Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1884-CC, GSA Holder, MS68

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
4129 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2015  11:47 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Great coin, none graded finer, and I get it that it's in the GSA holder (note that the holder is actually not an "Uncirculated" marked one, undoubtedly due to the toning, which was regarded as impairment then, rather than an enhancement as it is nowadays).

Still...isn't the asking price maybe as much as 4X what it ought to be? Of course, at the high end of the market, anything goes and nothing should surprise, I suppose.

See: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1884-CC-Mor..._2206wt_1105
Colligo ergo sum
Pillar of the Community
United States
7387 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2015  11:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cascade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Registry sets?... Trying to get one of the big boys to bite?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4996 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2015  12:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The marks on the back of the coin (near the "O" in "Dollar" and below the letters "TA" in "States"), along with the marks on the Eagle's right wing, are enough to keep it out of the 68 category in my opinion. I think NGC gave two extra points....one for attractive color and one that it was still in the GSA holder.

If submitted "raw" the coin is a guaranteed 66 with a shot at 67 (on a good day).

It is a very pretty coin....but nowhere near 175K$ pretty!

Pillar of the Community
United States
4129 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2015  12:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think NGC gave two extra points....one for attractive color and one that it was still in the GSA holder.

A classic case of "market" as opposed to "technical" grading?

Two extra points in this case is huge. This issue at MS66 in a GSA holder is, like, a $1,200 coin, maybe as a practical matter even less than that since there'll be competing specimens in the marketplace.
Colligo ergo sum
Edited by Lucky Cuss
06/10/2015 2:32 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
9192 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2015  1:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm pretty sure it would not come back a 68 if I submitted it.
1883-O Nut
Pillar of the Community
United States
4129 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2015  2:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it would not come back a 68 if I submitted it.

I've heard before insinuations that there's preferential grading based on who's submitting. I frankly don't know what the protocols at NGC, PCGS, or ANACS might be in this regard. I'd like to think that the actual grader works "in the blind" and doesn't know who the coin belongs to when rendering a verdict on it.
Colligo ergo sum
Pillar of the Community
United States
1704 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2015  3:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gyrene7483 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'd like to think that the actual grader works "in the blind" and doesn't know who the coin belongs to when rendering a verdict on it.
That's what they were saying when the grading services were first started in the 1980's but that has never been true. The graders know who sent the coins in, especially if it is a major dealer or a friend. Do you think that the PCGS graders do not know when David Hall or any of his buddies submits coins to his grading service that he or them won't get preferential grading?
Pillar of the Community
United States
7387 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2015  3:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cascade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CAC anyone?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4996 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2015  4:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Anybody that believes that the graders don't know whose coins they are grading also still believes in the tooth fairy, the Easter bunny and Santa Claus.

Pillar of the Community
United States
6427 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2015  5:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverStackerKid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I with 67.
Learn More...
United States
16356 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2015  5:32 pm  Show Profile   Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NGC screw up. That coin is 66 at best.
This guy will laugh all the way to the bank if it sells for that...which it won't.
ANA LM1214396
U.S. Colonial and Large Cent fanatic.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4129 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2015  5:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
NGC screw up.

Perhaps. I hope that's the case. I'm much more concerned about the opinions that there's corruption inherent the grading process, that there's a scheme whereby better than deserved grades are provided for "preferred" customers.
Colligo ergo sum
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2015  6:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I hope that's the case. I'm much more concerned about the opinions that there's corruption inherent the grading process

There's not, not at the top ones anyone. Lesser known second/third tier companies have been nailed for that before and needless to say they lost/will lose far more than they had gained.

A lot of people like to just spout that type of nonsense (which is exactly what it is and does hurt the hobby spreading RUMORS like that with no proof) for whatever reason often times because they're against grading companies and a few other reasons I won't mention to be polite. Maybe they have some other motivation I don't really know but there's always conspiracy theorists out there and collecting has them as well. If it were actually true it would have been proven by now and there would have been lawsuits with the amount of money that would be made from it.

It's true there are some collections where its impossible not to know who submitted it because the coins are that good (Pogue ect) but other than that graders just sit in a room pounding out box after box of coins. They don't stop and check to see who submitted it nor do they care.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3210 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2015  7:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Imthealphaomega to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No way in hello that's worth 175K....I agree I'd grade it a 66 maybe 67 not a 68
Valued Member
United States
286 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2015  9:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LogPotato to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's another thread on the coin.

http://boards.collectors-society.co...8321&fpart=1
Pillar of the Community
United States
1507 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2015  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DoubleEagle20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Half of the price of a 1870-CC $20 gold? LOL.
Edited by DoubleEagle20
06/10/2015 9:41 pm
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.91 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05