Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Unusual Chinese Currency?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 3,622Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
263 Posts
 Posted 08/30/2015  5:25 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Dcnw1983 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Not sure what this is but it was in the coin/token collection I inherited. It weighs about 6.6 ounces and is about 58 mm long. any ideas?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5894 Posts
 Posted 08/30/2015  9:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a Chinese sycee--a privately stamped silver ingot basically. The characters in the stamp would identify who assayed that particular sycee. If it is genuine (I will hold off on making that judgement call), these can be worth a fair sum of money to the right collector.

There are members on the board who can probably translate what is stamped into the bar--that might give an approximate indication as to age and potential value.
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Pillar of the Community
United States
6365 Posts
 Posted 08/30/2015  11:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TypeCoin971793 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice! A Chinese sycee! Looks good to me, but I know absolutely nothing about authenticating these. Based on the weight, I'd say it is probably a 6-tael ingot, with a tael being a Chinese equivalent to an ounce.

I have a friend who is looking for one of these. PM me when you get 50 posts.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3203 Posts
 Posted 08/30/2015  11:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gxseries to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If genuine, this is something that's worth several thousands of dollars. I suggest you do a through research and find the right expert rather have someone dismiss it as a counterfeit outright and attempt to lowball you and buy it as metal scrap value.
My partial coin collection http://www.omnicoin.com/collection/gxseries

My numismatics articles and collection: http://www.gxseries.com/numis/numis_index.htm Regularly updated at least once a month.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6365 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2015  07:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TypeCoin971793 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No, this one is too small to be worth several thousand dollars. That price is reserved for rare 10 tael ingots and any 20 tael+ ingots. Several hundred dollars is more likely. These consistently sell in the $200-600 range.

As for people to ask about authenticity, look for people who primarily collect and deal in Chinese coinage. Bob Ries, Scott Semans, and Frank Robinson come to mind, but there are several other out there.
Valued Member
United States
263 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2015  08:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dcnw1983 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you. That is all good news. I was just thinking it would be a good paperweight.
Valued Member
United States
263 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2015  7:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dcnw1983 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Finn235, when you say there may be members on the board that could offer a translation, what does that mean. Can I contact them to request a translation? What type of board? Thank you
Pillar of the Community
United States
6365 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2015  8:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TypeCoin971793 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
He means that there are some members on this forum who are fluent in Chinese. One of them is manymore. I'll send him a message and get his input.
Valued Member
United States
347 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2015  11:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add manymore to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is a Chinese "saddle" sycee.

Most sycee in this "saddle" shape came from Yunnan Province.

There are three sets of inscriptions but they are all the same.

The inscription is written in two vertical columns. The Chinese chararcters are read top to bottom.

The inscription in the right column reads tong chang gong ji which is the name of the company. This translates as "Tong Chang Gong Bank".

The inscription in the left column reads zu se yan ke which translates as "pure salt tax silver".

This sycee was meant to be used to pay the salt tax or salt duty.

I tried doing a quick search to see if I could find another specimen exactly the same as the OP's sycee.

I did find a sycee from the same "Tong Chang Gong Bank". If you look at this Chinese webpage, you will see that the right column inscription on the sycee is tong chang gong ji, the same as the right column inscription on the OP's sycee.

The inscription in the left column, however, is different. It reads hui hao wen yin which translates as "remittance bank fine silver".

I also found this sycee which has the same left column inscription ("pure salt tax silver") as the OP's specimen. However, this sycess is from a different company.

I have no experience and am unable to determine if the OP's specimen is authentic or not.

As we are all aware, there are many fake sycees and the good ones are also made of silver with the correct weight and purity.

(I hope the above explanation is clear even though I have not included the Chinese characters. This forum's software, unfortunately, does not display Chinese characters.)

Gary
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3203 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2015  12:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gxseries to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are some examples sold last year.

http://www.sixbid.com/browse.html?a...tegory=25628

Again worth more than a couple of hundred dollars if proven to be genuine.
My partial coin collection http://www.omnicoin.com/collection/gxseries

My numismatics articles and collection: http://www.gxseries.com/numis/numis_index.htm Regularly updated at least once a month.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6365 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2015  1:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TypeCoin971793 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you look, all the ones selling in the $3000 to $10000+ range are 50 tael ingots (HUGE, 60+ oz), just a little less than 10 times the size of this one.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6365 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2015  1:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TypeCoin971793 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Auction results from a different company: http://www.cghka.com/english/sogo.asp?KName=Sycee

I will change my range to $300-$1200 for this one if proven genuine. It appears your best choice for auction venue would be Stacks if you choose to sell it. Their prices realized are usually much higher than those of other companies for some reawon when is comes to Chinese coinage (sometimes 50-100% higher for rarer coins!).
Valued Member
United States
263 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2015  2:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dcnw1983 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank all of you for the helpful information.
Valued Member
United States
263 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2015  1:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dcnw1983 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I emailed a photo to Stephen at Sycee-on-line who emailed me back saying:

it's a genuine 5 tael Saddle sycee cast in Yunnan China during the latter of 19th century.

Inscriptions: Pure fineness, Salt Tax
Yuan Chang Li Firm (Silver Furnace)

Would this count as authentication, or would more be needed
Valued Member
United States
347 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2015  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add manymore to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Inscriptions: Pure fineness, Salt Tax
Yuan Chang Li Firm (Silver Furnace)

Stephen is definitely an expert in this field.

However, there is no inscription "Yuan Chang Li Firm" that I can see.

The Chinese inscription is definitely "Tong Chang Gong Ji".

You may want to check with him again.

Gary
Valued Member
United States
263 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2015  7:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dcnw1983 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks again. I sent him another email with the question and some additional photos.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 3,622Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05