Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Camera ?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 2,433Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5338 Posts
 Posted 04/28/2015  9:16 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Will a Canon Power Shot A80 with 4.0 megapixels work for coins?
Learn More...
United States
23521 Posts
 Posted 04/28/2015  10:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes. This is a camera you already have, I guess? It'll work, but it will have fairly low limits although for what it is it's one of the better ones.

You will be somewhat limited in things like how far you can get from the coin. You're going to be close enough (4" max, maybe?) for lighting to be difficult.

So you'll have to do some experimenting. First, to find out just how close you can get to the coin while still getting a picture big enough to post. Second, to see whether the camera's zoom will make this better or worse for you. As you zoom in, the minimum distance at which it will still focus will get greater. It might end up being a wash.

Start with it zoomed all the way out to learn some stuff about lighting and how the camera behaves. I guess you know about getting a nice stable mount for it, making the lens and coin parallel, and delaying the shutter a couple secs so you can get your finger off the button.

Use Av Mode, meaning you set the aperture and the camera does the rest, for start. Canon quotes "f/2.8-f.4.9" for the camera, but that 4.9 I don't recognize as a known aperture setting. Whatever the next-largest number you can set is, use that one to start.

Play with this, shoot a couple images and post them here. We'll work on everything else - this is a surprisingly capable little camera with lots of Manual settings - in good time.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5338 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2015  08:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No I don't have it, a friend has it for sale. Now you have me thinking not the answer I was expecting.
So with this one I would need a stand and lights, any thing else?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3421 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2015  10:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are some downsides to that $30 camera.

1. It uses Compact Flash - if it doesn't come with a memory card, you will need to buy a card (12-15$) plus a $5 adapter to plug into your computer.
2. It's a 12 year old model, I think it's limited to 2GB memory cards - but at 4MP images, that's still a lot of pictures

As with most Point&Shoot, it doesn't have a great macro mode - it's macro distance is 5cm or 2" - that's not a lot of room to get some lighting in there.
-----Burton
46 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC
Owned by four cats and a wife of 35 years (joined 1983)
Learn More...
United States
23521 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2015  10:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nothing false about what you're saying BStrauss3, but if it's what Mike has on-hand, I like teaching him the basics with the camera he knows than spending his money on new stuff and having to learn everything at once. I have personal experience with that series and I like them as well as anything the same shape for shooting coins. There is a decided and measurable advantage of smaller megapixel counts on a given sensor size, and lesser zoom on the lens. A current 14MP, 12x zoom P&S is unlikely to be capable of results as good, and has the same distance limitations.

We'll get him doing the best he can with what he's got, and he can make an informed decision whether more money is appropriate in his case.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5338 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2015  11:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dave I don't have that camera yet, I still have to find out how many $$ he wants for it.
Been looking on ebay and for $150 give or take a bit I can get a Canon Rebel XS
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5338 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2015  12:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These will probable work but what is better, remember I have to add 30% exchange, unless someone can find a Canadian site.
https://www.keh.com/search/list?n=129&mfg[]=Canon&sort_by=priceMax-asc
Learn More...
United States
23521 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2015  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
$150 is appropriate for a decent XS, but it locks you into a road that'll need a couple hundred more to flesh out the system. You're a guy who places his feet carefully, so I'm comfortable with the idea of you dropping less ($50 is too much, more like half that for a good one) to see how you like the process. It's the only money you'll ever actually have to spend purely on learning, and it's a nice little camera to carry around with you, to boot. It'll serve you even if you upgrade for coins.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5338 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2015  4:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I take it that you are referring to the Power Shot camera, if so I still have to se what he wants for it.
Learn More...
United States
23521 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2015  7:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, I was referring to that, if it's the direction you choose to go.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5338 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2015  2:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK so I just got the Power Shot from my friend FREE :) now to play with it a bit.
Learn More...
United States
23521 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2015  6:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a bad price.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5338 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2015  7:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would these help for doing coins? They are meant for this camera.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/11165612628...RK:MEBIDX:IT
Learn More...
United States
23521 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2015  8:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 250D is actually a pretty decent add-on lens, and yes it would probably help. That said, you only need that one plus the Conversion Lens Adapter in the auction to make it work. The other stuff is extraneous to your needs. It will have an effect on your working distance - you'll need to be farther from the subject - and will probably work better at your camera's longer focal lengths (zoomed in).

Don't expect it to stay cheap. A 250D is $70+ brand new, and there are two of them in this lot. Almost assuredly money not worth spending, but if yo're a seller and can get the lot for $50, you've got a lot of components to flip for profit.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3421 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2015  11:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dave: I knew he didn't have it yet, my posting of the price from used for sale @ Amazon was to set a reasonable expectation of the price point. Free is good, he can learn a lot and then make an informed decision. But if the friend wanted 150, I wanted to be able to point out there would have been better choices at that level.

I use a Nikon S9100 (available used for under 100$) for my run-of-the mill shots. For a P&S, it has an awesome macro mode. Does it do what I can do with a Canon T3i, 100mm macro lens, StackShot and Helion? No. But courtesy of a 50$ photobooth I built from Ikea parts and Sugru, it takes perfectly acceptable documentation and insurance and eBay type photos. With a much more straight forward workflow.

The other point is that a 5 year old 12MP camera has a lot more working room (pixels) than a 12 year old 4MP CAM. But are MP the be-all and end-all? Heck no. You can take great photos at 4MP and lousy ones at 12MP
-----Burton
46 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC
Owned by four cats and a wife of 35 years (joined 1983)
Learn More...
United States
23521 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2015  11:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No problem at all with any of the points you made, BStrauss, this post or the last one. My specific recommendation in this case is because I've sat and drank beers with Mike and eaten his (excellent) grilling, and taken his measure as a person. I felt in his case, he'd probably like the idea of starting with the smaller camera and offered a recommendation tailored to the actual person as well as my own hands-on experience with the specific model he was getting.

Then I was going to talk him into the bigger camera.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 2,433Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05