Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

JFK Half Dollar Roll Hunters: Silver, Proofs And Other Finds

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 1690
Valued Member
United States
296 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2008  09:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bowfin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
How much does a BOX of Halves cost? So I can just order a couple from my bank? How long does it usually take to get them?

A box costs $500. Yes, just go to your bank and tell them you want to order a box of halves. If they give ou grief find a new bank.

Banks have at least one day a week they get their coin orders delivered. The banks I work with need to put their order in 2 days in advance of delivery. So depending on what day you place an order and what day they take delivery it could be 2 to 7 days.
Valued Member
United States
296 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2008  09:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bowfin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
And on a final note, I wanted to share this image with all of you. You know it is giong to be a good roll when you see this:

Happy Hunting!

Sights like that when you crack open a box definitely gets the heartbeat to tick up a notch.

Pillar of the Community
United States
918 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2008  1:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mfhorn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Morgantype and Bowfin:
Seeing the Liberty Bell or Ben's face makes one do a double take, that's for sure. The 97 I got was luck. Have been through many boxes lately with nothing. With the economy the way it is, I think there will be many more 'treasures' turned into banks.

On the note of paper money: Have you ever ask a teller if they get in any $500 or $1000 bills? I know they a suppose to turn them in to the FED, but who would know. One of the banks I visit said a branch took in (10) $1000 bills a couple years ago and a couple employees got two of them. They turned in the rest. Sure would like to get my hands on one.
Valued Member
United States
128 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2008  2:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Norcal Jim to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ordered another box. Let's see if I have any luck.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3294 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2008  09:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nod2003 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Went through a box yesterday and found a 1969 and a 1942 WLH.
Valued Member
United States
164 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2008  12:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morgantype to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey all, I had a great find today.

I got my parents into CRHing, and we were having a blast today. All in all we were able to get:

35 40% JFKs and 4 90% (2 JFK, 1 bennie and a WLH)

The kicker of the whole thing is that my mom was making her way through a roll, and she said, "Oh, a really old one." This was the WLH. So then I asked what date, and she said, "1921."

I stopped, could she really be telling me that she found a key-date WLH in a roll......

So, then I ask what the mint mark is? She turns it over (and in my head I want her to say D) and she says, "Oh, it is an S. Those are supposed to be the proofs right." (She is too cute trying to learn about coins)

So I look it up in my trusty Red Book - 50 bucks in G4.

I tell you, it is not much to look at but it is a 1921-S. The Red Book says G4 = rims defined and motto legible. I would say this coin is BARELY making it there, probably AG3 or G4 on a good day.

However, it doesn't really matter because it only cost me 50 cents and it is giong to fill the hold in my Dansco.

Happy hunting!!
Valued Member
United States
128 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2008  04:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Norcal Jim to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That was my worst box yet, only 4x 40%. I did find a couple NFIC though 2002p & 2008p
Pillar of the Community
United States
1199 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2008  3:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ratio411 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found about 150 bux worth of halves today over
several banks. All I got was one 1964...

I haven't searched for a few months. Before was
always much better. I could often round up 20 bux
worth and find 3 or 4 40%s and at least 1 90%.

I guess high silver prices this past summer dried
up all the silver.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1199 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2008  3:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ratio411 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I asked her to let me buy it but she turned me down.
Then she points to her supervisor and says she collects
coins too, so much for loose silver there.

I had a bank teller give me the same line while she was
counting out 7.00 in halves one day. I bought all she had,
and she examined each one before handing them to me.

Out of those 14 halves, there were three 40% and one 90%!
She even stopped on the 64 and bounced it off the counter
a couple times to listen to the sound! I just tried to keep
a straight face as she handed them to me after making
absolutely sure they weren't silver...
Pillar of the Community
United States
3294 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2008  4:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nod2003 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In my last box I got a 2002 and 2 2005s (1 P and 1 D)
Valued Member
United States
415 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2008  6:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add florida to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I had a bank teller give me the same line while she was
counting out 7.00 in halves one day. I bought all she had,
and she examined each one before handing them to me.

Out of those 14 halves, there were three 40% and one 90%!
She even stopped on the 64 and bounced it off the counter
a couple times to listen to the sound! I just tried to keep
a straight face as she handed them to me after making
absolutely sure they weren't silver...

I shouldn't complain then. That's worse than being told, "Yes" only to find out they don't have $25 worth of halves, but a roll of 25 dollar coins that they don't realize are not halves.
Valued Member
United States
128 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2008  4:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Norcal Jim to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Picking up another box today will post up the results.
Valued Member
United States
128 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2008  9:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Norcal Jim to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well it was a little better than the last box. But, not much 5x 40% and 2 NFIC 2003 and 2005.
My total for 4 boxes was:
3x 90% all 1964
26x 40% 1966-1969
4x NFIC. 2003-2008

still need 1965,1986 p, and 1987 p&d to complete my set.
(and of corse 1970, 2003 p, 2004 p&d, 2005 p, 2006 p&d, 2006 p&d, and 2008 p)
Edited by Norcal Jim
10/23/2008 9:58 pm
Valued Member
United States
264 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2008  12:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Madmartigan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well I lost my great bank teller about 5 months ago as she got divorced and moved out of state. I sure do miss those days. Her replacement is a little stuffy but I'm working on her. She remembers me from bringing in tons of coins at her old bank. I fessed up and told her I go them from here and dumped them at the other bank due to one of her co-workers being a witch one day. As luck would have it the new teller had 22 $1 coins and a roll of halfs. So I purchased everything she had. Found a 1953 Franklin in the half roll. Best find I've had in months. Maybe it's time to order a box or two again.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6325 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2008  3:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add eaglefoot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just ordered a full box of halves from my bank a couple of days ago. They said it'd be about a week or so before they come in. I've taken a break for awhile.........gonna try again. If I find no silver.....it'll be four boxes in a row with NOTHING !!.......so everybody cross their fingers for me please !!
I would settle for ONE beat up ole' 1968........but I want to get as lucky as so many others have here !!>........dang it !.......it's MY turn now ~!!~...
Page: of 1690 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05