Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Image Processing Question - Image To Image Transformations

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 1,134Next Topic  
Valued Member

Australia
279 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2015  11:17 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add echidna to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I want to do some simple image transformations using control points.
In other words match up coin images exactly.
What sort application would be suitable ?
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2856 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2015  06:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...match up coin images exactly.

Since I'm a bit unsure, please elaborate more in detail on exactly what desired end results you wish to accomplish here.
Valued Member
Australia
279 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2015  07:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add echidna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The goal is image to image rectification.
Similiar to photogrammetry.
Once rectified, images can be overlaid transparently or vectorized to demonstrate differences.

There are subtle design differences that I wish to examine and demonstrate.
Something like the Canada broad leaves 10 cent.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1822 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2015  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hello I have been waiting for someone to ask this question. I need help with one coin. photogrammetry do you understand this process at all. I don't but I have a coin that needs this done to it. I know what you are asking but don't know how to do this. I believe that ray or dave might. so I hope they can help you because that would myself as well. I have a coin if I can get this done on it will help to possibly prove that it maybe one of a kind.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3266 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2015  2:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The best apps for this are programs that already have to do it for their function to work. Most obvious would be Focus Stacking programs such as Zerene, Helicon, or CombineZP. I use Helicon, but have never tried alignment on its own. I SHOULD try it since I have been doing animations where alignment is important, but so far I've just aligned manually. But I believe Zerene (which I don't own a copy of) may have a separate alignment function you can access. CombineZP is script-based, and you may be able to write a script to output aligned images. For details on Zerene, and perhaps gather other ideas about how to do this, try writing a post to the Macro and Micro Technique and Technical Discussions forum of the Photomacrography.net. Rik Littlefield, who moderates that forum, is the author of Zerene software and can tell you what it is capable of for your application. If you want to go more script-based and open-sourced, post your question to the CombineZ Yahoo group at: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/combinez/info. Alan Hadley is the author and moderates the Group.
Contact me for photographic equipment or visit my home page at:
http://macrocoins.com
Valued Member
Australia
279 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2015  05:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add echidna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have done photogrammetry work in the past so I'm familiar with the process of image rectification.
I will get a GIS package and do it that way.
Bit of overkill but I'm familiar with all this stuff.

I thought there might be a simple solution - thats all.

Edited by echidna
06/22/2015 05:36 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
4735 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2015  07:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As an ex-DMA employee I'm somewhat familiar with what you want to do.
I've considered it myself.
After thinking about it for a while I see a major problem.
Control points, particularly on older coins that had their details put on by hand.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Valued Member
Australia
279 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2015  08:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add echidna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Where the dies (every letter and numeral) has been hand punched it will be difficult but not impossible.
Also the coins are in various grades - some poor and damaged.
The correct selection of control points is going to the be the big challenge.
They will need to be weighted according to confidence.
In my case the rim denticles are standard which is a start.
Start with a weak transformation and go from there...

Edited by echidna
06/22/2015 08:35 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1822 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2015  10:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
echidna did you try any of those sites I did but I even tried joining them that did not work either. they are very secure sites. there is not even a way to send a messages to them. the coin I have I have thought about going to the university. to see if some one there may be able to help me with this. if you do get set up please post a couple images. to show what the results look like thank you
Valued Member
Australia
279 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2015  05:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add echidna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Rocky
No I didnt try those sites.
Hopefully by this time next week I have a workflow and I will post here again.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1822 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2015  6:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hello echidna thank you. I have had this coin of mind checked with a micrometer against similar coins from that same time. there is a difference. I look forward to see how you do this as it may help me later to prove this coin and if not oh well it will be interesting to possibly see this process thank you have a great one
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 1,134Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05