Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Anyone Wood Grain Toning Collectors? - Post Yours!

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 375 / Views: 40,527Next Topic
Page: of 25
Learn More...
United States
90863 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2015  10:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I started with a coin that had minor lamination issues, chemically toned it quite by accident, photographed it in strong light and then enhanced the colors in post processing.
Nicely done.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6428 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2015  5:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverStackerKid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19653 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2015  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I find this sort of new hobby interesting. I remember some time back when I first heard of error collectors. Now there are Wood grain collectors, toned coin collectors, Proof collectors and a whole bunch more varieties of coin collectors. Sort of makes this hobby getting larger and larger.
just carl
Valued Member
Canada
174 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2015  12:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add xd99xd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I usually keep the ones I find, I only have a couple of newer ones from the 1980s.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1109 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2015  12:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add skyshark124 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a 1914 uncirculated Wheat cent I bought from the LCS not too long ago. I wanted to upgrade my set to BU so I was looking for nice blazing red examples to buy. There was one that was much more red in color, but I was completely drawn to the reverse on this one and decided to buy it over the red one. To this day I have no regrets with that decision.

Valued Member
United States
118 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2015  07:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Connicoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just found a 1969-S Woodgrain just yesterday! I have several of them and thinking of starting a book with just them only...challenge! For some reason I have several from 1982? Any reason, beside they have the highest mint count? And good morning!
Valued Member
United States
336 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2015  7:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EconBrony to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice 1914 Wheat cent skyshark124! The toning on the reverse is beautiful :)
Valued Member
United States
336 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2015  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EconBrony to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ Connincoins

The mint did change metal blends in 1982. Not sure if thats what caused what your observing though. Maybe its just coincidence the most you've seen are from 1982.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7387 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2015  2:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cascade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's what I have wood-wise in my complete dansco with proof only issue... Pics could be better but I didn't wanna take them out of the album... The 09s vdb is my favorite of coarse but boy that large grain on the 17-d is striking

Bedrock of the Community
United States
19653 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2015  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Treads like this one could start a run on those type of coins at shows and coin stores.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
336 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2015  02:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EconBrony to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ Cascade

You are not kidding! The tone in the 1917 D is wonderful! Very nice coin!
Edited by EconBrony
06/22/2015 9:39 pm
Learn More...
United States
90863 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
7387 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2015  9:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cascade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys
Pillar of the Community
United States
6428 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2015  9:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverStackerKid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WOW that 17 is amazing.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1800 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2015  08:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dbrablec to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i enjoy the "woodies" - too...

my - modest contribution...

Page: of 25 Previous TopicReplies: 375 / Views: 40,527Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.07 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05