Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Tortoise

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
3626 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2015  10:29 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add pishpash to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is a 10th wedding anniversary present from hubby. It will take me a while to get decent pics but in the meanwhile:
Silver Stater
Aigina, Aegina
445-431 BC
18-22mm 7mm thick. 11.90g
Land tortoise viewed from above
Geometric incuse skew pattern with 5 segments

There is iridescence forming which is difficult to capture, at first I thought I could see bronze (horror) but it isn't (phew) and there are traces of blue.

Big crack, am I bothered? Not at all. I love this little guy, he has seen some life.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1251 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2015  11:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add orfew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting coin.
"Cave ab homine unius libri"
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
3626 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2015  11:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pishpash to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you orfew, I have been after one of these for the longest time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4803 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2015  11:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice high relief on the obverse, and a deep, crisp incuse punch on the reverse. Congrats, Pish. Nice acquisition.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
3626 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2015  11:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pishpash to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Bob
Pillar of the Community
Netherlands
1204 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2015  11:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dutchgulden to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice coin, now you got the owl AND the turtle! When is the crab coming? :)
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
3626 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2015  11:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pishpash to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
513 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2015  1:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chuy1530 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I picked up my Athenian owl and Boeotian shield last year; this is the only one of my 'top three' that I haven't picked up yet. Very nice!
Learn More...
United States
22890 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2015  1:38 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice chunky coin. Great present. Happy Anniversary.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
3626 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2015  1:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pishpash to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Ski, anniversary is not until July but just as well I got it when I did. Edgar Owen told me that a Californian dealer tried to buy it just after I got it :)
Pillar of the Community
Spain
629 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2015  1:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Athalbert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A very interesting coin...
with a great history behind!
Aegina was a great rival of Athena, and when athenian soldiers captured Aegina they instaured a new puppet gobernment to rule Aegina.
The "tortoises" represented on Aegina´s coinage were "Testudo Testudo", a kind of sea tortoise of the Mediterranean sea to signify that they were "masters of the waves"...
Athenians very quickly changed the design to this depicting a "Testudo Graeca" to signify that the days of glory for Aegina at the sea had passed away...
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
3626 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2015  1:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pishpash to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is interesting Athalbert, I thought it was the other way around. I thought that the tortoise was earlier than the turtle.
Pillar of the Community
Spain
629 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2015  1:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Athalbert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In spanish we have only one word to design a sea turtle or a land turtle, they all are "Tortugas" for us...
what is the land turtle; ¿"turtle" or "tortoise"?
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
3626 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2015  2:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pishpash to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, presumably if you put a land tortoise into the sea, it would drown?

I found this article on Greek Turtles on forumancientcoins.

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/Ar...nt_coins.htm
Pillar of the Community
Spain
629 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2015  2:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Athalbert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

The earliest coins of the Greek homeland were struck at relatively few mints. Though it is impossible to know which Greek city-state was the first to strike, the honour probably belongs to Aegina, an island off the coast of Attica whose people excelled as sailors and merchants. The first Aeginetan staters, bearing a sea-turtle with spider-like flippers and a narrow, shield-shaped carapace with a row of pellets, are now thought to have been struck c.555-550 B.C. The reverse of these rare pieces has a small, deep incuse square with thin, raised, criss-crossing ridges. Though the fine details of this coinage changed with each subsequent issue, the basic design remained consistent for centuries. The next issue, produced c.550-530 B.C., shows a sea-turtle with a heavy collar; on its reverse the raised dividers of the incuse assumed the familiar 'Union Jack' pattern. This type went through at least five developments from c.530 to c.450 B.C. The shell on some is decorated with a wavy 'trefoil' collar (rather than a straight one), and the final issue of this grouping often is described as "T-back" because the central rib of pellets and the two pellets at the trefoil collar resemble the letter "T". Mixed within the early turtles of c.550-530 and c.500-490/80 B.C., are 'proto tortoise' coins, which depict a tortoise with a shell that is segmented and shaped like a shield. Sometime in the mid-5th Century the staters of Aegina assumed a distinctly different look, as the turtle was permanently replaced by a land-tortoise with a segmented shell. The 'Union Jack' incuse punch remained a fixture, though the incuse areas were now comparatively shallow and the raised bars were especially thick. The bars eventually became thinner, and various symbols and letters were placed within the sunken areas. On some of the late staters, generally dated from c.350 into the 320s, the island's ethnic, AI, appears in the obverse field flanking the tortoise, or within the incuse portions of the reverse, abbreviated as AI, AIGamma; or AIGamma;I Though minting of the tortoises seems to have ended by the late 4th Century B.C., they continued to circulate widely, with some of the last issues being buried at least as late as the mid-2nd Century.

(this text has been taken from an auction of ars classica (74))
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
3626 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2015  2:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pishpash to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent write up Athalbert, thank you. I shall keep the text with the coin information.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.86 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05