Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Clad Coins Turn 50 Article

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 2,503Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11933 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2015  12:48 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add GR58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just opened the newest Coin World.

The cover has "Clad coins turn 50"

Got me thinking how my views have changed over the years.

Coming out of era of silver coins and wheat cents, when younger,
I was not a big fan of clad coins and Memorial cents.

Somehow in the past 20 years my views have changed. I don't even
know when or why it changed.

I look at my collection now and see many clad coins and Memorial cents
that I have paid $10 to $200 for ....and not even thinking that they ...
Are not silver coins.

Sort of looking forward to getting home this afternoon and reading
Coin Worlds spin on clad coins.

What are your thoughts on clad coins?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1192 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2015  1:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bertensgrad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think they serve their intended purpose really well and last a long time etc. I like them ten times better then the alternative such as plated steel etc. I like silver more but they just couldn't keep producing them and I guess I'm at peace with it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
593 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2015  2:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add garys64wildcat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Clad holds up better than Steel or copper plated zinc cents. Not that I care for either.

I have some BU Gem Canadian chrome plated steel nickles and that sat in the albums for many years. I wanted to look at them and the steel had started to rust. S
Pillar of the Community
United States
593 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2015  3:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add garys64wildcat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
RE: last post it loaded and I wasn't done.

The albums are stored in dry conditions in an older Dansco with push in coin holes. old album 1959 era. The nickel coins are good but any steel. V`s, 51,52,53 etc have rust. Use stainless or dump cents.

I have seen more zincolns that are almost gone and will never be around to wear down to good or vg, just disintegrate to nothing like boat zinc for salt water use
Learn More...
United States
87600 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2015  3:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am surprised the Mint has not created some sort of special set for the event.

Not like we do not have enough sets this year.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2760 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2015  3:47 pm  Show Profile   Check SA4H's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SA4H to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
jbuck, you just gave them ideas. They still have 6 months to go.....

Here are some of their options:
1) Set of all coins as designed in 1965 with 2015 date (or dual date)
2) Set of all coins as designed in 1965 with dual date, IN SILVER

You never know..... what they will come up to generate more sales.
'Pytellc': I am still waiting for my $50 world coins from you, Mr. Carson Pytell!

*+*Bruce*+*
My coins available for trade. - My coins for sale - Coins I want/need.
"Living to Learn, Not Learning to Live!"
Yet, I'm learning to live more than living to learn!
Learn More...
United States
87600 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10496 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2015  5:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh dear heavens... my wallet can't take any more special sets this year!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2760 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2015  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Check SA4H's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SA4H to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I forgot RP and mint at various mint's facilities (W, S, D, P).
And YES, UHR.

'Pytellc': I am still waiting for my $50 world coins from you, Mr. Carson Pytell!

*+*Bruce*+*
My coins available for trade. - My coins for sale - Coins I want/need.
"Living to Learn, Not Learning to Live!"
Yet, I'm learning to live more than living to learn!
Valued Member
United States
405 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2015  5:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cjspearsdog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am surprised the Mint has not created some sort of special set for the event.

How about some "clad" classics like a Merc, morgan or walking liberty.

that would be a way to celebrate clad coins!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19337 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2015  5:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Clad coins? Never knew there were any. And here I thought all those new coins were solid Silver.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13604 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2015  6:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
How about some "clad" classics like a Merc, morgan or walking liberty

Don't Even Think About It !!
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
904 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2015  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add n9jig to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I used to hate clad coins but eventually realized that for circulating coinage it serves very well. They wear much better than other types, especially silver. Take a look at a well worn mid 60's quarter and compare that to any silver quarter in real circulation for 40 or 50 years, the silver coin would be almost unrecognizable while the clad quarter would still be all there.

The biggest appearance issue with current circulating coins is the low relief necessitated by the massive amounts of coins that are produced and the lack of value-to-size parameters due to legacy sizes. You have a 50 year old coin that will purchase a tenth the product when it was minted. 2 coins, the cent and nickel, while not clads, are all but worthless except in too-large-to-efficiently-handle quantities.

Mintage costs for clads have remained relatively low so there is no real push to change them but coins themselves are becoming more irrelevant every day. They are basically a way to make change for cash sales using paper currency. Unless the dollar is revalued (by a factor of 10 or 100) coins will be gone sooner rather than later.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6268 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2015  10:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As for clad coins they are good for spending. With the exception of the quarter set I aquired from you and a few clad commemorative halved my sets are only silver. Too old to change now.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1308 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2015  10:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinsearcher83 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I honestly wish they wore a little more quickly to make change more interesting.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11933 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2015  11:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GR58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting responses.

It does sound like clad still have a ways to go, before
they are more widely collected.

I would like to say, I do break open a lot SMS, mint and
proof sets .. when I do notice some nice examples I put
them away, and not dump them back into circulation,
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 2,503Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05