Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

New Big Ae Republican

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
4732 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2015  10:36 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add chrsmat71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
recently picked up this nice as on ebay. I've been trying to get one of these for a year and it just hasn't paned out.

man, it's big and thick...feels great in hand. is in pretty good shape for the type as well.

Roman Republic, c. 169 - 158 BC, bronze as of A. CAE,

Obverse: Laureate bust of Janus.

Reverse: ROMA|I|A.CAE, prow r.

Reference: Crawford 174/1.

Ex. RBW, purchased from R. Schaefer 12/10/1993

my measurements: 33 mm, 31.8 g
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1251 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2015  10:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add orfew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice piece. Congrats.
"Cave ab homine unius libri"
Pillar of the Community
United States
6427 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2015  11:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverStackerKid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
great chunky coin! Really nice copper color too.
Learn More...
United States
22890 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2015  11:46 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin Chris. I don't have one of these yet. THis one has nice detail.
Pillar of the Community
United States
513 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2015  01:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chuy1530 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool, need to add one of these to my collection someday.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
3626 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2015  04:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pishpash to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow Chris, nice example, I don't have one either.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5155 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2015  11:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ancientnoob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Big yes, AE yes, New not in the slightest. Great pickup Chris! Still on my list, I was looking for just the right one, yours will do.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3117 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2015  1:45 pm  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A 'whopper' !
A veritable Chris Christie in bronze.

I have two of similar type. Neither of which anyway similar as far as good looks go.

It has great eye appeal
which is the most important quality an ancient coin can have.
Pillar of the Community
United States
513 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2015  7:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chuy1530 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks similar in size to a big Egyptian coin I have. Definitely satisfying to hold one of these. Doubt anybody had too many in their pocket walking around!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4803 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2015  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great score, Chris. Congrats.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4732 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2015  11:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chrsmat71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks everyone!
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
1177 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2015  11:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add antwerpen2306 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
very good quality for this coin , congrats.albert
Pillar of the Community
Netherlands
1204 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2015  8:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dutchgulden to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I got an republic as of Janus as well, this is a very nice one!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4732 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2015  9:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chrsmat71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
lets see it DG!
Pillar of the Community
Netherlands
1204 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2015  12:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dutchgulden to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will return to Holland tomorrow after 4 weeks of holiday in Canada,BC. Pictures will come within 1 day chris :-)
Edited by Dutchgulden
06/29/2015 12:11 am
Pillar of the Community
Netherlands
1204 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2015  12:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dutchgulden to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Finally, here it is:
The picture is quite bad

Gens: Anonymous
Coin: F Bronze As of Reduced Sextantal standard
I (mark of value) above - Laureate head of bearded Janus
I (mark of value) above, ROMA - Prow of galley right
Mint: Rome (After 211 BC)
Wt./Size/Axis: 30.00g / 34mm / 35
References:
Crawford 56/2
Sydenham 143
BMCRR Rome 217-28
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05