Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

JFK Half Dollar Roll Hunters: Silver, Proofs And Other Finds

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 1690
Learn More...
United States
76302 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2008  12:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A coin that is NIFC is one that you would not expect to find since they were only available to collectors.

All half dollars from 2002 to date are NIFC, none were offered to the banks for circulation. Therefore, any half that you find dated 2002 or newer is NIFC.

The 1970-D half was only included in the mint set. If you find one of these in circulation, then you know it was taken from a set.

1968 and later S-mint coins would be from proof sets. But the 1964 and earlier proofs were from Philadelphia and have no mint-mark; it could be more difficult to distinguish one you found from a business strike, depending on how worn it was.

What could be hard to determine are the coins broken from regular mint sets, coins that were also released to the banks for circulation.
Valued Member
United States
314 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2008  6:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chris1222nascar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Found 20 90%'s and 60 40%'s. Also found a 1966 Australian coin that has 50 written on it. Does anybody know anything about this coin and what it may be worth?
Pillar of the Community
United States
6325 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2008  8:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add eaglefoot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Post up pics of reverse and obverse......
Pillar of the Community
United States
2568 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2008  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Check XavierOfGreen's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add XavierOfGreen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
went through a box last night and found 12 40%s 5 franklins, 3 walkers, and two silver proof 40%s a 70s and 69s
Oldest Found-------
Cent: 1842 (from machine) ---- Three Cent: 1866 [Nickel] (from machine)
Nickel: 1883 (from roll) ---- Dime: 1911 (from roll)
Quarter: 1932 (from machine) ---- Half: 1917 (from roll)
Dollar: 1880 (from machine) ---- Foreign: 1863 (from machine)
Valued Member
United States
302 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2008  01:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add of-grampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, some really good boxes here lately. I went through a box and found 1 40% and 1 90%. I'll let you know about DDO's later
Valued Member
United States
314 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2008  2:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chris1222nascar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I don't have a camera with me right now but this is what it looks like (not in as good of condition but I will post pics next weekend).

Image: aust.jpg
89.61 KB
Pillar of the Community
United States
2547 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2008  3:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mycrob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had a bad string this past week- went to 8 banks, most of which had less than $5 in halves (some had none). Came away with about $65 total and NO SILVER at all.

Three tellers told me "I just shipped them out", yet I keep asking them to keep them aside for me. They say "sure" and I leave my phone number, but they still ship them out. ARRGGH. One teller said she had just shipped out $200 worth in halves.
Edited by mycrob
08/14/2008 3:12 pm
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2008  11:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Neilgin1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
new to this forum...first post.

I pay. Let me explain.

About six months, I began to get nervous about banks, paper money, etc. So I began to take savings, and very slowly and carefully, I would bid on Ebay for rolls of 64 Kennedy's, Franklins, pre-65 Roosevelts, and Mercury dimes.

I know that Ebay is a minefield, so I was very very careful. I was only interested in rolls that were AU/BU, and before I bid, I carefully studied the seller's feedback, history, the way they described the coins etc. There's a way you can discern how a "positive" feedback is really a stealth negative feedback, for instance, if you see a lot of terse "thank you's", thats a bad sign.

Anyway, I guess I've been blessed because I was able to buy $80 face value of 64 Kennedy halves, $40 FV Franklins, and $65 FV silver dimes, all in AU/BU, and without any tomchincanery or nightmare Ebay hassles, and never paid more than a $30 premium over melt value.

Mind you, I'm not really a nusimatic collector, it was more my way of creating a "passbook" savings account that I hold, but when I would get the coins, some in paper bank roll, or "OBW", as they would claim (yeh right)I would carefully transfer them to plastic holders.

Beautiful coins. I know I could take them to a grading service like NGC, and even with my untrained eye, I can see that there would be many that would grade high, and I believe I have some "hair" Kennedy's (I've read of the indications, the "I" missing the bottom left, etc) but I really dont want to sell.

Since silver has taken a dive, 20 to mid 12, I'm stopping for now, and seeing where the market sorts itself out at .....maybe in this area, down to 10 an ounce.

my first goal is to "bank" $1000 face value of the pre-65 silver US coins.

This is a great forum, and I just wanted to share my collecting experiences with you all.

Thanks and God bless.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1660 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2008  6:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cladking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

1968 and later S-mint coins would be from proof sets. But the 1964 and earlier proofs were from Philadelphia and have no mint-mark; it could be more difficult to distinguish one you found from a business strike, depending on how worn it was.

What could be hard to determine are the coins broken from regular mint sets, coins that were also released to the banks for circulation.

S minted '68-'74 cents, '68-70 nickels, and '79/ '80 dollars were released to circulation. There were also a very few 1981-S dollars released.

Identifying mint set coins can be very difficult unless you're familiar with the sets. With the coins that actually circulate it's a reasonably good rule of thumb that any lightly worn coin with a good strike from new dies is a mint set coin. Once they wear to less than Fine it gets very difficult to have a good opinion on whether they are min set or not. You can find a few heavily worn dimes from the mid-'70's with mint set crimping damage. They had a lot of trouble with these coins falling out of their proper position before the plastic was sealed and then it would be damaged in the process. Attrition on dimes in circulation is very high so you won't find many of these. There have probably been more than 50,000 put in circulation. Indeed even a lot of the gems from sets get spent because dealers want to get rid of them and the fastest way is to dump them in the till. Most dealers used to put anything modern in the till. Then some premiums started developing and now they'll check the Greysheet first.
Time don't fly, it bounds and leaps.
Learn More...
United States
16270 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2008  8:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just ordered 2 boxes from my bank. Will post my finds when I'm done searching. LOL.
Learn More...
United States
76302 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2008  9:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Quote:
1968 and later S-mint coins would be from proof sets.
S minted '68-'74 cents, '68-70 nickels, and '79/ '80 dollars were released to circulation.
I made this statement this in the context of this thread topic, which is for JFK Half Dollar Roll Hunters!
Valued Member
United States
227 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2008  4:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinsrus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have searched through $520 worth of Half dollars
I got
90%-2
40%-4
That gives me a silver average of about 1 coin of 174. granted I would say all six came from 3 rolls maybe 4
Id say about 60% of the rest fell between the dates of 72 and 76
Valued Member
United States
227 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2008  4:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinsrus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Has Anyone had Any luck with Brinks Rolled Half Dollars? and is that what you get when you order a whole box?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3294 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2008  4:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nod2003 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I went through a Brinks box and got 3 40% one of them a proof bicentennial.
Valued Member
United States
346 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2008  5:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TimJing to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can't say I did poorly today... teller at SunTrust knowingly gave me a '64 half

Only got $500 worth, though... found a few NIFC and a '67. And a proof bicentennial as well... is it 40% for certain?
Page: of 1690 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 5.07 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05