Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2015 Coin & Chronicles Set - Lyndon B. Johnson

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 419 / Views: 27,203Next Topic
Page: of 28
Pillar of the Community
United States
539 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2015  12:11 pm  Show Profile   Check captainrich's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add captainrich to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The comment by TheForce got me thinking about another peculiarity of the Presidential Coin & Chronicles sets:

The silver medals in these sets are restrikes of the bronze medals of the U.S. Mint's long-standing Presidential Medal series.

In the bronze series, the U.S. Mint issued two Lyndon B. Johnson medals, representing both terms that he served (mint catalog numbers 136 & 137).

So why aren't collectors being treated with TWO silver medals in the upcoming Johnson Coin & Chronicles set?

The silver medal in the upcoming C&C set is a restrike of the bronze profile medal (#136), but it would've been great if both original medals were represented in the Johnson set.

Oh, well, the Johnson set is a done deal, but the U.S. Mint can always turn around next year and offer dual silver medals in the Nixon and Reagan C&C sets!
Pillar of the Community
United States
600 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2015  12:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bud250r to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I personally think the U.S.Mint is turning into a joke.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7387 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2015  12:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cascade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There will be no Nixon set
Pillar of the Community
United States
539 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2015  1:17 pm  Show Profile   Check captainrich's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add captainrich to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I guess that doesn't surprise me, Cascade; but if the guy is good enough to be included in the dollar coin series, then why not include him in the Coin & Chronicles series? I would've bought the Nixon set, specifically to have the "entire C&C series" (whatever that hypothetically turns out to be).

Nixon is going to be part of the dollar series, isn't he?

BTW, why isn't Reagan mentioned on this U.S. Mint webpage as a dollar release for 2016?

http://catalog.usmint.gov/coin-prog...ollar-coins/
(Note: click on the Read More link to see the 2016 release date info).
Edited by captainrich
10/02/2015 1:54 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10494 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2015  1:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder if the Nixon set would have come with a little airline-size bottle of scotch.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10494 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2015  1:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Nixon is going to be part of the dollar series, isn't he?

Yes indeed. At least, according to the port labels in my albums.

Also, here:
http://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs...ion=schedule

Quote:
BTW, why isn't Reagan mentioned on this U.S. Mint webpage as a dollar release for 2016?

captainrich, Reagan is listed in that link above as well.
Edited by CelticKnot
10/02/2015 1:54 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
539 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2015  1:56 pm  Show Profile   Check captainrich's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add captainrich to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Celtic, I guess different webpages yield different results.
Valued Member
United States
210 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2015  5:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Reno32 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Celtic on your link they missing a number in 2016,the #39 it might be a add in so we might have a surprise.
http://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs...ion=schedule
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10494 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2015  6:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
#39 would be Jimmy Carter. Since he is still alive, they would just skip him and there would be no #39. However, he's not in the best shape right now, unfortunately, so that could change before next year.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4409 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2015  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Carter could not appear on a dollar coin next year due to how the law is written.

Quote:
No coin issued under this subsection may bear the image of a living former or current President, or of any deceased former President during the 2-year period following the date of the death of that President
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10494 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2015  7:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I always forget the 2-year part of that. I always wonder if there's a way around that because albums have been manufactured with Carter and Bush Sr. (and beyond) ports.

I do like the "write-in" suggestion, Reno32. Hmmm.... Mickey Mouse, perhaps?
Valued Member
United States
156 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2015  12:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jay799 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is always a way around it.

A new law is passed in Congress which authorizes it.
Edited by jay799
10/03/2015 12:02 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2760 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2015  03:44 am  Show Profile   Check SA4H's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SA4H to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If Jeff Bush get elected and the Bush Sr. pass away OR if Republican win both chambers and Bush Sr. pass away, will the law be 'updated'? I am curious.
'Pytellc': I am still waiting for my $50 world coins from you, Mr. Carson Pytell!

*+*Bruce*+*
My coins available for trade. - My coins for sale - Coins I want/need.
"Living to Learn, Not Learning to Live!"
Yet, I'm learning to live more than living to learn!
Learn More...
United States
87472 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2015  3:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
How is the mint deciding which presidents get a coin & chronicles set? Maybe they should have started this from the beginning rather than towards the end of the series.
No sure, but I am glad they did not start from the beginning. There is no way I could afford every set then.

To be clear, there will not be a Nixon or Ford set. There will be a Reagan set.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2760 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2015  03:51 am  Show Profile   Check SA4H's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SA4H to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the Mint should keep its current plan of release.
'Pytellc': I am still waiting for my $50 world coins from you, Mr. Carson Pytell!

*+*Bruce*+*
My coins available for trade. - My coins for sale - Coins I want/need.
"Living to Learn, Not Learning to Live!"
Yet, I'm learning to live more than living to learn!
Page: of 28 Previous TopicReplies: 419 / Views: 27,203Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.94 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05