Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

JFK Half Dollar Roll Hunters: Silver, Proofs And Other Finds

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25,873 / Views: 1,828,389Next Topic
Page: of 1725
Pillar of the Community
United States
2548 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2008  4:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mycrob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, that's an extraordinary % of silver from a box. Amazing what you can still find in circulation. Are you planning to sell the silver to buy other coins or keep the silver, hoping it will continue to climb?

After I do my two boxes of $500 next week, I'll combine my totals with yours, plus all the previous posts in here and update the list.

Keep the 01P and 06P- never released for circulation.
Valued Member
United States
66 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2008  4:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Robberbaron to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have gone through around $3000 in the last month. My first foray into searching for silver in years. I have noticed that most of the coins I am getting are 1971's and 1976's. Most silver is 1968 band 1968D. I have also found a gold plated 1976 which is a novelty I will give to a cousin or something.
However I wanted to comment in the people who mark awesome looking coins with marker. As a collector I would never deface coins. I make sure that I am getting coins from one bank and returning them to another. Both use different armored car companies. There should be no need to deface perfectly good BU coins.
Valued Member
United States
99 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2008  7:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ME CO to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
196 40% and 2 90%, that almost bests my record of 236 40% in one box. Major congrats are in order. HH Mark
Pillar of the Community
United States
581 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2008  7:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kabiye_Lady to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Keep the 01P and 06P- never released for circulation."

I'm quite sure the 2001 coins were released in general circulation. It is from 2002 and they were not released.

I see 2001's all the time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
559 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2008  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add patrick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys.

I'll probably end up selling the JFKs to buy some other coins I've been watching for a while. I'm going to check with my local dealers tomorrow and see what they'll offer. Hopefully they won't try to rip me off too much. I've been following nohope's post in the sale section http://goccf.com/t/23833). It's been very helpful in determining what I might expect for these.

Robberbaron mentioned marked coins. I saw a few of these but not too many. Several looked like they had been dipped in red paint - very weird.

patrick
Pillar of the Community
United States
559 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2008  8:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add patrick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The discussion about whether or not the 2001 halves were released for circulation interested me so I did some checking. There's an article here

http://www.coinworld.com/news/020303/news-2.asp

It says
quote:
Fewer than 5 million of the 19,504,000 2001D Kennedy half dollars struck for circulation were shipped to the Federal Reserve for circulation distribution, with all of the 21.2 million 2001-P half dollars still reportedly in Mint vaults.
The date on this was Jan 2003.

It's clear that some of these P mint coins have now been released. If the mint is holding a number of these in the vaults the rarity of this coin in some samples could be erased if the mint suddenly releases them for some reason. Seems like I've heard a story like that somewhere before....
Valued Member
United States
314 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2008  8:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chevrolet454ss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In my 10 boxs I did this week. I found maybe serval piles of 1982 and 1983 both mints that are almost perfect . I need go thru and make solid date rolls out those 82 and 83 coins. My quastion How much are those worth since set builders tear up mint sets to fill there books. Those are were never installed in mint sets in those years. I put all those in boxs to save them.

I am working fill boxs to dump back into banks and I have so many half dollars I dont know what do with it seems. I already dumped over 2000 dollars worth so far. There are so many I cant keep them all and tons super nice coins I sending back to bank set builders could use them . Maybe 100 bucks face worth of 2000 philly bu rolls , Brand new coins I hate to see get wasted back into banks aslong with serval 71 thru 76 bu rolls , Lots on 1990 something coins, 1970 something also.

My thing is I need dump them to buy another 10 boxs is why to find pre 69 silvers, 2002 thru 2007 coins to finish my sets, proof coins etc to build my 1 keeper set aslong with 3 folders without proofs I going sell on ebay later to make few dollars to buy walkers, and frankins half dollars to build those sets.

Is it worth making rolls on 1982 and 1983 coins to save since it was an not mint set year and toss the rest back into banks. Is it worth leting all 71 thru 2001 bu coins go back into bank but keep all 1982 and 1983 coins out this batch. Those 82 and 83 are they Key dates ? I dont know if they are key dates but they were non mint set coins those years.

I called one dealer serval monlths ago buying half dollars in houston where I live on those bu rolls of 71 thru 2000 stuff I collected up. He told me they dont buy them and send back to banks . He also told to spend those susan dollars since they did not want them and they give them out change. I never did ask about 82 about 83 half rolls of them. Reason I never had them intill today.

Chevrolet454ss
Valued Member
United States
314 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2008  8:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chevrolet454ss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Patrick,

You were talking about 2001 coins in bank vaults at us mint. In 2007 they were selling brand new 2001 p and d rolls of halfs on us mint website for 35 bucks for roll set. If you check website you will find them for sale.

I know of guys buying fedboxs of halfs to search for silver in 2007. There has one been than once those guys I heard about guys geting intire boxs of 2000 bu coins that are all brand new coins they never used. I dont if they were philly or denver boxs of all new 2000 coins in 2007. They upset since they got brand new all 2000 coins and silver boxs.

Chevrolet454ss
Valued Member
United States
314 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2008  8:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chevrolet454ss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Patrick,

Sorry not old boxs like was talking about.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2548 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2008  11:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mycrob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To clarify the confusion: 2001D halves were released for circulation as normal. 2001P were not released in 2001, but became available either in 2006 or 2007 from the mint only. The weird thing is that half dollar roll searchers have reported seeing 2001P in their bank boxes (rarely). So those are coming either from mint sets from 2001 that were broken open and spent, or from these recently-made available 2001P from the mint. It is strange that a 21 million mintage coin (2001P) is a key date, but it is.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2548 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2008  5:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mycrob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My $1000 in halves I ordered didn't come in this week as promised. They had to "special order it" and it now won't be in until next week. I was hoping to go thru them this weekend but it will have to wait.
Pillar of the Community
United States
559 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2008  9:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add patrick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a bummer. I was supposed to pick up an order today but it also didn't come in. The manager said that the distribution center ran out and they needed to order them from the Fed. He told me that he would call on Monday when they came in.

My hopes of hitting another load of silver like the last are shrinking a bit. I think that someone turned in grandpa's coin jar and it contained a bunch of silver. This went to the "local" distribution center and then to me. Now that it's tapped out and new boxes are coming from the Fed, the silver content is likely to be more normal. Oh well, there's still a few holes I need to fill so I'll keep looking for those.

Good luck with yours when them come in.
Pillar of the Community
United States
749 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2008  6:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky_13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a start of my JFK collection..
I dont roll hunt, I roll keep

2 71D
1 72
2 72D
1 73
2 73D
1 74D
1 1776-1976
2 1776-1976D
1 77
1 77D
2 78
1 79D
1 80P
2 80D
1 81P
1 82P
2 83D
1 85P
1 88D
1 89D
1 90D
2 92P
1 93P
1 95D

I hope this is what your looking for and that it helps.

Pillar of the Community
United States
749 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2008  9:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky_13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oo Oo Oo!

I just found some more in my stash ..let me add these dates

1 66
1 72
1 72D
1 73D
3 76D
1 85D
Pillar of the Community
United States
2548 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2008  09:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mycrob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lucky- are these entire rolls you listed? If so, out of how many coins searched? If you have a 79D roll, that is spectacular. I only have maybe two coins out of thousands and thousands of coins searched and I live in "D" country. I still don't have a 78D and 88D for one of my sets and hope to find it soon.

What I had been hoping for in this thread is that folks search their $500 box of halves, or customer-wrapped halves and give a coin by coin breakdown of what they found. Some of that has been done in this thread. I'm looking to continued to expand this coin by coin analysis, because I think we are uncovering some dates that are very difficult to obtain.

Page: of 1725 Previous TopicReplies: 25,873 / Views: 1,828,389Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05