Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I'm Stunned & Overwhelmed...

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14
Pillar of the Community
United States
7387 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2015  8:39 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Cascade to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Ok so I just got a shock today and the adrenaline has yet to wane... Apparently my stepdads dad was a coin collector and out of the blue my mom calls and says there is a 10 x 10 storage unit filled with boxes of Coins and since hes gone and I'm the only coin guy in the family it has become my duty to go through it and do a rough cataloging and valuation.. This will be fun but very overwhelming for me. I don't know if I can do it?... Apparently he collected everything from classic to modern, choice to crap. Here is a sample of 1 random box. THE Lincoln DANSCO IS COMPLETE with a beauty of an f15ish vdb with a woody look I think. The morgan books have about 20 commons with a 1900-o that is really o/cc and a gorgeous 21p. I'll post those in a sepetate thread later... I'm scared and exited all at once right now in a big way!

Edited by Cascade
04/19/2015 9:11 pm
Valued Member
United States
449 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2015  8:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add eagle_eye_18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Holy cow! That is so awesome :-) Have fun!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3435 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2015  8:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add acloco to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WOW!

Microsoft Excel will be your new best friend.

Start with cataloging everything. You might even develop a numbering system with small stickers.

Set up the system like an auction house. Box 1 contains lots 1 through 100 (or whatever fits). Makes it easier to inventory, catalog, and, and, and!

Pillar of the Community
United States
1415 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2015  9:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ploopy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What a surprise!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1192 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2015  9:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bertensgrad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hoped he didn't get ripped off with all the littleton and mail stuff not that it happens anymore. I hope you get a piece of the pie haha. That would be a dream of mine but I doubt I will inherit coins ever in my life haha.
Edited by Bertensgrad
04/19/2015 9:21 pm
Learn More...
United States
23520 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2015  9:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Am I wrong for not really caring what you think, just post the dang coins!

It doesn't matter if you can do it, because we can do it together. You're not alone on this.

Now, do the 1921 first.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7387 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2015  10:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cascade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Edited by Cascade
04/19/2015 10:15 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
7387 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2015  10:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cascade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And the O/CC. I have her at vf30ish

Pillar of the Community
United States
4871 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2015  10:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHuntingDrew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not even kidding; I've had dreams like this to have happen to me...

I'll fly out to your location to help you with this...this summer... haha
Learn More...
United States
23520 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2015  10:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1921's nondescript and cleaned - that's what's left of the toning that was removed, probably via dipping within an inch of its' life. Remember the look of the abrupt ending to some of that toning. Dip does that. The lighter toning has taken up since, where the old stuff left off. The O/CC is 10A, I think.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1704 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2015  10:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gyrene7483 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A surprise like this can be overwhelming if you look at all there is as a whole. To prevent that take it one box at a time and it will go much easier. Take your time and keep focused on the box you are working on. Number the boxes as you go and make a detailed list of what is in each box. Make two copies of the list and put one the box and keep a copy for yourself and your family. However you make the list is up to you but, do it in a way that you are comfortable with.

Anything you are not sure of there are plenty of members here who will eagerly help you so, do not be shy ask away.

For security move the collection out of the storage unit if you can to a safer place. Contents of a locker like this will get around and most storage facilities can see who is breaking into a locker but do not have adequate measures to prevent such break ins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7387 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2015  11:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cascade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the tips guys. I'm gonna need em for sure. If I post other coins elsewhere I'll tag it with this thread... SD, how did I miss that. Now when I look at it thinking that it makes sense. Sorry to get your hopes up:(
Pillar of the Community
United States
2797 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2015  11:22 pm  Show Profile   Check Darth Morgan's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Darth Morgan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ahhhh. This brings back memories for me. Looking forward to more pics.
My Eisenhower dollar Complete Variety Set, Circulation Strikes and Proof ( PCGS Registry) - https://www.PCGS.com/SetRegistry/do...edset/119137
Darth Morgan - "The Other Ike dollars" Showcase: https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/showcase/3354
Learn More...
United States
23520 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2015  11:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Now when I look at it thinking that it makes sense. Sorry to get your hopes up:(

I look at hundreds of 1921's every week. There is no such thing as hope any more.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12921 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2015  07:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Just have fun going through all those coins. isn't that what coin collecting is all about ?
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
7387 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2015  09:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cascade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fun is the name of the game. Work is the word of the year! Lol

Here's the Lincoln Dansco set I put in moderns... more to come later, I'm going to go dig in today like Scrooge McDuck swimming in his tower of coins!

http://goccf.com/t/227412
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.97 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05