Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post A German State Coin!

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 45
Valued Member
73 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2015  12:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tom007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! Great coins/medals everyone!

Here's a recent purchase, currently en route.

1748 Stolberg 1/48 Thaler:

Edited by tom007
09/28/2015 12:43 am
Pillar of the Community
Germany
1478 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2015  05:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GERMANICVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a beautiful commemorative medal, paralyze, with very intricate detail.
The Stolberg coinage with the Hirsch Motif is also very appealing.

There is one coin which I have been chasing for along time, the so-called Kammerherrntaler, minted only in 1816 and 1817. The story goes the Prussian King rejected the coinage because it his title was shortened to read. Fr. Wilh. III K.V Preuss . He interpreted this as Friedrich Wilhelm, Kammerherr von Preussen, (i.e The Groom of the Prussian Bedchamber). He did not like that, and promptly had the coinage stopped.
The coins are scarce, specially the 1817. I was able to find a 1816 but in only AG condition.

Here is an 1816 dated Kammerherrntaler.

Valued Member
73 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2015  4:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tom007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1773 Nuremberg "City View" Kreuzer:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8267 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2015  6:59 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
GERMANICVS -- I only found a single nicer example that sold at auction recently for EUR 500 and that was in 2011. Apparently I'd have better luck finding pretty much any key date US coin before I ever found one of those. :)

While Googling your ultra-rare Thaler I found out that there is a Landgasthof 'König von Preußen' in the Klosterstr., Marxzell (Frauenalb), EUR 500 would rent me a room with an awesome and VERY scenic Northern Black Forest view for 4 or 5 nights. But I'd rather have the coin, at least for now, although the hotel does have its own brewery, and it IS October...

Also, what a nice Nürnberg Kreuzer, Tom. It looks to be in really good shape, well detailed and with luster.
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1005 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2015  10:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jgenn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1696 Thaler, Saxony - Albertine. Friedrich August I ruled Saxony - Albertine from 1691 to 1733. Friedrich August was also king of Poland and known there as Augustus II.

Pillar of the Community
Germany
1478 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2015  1:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GERMANICVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some really nice coins posted in this thread. And that Sachsen Thaler is really quite impressive.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1005 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2015  10:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jgenn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1595 Thaler, Saxony. Elector Christian II and his brothers Johann Georg (who would succeed his brother as Elector in 1611) and August. Minted in Dresden under mintmaster Hans Biener.

Edited by jgenn
10/08/2015 10:34 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
859 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2015  10:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keepcalmandcoinon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1826 German State
Saxe- Weimar- Eisenach
2 Pfennig

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1005 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2015  12:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jgenn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Correction and expansion on my earlier post of the 1696 Thaler. The ruler, Friedrich August I, was the Elector of Saxony. His line is of the Albertine branch of the House of Wettin. The following year he became the King of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. He lost control of Poland to his cousin, Charles XII of Sweden in 1706 but regained the title in 1709, albeit in a weakened position as a protectorate of the Russian Empire.

It's so easy to do research on the internet that there's really no excuse for not learning something about the history related to the coins in your collection.
Edited by jgenn
10/13/2015 1:16 pm
Pillar of the Community
Germany
1478 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2015  03:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GERMANICVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jerome Napoleon 5 Franken 1809.

Jerome Napoleon was Napoleon's brother. Napoleon had the habit of appointing members of his family to nice jobs in the european areas he had conquered. Accordingly, he set up his brother as king of Westphalia
which comprised the duchy of Braunschweig, Hessen and parts of Hannover. Coinage in his name was issued following the taler standard, but also the french standard nominated in Francs. Jeromes' reign lasted from 1807 to 1813 when Napoleons' army was defeated at Lepzig.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1304 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2015  09:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EFLargeCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin GERMANICVS. I really enjoy the historical aspect.

Here is an 1807 1/6 Thaler of Brunswick-Luneburg. As a tie in to GERMANICVS post above, this was the year that most of Bruneswick-Luneburg was merged into the Kingdom of Westphalia.

Edited by EFLargeCents
10/19/2015 09:20 am
Valued Member
United States
401 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2015  1:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add paddy murphy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1811 silver 6 pfennig from Mecklenburg-Schwerin. the obverse next to Nickel to show how tiny it is. smaller than us 3 cent silver I think...

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1733 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2015  08:01 am  Show Profile   Check jdmern's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jdmern to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful Jerome Napoleon Germanicus!

Here is one I just sent got back:

1715 Stolberg 2/3 Thaler

Pillar of the Community
Germany
1478 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2015  01:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GERMANICVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very pretty 2/3 Taler from Stolberg!
United States
47 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2015  10:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add torpedo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just got this one a couple of days ago. It is a 1911 A Prussia 3 Mark, NGC MS 63

This is a 1914 A 5 Mark NGC AU 55

Page: of 45 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 2 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05