Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2015 Coin & Chronicles Set - John F. Kennedy

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 729 / Views: 45,408Next Topic
Page: of 49
Valued Member
United States
156 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2015  6:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jay799 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Would have been a day one sellout at a 75k limit.

Yes. And the mintage of this set is only 50K.

So the demand for Kennedy is certainly there. Which is why I think that demand for Kennedy will be higher than Truman or Ike....even with the higher mintage.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10494 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2015  6:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Are the ones available in rolls from the mint high relief as well or are they the older flat relief?

Quote:
I believe they are the lower relief. Someone will have to confirm. In the past the mint set half dollars were minted slow with higher pressure, as all mint set coins are minted, while bags and rolls were minted as business strikes (even though the were NIFC).

Correct. High relief was only for the 4-coin and 2-coin sets, and the gold coin. From the U.S. Mint website page for the 2-coin set (K14):

Quote:
The designs on the coins replicate the portrait on the 1964 design:

Obverse: The design shows a portrait of John Fitzgerald Kennedy, the youngest-ever-elected president. U.S. Mint Sculptor-Engraver Gilroy Roberts based this profile on a portrait prepared for Kennedy's presidential medal. Roberts created his original 1964 design shortly after Kennedy's assassination.

Reverse: The design is based on the presidential seal and was done by U.S. Mint Sculptor-Engraver Frank Gasparro. It consists of a heraldic eagle with a shield on its breast, holding a symbolic olive branch and a bundle of 13 arrows. A ring of 50 stars surrounds the design, which gives this coin the distinction of having more stars than any other United States coin ever produced for circulation.

Note: All other U.S. Mint 2014 Kennedy half-dollars that are not included in the K13, K14 and K15 sets share the common reverse described above, while the obverse features a strong but simple portrait of President John Fitzgerald Kennedy and the inscriptions "LIBERTY" and "IN GOD WE TRUST".

The designs on the coins in this set feature the 1964 Kennedy half-dollar portrait design on the obverse (heads) and include the year "2014" to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the coin.

I know it's a moot point but I, too, would like to see other coins in the Kennedy C&Ch. Oh well.
Edited by CelticKnot
09/03/2015 6:39 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1228 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2015  9:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HOLLYWOOD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What happened to 200 sets for each president ? was there that many returns ?
2015 Harry Truman Coin & Chronicles Set 16,800

2015 Dwight D. Eisenhower Coin & Chronicles Set 16,821

http://news.coinupdate.com/u-s-mint...coins-debut/

JFK C&C Set

http://www.coinnews.net/2015/09/03/...-set-images/
Valued Member
United States
103 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2015  9:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Warcoinguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Truman was listed at 16,870 at one time and they keep lowering the number.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1510 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2015  9:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CelticKnot, my question regarding high relief and low relief is in regard to the 2015 Kennedy halves. I know the ones in the mint sets are high relief. I'm just wondering if the ones you can purchase in rolls are as well or are they the previous low relief type.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10494 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2015  12:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, Bret. I was in full-on research mode and missed the "2015" piece of your question.

I pulled out my 2015 rolls just now and compared them to my 2014 rolls, the two-coin 2014 set, a mint roll from 2004, and even the 2014 gold coin.

I found that the 2004s and the 2014s looked very similar in that they both have the "spaghetti" hair. The hair in the 2014s is very distinct with sharp details though, where the hair in the 2004s is not as sharply defined. Older die in the 2004s perhaps.

The 2014 2-coin, the 2014 gold, and the 2015 rolls all seem to exhibit the older, non-spaghetti hair style.

As far as relief goes, I honestly can not see any difference in any of them under 5x magnification. Perhaps I need to go to the garage and get my calipers or have my eyeballs calibrated, but if there's a difference, it's not much. Also, I didn't take any of the coins out of their respective holders to examine them on edge, so there may be some visible differences if one were to observe them in such a fashion.

So, two lengthy posts later and I'm still no help.... sorry. Maybe someone else can weigh in, though this probably belongs in another thread (or its own).

Pillar of the Community
United States
2073 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2015  02:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OldSkoolMadSkilz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Isn't the high relief what made the coins in the K14 set different? That makes me think that the roll coins are not high relief.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1228 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2015  08:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HOLLYWOOD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Return Policy If for any reason within 7 days of receiving your product you are dissatisfied with your purchase, you can return the entire product for refund. Shipping charges will not be refunded for all returns.

Quote:
Truman was listed at 16,870 at one time and they keep lowering the number

These could be the final numbers !

Truman 16,800

Eisenhower 16,821

Pillar of the Community
United States
1510 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2015  09:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Isn't the high relief what made the coins in the K14 set different? That makes me think that the roll coins are not high relief.

For 2014, that's true. However, I was asking about the 2015 coins. The halves in the mint set are high relief. So what about the halves that come from rolls?
Pillar of the Community
United States
562 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2015  09:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Atlas642 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, all 2015 Kennedy half dollars use the original 1964 high relief design. I believe this is what the Mint is going to use going forward. Source:

http://www.coinworld.com/news/2015-...sculpt.html#
Learn More...
United States
87472 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2015  10:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Yes. And the mintage of this set is only 50K.

So the demand for Kennedy is certainly there. Which is why I think that demand for Kennedy will be higher than Truman or Ike....even with the higher mintage.
Agreed.

Quote:
Yes, all 2015 Kennedy half dollars use the original 1964 high relief design. I believe this is what the Mint is going to use going forward. Source:
Thank you for the clarification.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4685 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2015  11:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheForce to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it's silly to have such a low mintage for something that will be so mega popular and in demand. All this is going to do is crash the Mints website and cause all sorts of issues and make a lot of angry customers who can't get a set because there isn't enough to go around for all who want a set.
Edited by TheForce
09/04/2015 11:07 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1510 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2015  11:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
TheForce, the mint based their initial maximum production figures of 17k for the Truman and Eisenhower based on the sales of previous sets. That would have been smart except for the fact that the dollars in the previous sets were the same as in the proof sets. It just goes to show how out of touch they are that they didn't realize that making a different coin would change demand. Based on other sets that have unique coins, I think 50k isn't too far off.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2073 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2015  1:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OldSkoolMadSkilz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

http://www.coinworld.com/news/2015-...sculpt.html#
So the two quarters in the K14 set are the same as in the mint sets and possibly the rolls? I thought they were supposed to be unique to that set?

Pillar of the Community
United States
1510 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2015  1:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OldSkoolMadSkilz, the K14 sets contain 2014 halves. His reply is in regard to 2015 halves.
Page: of 49 Previous TopicReplies: 729 / Views: 45,408Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.87 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05