I worked my 2 boxes and, although great compared to quite a few boxes I've had in the past, these 2 boxes weren't what the last 2 boxes from the same bank were like.

Box 1 had a 1964 Kennedy, a 2003 NIFC, a 82p No FG on Reverse, and 6 40%ers.

Box 2 had a 1950d Franklin, a 1951d Franklin, a 1954d Franklin, 8 40%ers, and a possible 1973d DDO (I'm going to need more eyes on this one).

Taken all together, it was a very good day searching halves.
Valued Member
United States
80 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2008  09:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sparhawk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I got a $100 of halves the yesterday while opening a saving account for my son and was pleasantly surprised...

a complete roll of 40% (mostly 1968 with a stray 65 and 67 thrown in. As well as 40 others mixed between 65-69 with one 1964. That's 61 out of 200 that were keepers. I also found about 30 Bicentennial halves. Gonna keep them, but not sure if they will be worth it...I'm going back because they implied that they have more halves!!
Valued Member
United States
302 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2008  09:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add of-grampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Buy all they have....and hopefully you will hit it big again. My personally I wouldn't keep the 76's. They were hoarded like crazy back in the day and they just aren't worth the room they take up....unless you like them

Great name btw. Eddings is a fantastic writer and that series was a really fun read.
Edited by of-grampa
07/01/2008 09:21 am
Valued Member
United States
80 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2008  09:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sparhawk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the advise...My kids like getting the 1976s for allowance. Eddings is one of my favorites, Sparhawk is just one of those guys you know where he stands..never a question...I'm like that too, less the broken nose...
Pillar of the Community
United States
832 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2008  10:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver Eagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Buffalo, NY is now dry of silver. I have not found a silver half in over two months. Surprisingly, I received a 1942 Mercury dime in change the other day - a glimmer of hope!
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2008  3:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jeffusa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I am gonna start hitting up different branches of my bank on paydays to see what I can get.

Yesterday, I went one branch and they had no rolls of fifties. They had $10 worth in 2 different drawers so I grabbed everything they had. No silver and didn't notice anything special besides the one 76 piece I got. Most of these coins were beat up pretty bad.

I am gonna have to write down what they key dates to look for after the silver are in case I make a good future find. I didn notice a different finish on the newer ones. Is that what the business strike is?

Valued Member
United States
317 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2008  8:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Terror Of Zanarkand to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I worked another $40 worth the other day....only 2 keepers though...a 1974-S and......A 1970-D!!
Pillar of the Community
United States
716 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2008  8:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yinzi50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats on the 70D, TOZ. I've been looking it for a long time and couldn't found it.
Edited by Yinzi50
07/03/2008 8:52 pm
Page: of 1689 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 3.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05