Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Newbie Coin Collector

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
16 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2007  01:11 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add maltuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

I'm new to coin collecting (started in September of this year, formally).

I have two silver dimes and one silver quarter that I saved from childhood, and a horror story about ruining my mom's silver half-dollar collection by rolling them on the ground when I found them and took them to school to play with friends at the age of 6 or so. But that's it for my early encountes with coins besides spending them on candy the the corner drug store as a kid.

Now I'm trying to learn how to know what I'm buying. Reading books, reading online stuff, but little helps without seeing real coins. I try to see them as much as I can. Or maybe I'm going about it in the wrong way. Or, of course I am.

I started with a shiny, beautiful mint state FH standing liberty 1917 type 1 quarter because (I hate to admit it) I just thought the woman was very beautiful, and I loved the stone behind her. And the eagle was just great. Flying in a very valiant way, or so it seemed to me.

When I got the coin home, I noticed some things that seem like very serious flaws. But I'm not one to blame others for my mistakes, so I decided to start a little more economically, where I can buy coins at a lower cost, and start with being able to judge those properly. But maybe that's a silly illusion, to think that I can learn to judge older coins by judging newer ones.

Ahh well. I expect to learn that everything I think I know is silly. But I'm going to try anyways.

I hope everyone will help me, but I know that ultimately, I have to help myself.

Thanks in advance.

marcos
Learn More...
United States
6561 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2007  01:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GO to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the Forum!

The greatest way to help yourself is to ask for help. Everyone is here to teach and be taught. All of your questions whether it be an amateur one of not, are welcome
Valued Member
United States
253 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2007  03:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coggie59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome Maltuna, what you will find on this forum is that there are no silly questions, and that there are so many knowledgeable people here that are more than willing to freely share their knowledge. so look around and ask the questions. happy collecting
Jeff
United States
3242 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2007  08:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add amac44 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
welcome!
Pillar of the Community
United States
5318 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2007  1:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KurtS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome here!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05