Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

JFK Half Dollar Roll Hunters: Silver, Proofs And Other Finds

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25,873 / Views: 1,828,397Next Topic
Page: of 1725
Pillar of the Community
United States
749 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2008  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky_13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
mycrob..oh.. I guess I misunderstood the thread. I was just listing what I have.

And I will add this one I forgot I put in my purse from a find

1 80P

Im sorry I was just trying to help a bit
Valued Member
United States
314 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2008  11:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chevrolet454ss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mycrob,

One thing I learned after trying to finish 6 sets of those things from going thru 7000 dollars worth them in last few monlths. I just checked coin dealers to see how much they charge for my missing dates and went over the price list. I think I will wait and try serval more boxes on them. Its seems my coins are expensive on what I need compared to other years that cost 1.5 each on 2002 thru 2007 coins. Lots coins are cheap like two bucks each.

Key dates and expensive half dollars are.
1 1978 p or d cost 4.95 each.
2 1986 philly is an key date at 7.50 each. I need 4 count totol.
3. 1993 philly is 4 bucks each I need 4 of those.
The rest of them are cheap like 1.5 to 3 bucks per coin.

Those dates are expensive to buy and are keys or semi keys. I am short of finding after 14000 coins searched. I would check it and do an break on what dealers charge for certain dates. Its easy the most expensive coins are key dates and rest are easy to find out there.

Its hard to get good ideas on figures since those halfs just never circulate and serval boxes I bought sat in bank vaults for few years before I bought them. Two 2007 boxs was wraped in 2004 when I bought them. My freinds have had Feds send them bu bank wraps of solid date boxes of 2000 boxes with all brand new 2000 coins in them before in 2007. They sat at banks all those years before they bought them to search them.

My 10 boxs I bought this year from loomis was hand wraped and had two 2007 coins in there . One was denver and other was proof 2007. Loomis is hand wraping rolls on halfs and think they are pulling silver coins? But the 3 fedboxs I got I pulled 22 count on silver coins.

With all proof coins and 2002 thru 2007 I found at random in those. My thory is the public hoards those halfs since out 10 banks in I deal with in soulth texas dont carry half dollars. Almost every box had an proof coin or 2002 and up coin in there. Its seems I am onley person in south texas asking banks to ordor them. I had teach some bank peaple on how to ordor them. Very few in public has those things. The public gets in to trouble and needs money. They dump there collections of half dollars they buy from us mint or from dealers. They tear up proof sets , mint sets and use the 2002 thru 2007 coins since they need money . Lots of time Bank tellers tell me they dont get any for monlths at time . I check maybe 10 banks each week looking for ikes and halfs.

When I was working at bowling center from 2000 thru 1993. My boss would save all dollar coins or halfs for me. It me over 7 years just get 60 bucks face on those 71 and up half dollars . My job had over 20000 dollars in cash come into that place each weak from 1993 thru 2000. This was before the us mint quit selling to banks in the year 2002.

The onley place I ever seen an large amount them was in casio in new orleans maybe 350 miles miles from where I live in 2001 and in 1996 when I went there. I never seen them again like that. That was before I started collecting them in 2007 and wanting to build sets out my half dollars I saved all those years from work.

In south texas the onley peaple buying fedboxs are roll searchers looking for silver or collecters. No body esle buy those things or banks dont want them. Me and one other guy I know in south texas even want them or buy them it seems where I live.

I would not invest an lot time in trying to write an book or something about half dollars like coppercoins wants to do with the cent project. Like I said they dont circulate like dimes, pennys, nickels, Quarters. Halfs only circulate with coin dealers , roll searchers, colletors, Maybe inside an gaming hall with slot machices. They are not out there and when I spend them all over place they cause problems and some the younger clerks dont know or seen them half dollars before. They are two big to work inside any vending machice like Ike dollars I learned when I tryed to use in an coke machice.

Good luck with Half dollar project like the cent project you are wanting to do.

Chevrolet454ss

United States
22 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2008  05:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alcochaser to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just joined this forum, but I hang on another. The number of posts on the Kennedy halves here lured me in.

I Half Search a lot.. I don't keep scores, but my searching is substantial. I also Eisenhower dollar search a lot.

Halves are a true enigma. A lot of it has to do with low use and the Federal Reserve Banks.

Unlike some other denominations, Halves do not travel from FRB to FRB a whole lot. Quarters get moved a lot by truckers. They use them for tolls and laundry. Halves do not. They sit, sometimes for a LONG times. Enter into the mix, halves have much lower mintages then the other denominations. Some FRBs may never order halves one year, or may only order a scant amount. Another FRB may order a lot. The FRB that ordered a lot would easily wipe out mint stock on a 80s or 90s year. The FRB that ordered none would never see the missed coins.

Some of the dates marked hard to find are easily found here. 78-D is one. Here in Indiana we draw from the Chicago FRB, This FRB gets stock from ether mint, being almost equal distant. I have seen this with the new Dollar coins and Quarters. There are other dates, that are not listed that can be harder to find. But none overly so. I can complete a 1971 to 2001 AND 2005. P and D set. (Minus 1987) with as little as $500 outlay. Yes the 86s are scarcer, But they can be found. I am still trying to figure out why 2005 is so prevalent, sometimes more then the 86s!

I travel around some, and try and grab halves from other places. I see differences in the coin makeups, but not enough data to post details.

Silver wise, 1 40% per $300 is the average. 1968 and 1969 is the most common.
Bens, Walkers, and 64 Kennedy slip in too rarely.

Collectors HEAVILY influence halves as well. Here we get a inordinate amount of not intended for circulation Halves here. Returned searched rolls sit in banks, etc etc. They get searched HARD as well.

If anyone is interested, I will share some of the same sore of info on the Ike dollars. Yes they STILL can be had from the Fed, at least the Chicago bank.

40% SILVER can be found in them. S mint Uncirc and Proof. Like the Halves, coins intended for collectors slip in Since the Ikes are not heavily searched they show up more readily. Clad proof Ikes show too.

Keys to the Copper Nickel Ikes
1973P and D
1972 Type II P.
1976 Type I P.

The Obvious key for the ikes are the 1973 coins. I have never found a Clad, Silver, or Proof 1973 from the bank.
1972 Type II was made with ONE DIE at the Philla mint. A Proof die reverse was used for one run of Ikes.
The 1975 P mint mintage was much lower the Denver. You almost have to get these out of Mint sets.

Semi Keys
1977P and 1977D
1977 Ikes are mysteriously absent in Copper Nickel. Rarely do they show. Found enough for one set.

The rest can be found easily.

Alcochaser
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2008  05:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alcochaser to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
--with as little as $500 outlay--

For a box to search. I get my money back for all the ones I do not need.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2548 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2008  09:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mycrob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting alcochaser. I suggest you start on IKE analysis thread. I'm sure there are a lot of people who would be interested.
Pillar of the Community
United States
559 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2008  12:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add patrick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum alcochaser. Thanks for sharing your analysis of halves from Chicago - very interesting.

I second mycrob's suggestion about the IKE thread. I am interested in completing this series. I only have 4-5 coins from when I was a kid and dollars were a bit too expensive to collect . I didn't know you could still order them from banks. Thanks for that information! I will have to try them next.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2548 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2008  09:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mycrob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just got $240 in customer-wrapped halves yesterday. No silver

It was the most unusual group I've ever gotten. >95% of the coins were 1971-1980, rest 81-86. Almost all were full rim and >75% were XF-BU. The best for me was getting 6 1979D, which has been very elusive- gone through $1000s and $1000s and only have gotten 2. 5 of 6 were AU-BU.

The other wierd thing is that the remaining 25% not XF-BU were full rim coins that had extensive corrosion, like they had gotten wet at some time.

Always interesting what you find in circulation.
Valued Member
United States
128 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2008  2:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numi 63 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Alcochaser-

Thanks for sharing that info on the Ikes. I too have been seriously considering an attempt at ordering a box of Ikes. After thinking about it for awhile, I figured surely there would be some boxes of them sitting in a fed bank (or similar) somewhere. Especially when you consider the numbers that where minted verses their unpopularity with the public. Is it 50 rolls in a box for $1000 or can smaller $ amounts be ordered?

I'll have to wait until after my tax return but I am going to have to visit my friend who is an administrative assistant at my bank. I'm hoping this approach will cut down on the leg work for me. Not that she's the one that does the ordering but I'm guessing she will be able to send me to the best person in the area for the job.

The only Ike I own at this time is a 1976S. I'm pretty sure it's one of the silver clad ones as it looks alot like the 40% silver clad halves (I've found 10 of these to date). Not sure if it's a proof or not because I don't think that I've ever held a proof in my hand (that I know of anyway). Aside from a couple of scuffs and dings on Ikes face it's in really nice shape.

Please do start a new thread on the Ikes. I would likely spend alot of time there. When you do start it could you give us a heads up over in the "How Many Are Into Coin Roll Hunting?" thread? That is where I (and perhaps others) spend most of my time right now.

By the way I'm down in western KY. Since I'm not TOO far south of your location maybe I'll have similar results on the halves and dollars that you've been finding. I'll let you know when I get back at it very soon.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2548 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2008  4:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mycrob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Today I really had a good day. I got 2.50 in loose halves from one bank- had 1 90% and 16.00 from another branch had 1 40%, 1 76S proof silver clad and 1 76S proof 90% silver. I didn't have either 76S so that was awesome. I just picked up $1000 in halves I ordered three weeks ago and will search these tonight.

Recent Totals:

$933.50 searched

63 40% silver
2 90% silver
0 Not intended for circulation
1 Silver clad proof (76S)
1 Silver proof (76S)
0 Walker
0 Franklin
0 Commemoratives
Valued Member
United States
259 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2008  6:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jdgarst0720 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I regularly go by banks, here in Arkansas, but rarely get that many halves. I love to look thru rolls and if I could get my hands on some to look thru, I would love it.

Getting such a bank box to look thur sounds like great fun!

John
Pillar of the Community
United States
2548 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2008  11:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mycrob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I only got to part of my $1000 bank-rolled halves last night, but it looks like this is going to be a skunker. No silver yet after $210, but the biggest surprise to me is only ONE 71D. Usually, that over produced coin is in every single roll. There were actually low numbers for 71, 72, and 73. I don't know if I will have time to tally every single coin on this batch.

Wish me luck this weekend, as I still have 790 to go.
Pillar of the Community
United States
559 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2008  12:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add patrick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just finished my second box of $500. After my great luck on the first one, I was disappointed to find only one silver half (1969). And it was in the second to last roll! I did get two NIFCs, a 2004 and a 2007.

Good luck mycrob!

I'll post the dates and numbers a little later today if I get the chance.
Pillar of the Community
United States
549 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2008  4:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mahgobbi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AMAZING! I've been reading these half-dollar searching threads for weeks and I really had no interest in it, because it didn't seem worth the time, effort, gas, etc. to me for an average of 4-6 silver coins per $500 searched.

Today I was passing a few banks and decided to try to get some half dollars, because the kids and I got a new album to fill. I figured the hunt for silver would be fun, but the real purpose was to fill the books, so I wouldn't be disappointed if I found nothing.

Bank #1 had 12 rolls. The next two banks came up dry.

I FOUND 19 40% SILVERS IN MY 240 COINS, PLUS ONE 1978-P!

Okay, so maybe now I'm hooked? LOL

Here are my stats for your records:

66 - 2
67 - 6
68D - 8
69D - 3
71 - 14
71D - 34
72 - 12
72D - 19
73 - 10
73D - 12
74 - 15
74D - 6
76 - 18
76D - 8
77 - 3
77D - 1
78 - 1
79 - 4
80D - 1
81 - 4
82 - 1
83 - 2
83D - 1
84 - 1
85 - 1
88 - 3
88D - 2
89 - 3
89D- 2
90 - 2
91 - 1
92 - 3
94 - 3
94D - 1
95 - 5
96D - 4
97 - 3
97D - 13
98 - 1
99D - 1
00 - 3
00D - 1
01D - 1
03 - 1

Now for a few questions that I KNOW I've seen answered here before, but I just searched for 10 minutes and couldn't find the answers...

(1) Are there any dates other than 1978P/D, 1986P, or 1993P that I should be looking for?

(2) Are there any major die varieties (other than 1974-D DDO) or errors I should check before turning these things back in?
Edited by mahgobbi
02/01/2008 4:43 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2548 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2008  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mycrob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The toughest coins to find, based on the compiled analysis of the coin by coin details given by many CCF members and combined by me:

78D
79D
81D
82P
82D
85P
86P
88P
89P
90D
91D
93P
99P
99D
00P
01D

Of these the toughest are:
78D
79D
81D
82P
82D
85P
93P
00P

This mostly correlates with mintage figures, except maybe 00P.
If you get any 64, look for double die lettering on the reverse. Also there is a no F 82 (P I think) on the reverse where the FG initials are found. This is relatively uncommon.
United States
37 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2008  5:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just got done looking at my first 500 bucks box of halves. I found two 40% halves and thats it. I do not really look for anything besides stuff older than 1970. I looked in the book and 1970-on are not worth much in circulated condition. Is there something I am missing on this why some people collect newer years?
Page: of 1725 Previous TopicReplies: 25,873 / Views: 1,828,397Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05