Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

specimen coin mintage

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2183 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2015  12:21 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Paulsz to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just a question about specimen coin mintage. I have been looking at some reference books, and some say mintages of 1000 for older sets. Others have more or less number of sets made. Does this reflect the number of specimen coins that were made? Say I have an ICCS SP65 matte ten cent from 1937 (where the mintage was somewhere around 1000 if I recall correctly), does that mean there were only 1000 matte specimen 10 cents made? Or could there be more, and only 1000 complete sets were made to sell as sets in boxes/cases?

Thanks,

Paul
If you have any of the following Canadian coins for sale, message me:
1. 1937 Mirror or Matte specimen coins, in SP64 or higher for mirror, and SP66 and higher for matte.
2. 1908 or 1911 specimen coins, in any specimen grade.
Learn More...
Canada
7969 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2015  4:06 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1000 is the mintage for 1970 VIP specimen sets. For sets from 1953 to 1965, probably less than 250 sets, 1968 and 1969 probably 25 sets or less. These are not actual numbers, just relative scarcity of some specimen sets that I have had to hunt down over the years....

"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2183 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2015  1:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Paulsz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay so about 1000 VIP specimen. And there are specimen dollars that come in other cases by themselves. I''m guessing these are less rare as they go for typical price.

But then I see some 1970 dollars on eBay asking $300 for a SP66, and others asking $120. Anyone know why?
1. 1937 Mirror or Matte specimen coins, in SP64 or higher for mirror, and SP66 and higher for matte.
Learn More...
Canada
7969 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2015  1:25 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1970 dollar was also released as a cased single, with multiple coloured cases (some even with Chinese writing on them). It should not be worth more than $50... the other 1970 specimen strikes however, are much rarer...
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2183 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2015  3:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Paulsz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If ICCS had graded one, how would we be able to tell whether it came from the case or the rarer set. And what about the rest of the decimal coins for that year struck as specimen?
Learn More...
Canada
7969 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2015  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If ICCS had graded one, how would we be able to tell whether it came from the case or the rarer set.

You can't. They are both specimen strikes.

My eBay store
Valued Member
United States
142 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2015  11:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pasasap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Where can I find the mintages without having to buy a book for Proof-Like, Specimen, and Proof issues for Canada Small Cents?
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2018  12:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ridge to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is this discussion, by any chance, referring to the 1970 specimen
set that came in a hard, black case ? Or are there 1970 specimen sets
in different holders ?
I have one with the hard black case with a copy of news article that
was attached to it by a previous owner, suggesting that this type
was very scarce and valuable.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
607 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2018  12:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T1Steel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ridge-- Can you post photos?
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2018  1:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ridge to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes., I have the set at my bank safe deposit box, so I'll dig it out and share a photo with you guys.
I'll also take some pics of a 1908 Ottawa specimen set in intact original red case., an original 1949 PL set, a 1953 specimen set, a 1949 specimen dollar that I had pcgessed..

After 45 years in coin bizz I've managed to put away some nice pieces.
I might have to start thinking about liquidating most of my holdings so that the wife doesn't have to worry about getting cheated outta the true value of these things after I'm gone.
I realize that nobody will be able to get a better price for these coins than myself.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2183 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2018  1:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Paulsz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ridge,

That all sounds like really cool stuff! I'm excited to see the pictures. 1970 specimens came only in VIP Specimen Sets (i.e. that black case you're talking about). However, specimen dollars also came in a different box for that year, and are much more common.

The 1970 sets go for somewhere between $500-600 in that case.

United States
17 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2018  1:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ridge to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As long as I'm logged in to this forum, maybe some of you can offer some me advice, or your thoughts regarding my accumulation of Canada large cents. I have 3 to 4 thousands of them, and have been sorting them by years. I have done about half of them.
What would you do to liquidate them ? groups of 10-20 on eBay ?., look through all of them first to find the scarcer varieties, and wholesale the rest in one lump ?
I'm overwhelmed when I sit down in front of my six foot table I use to sort them. I've already pulled out the uncs and slabbed them, but the idea of missing out on a rare variety if I was to sell the entire lot is something only a hoarder like myself can understand.
I dont 'need' the money, and I'm in no danger of kicking off in the next few months, so... whattaido ?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1996 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2018  3:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Get a copy of the 2011 Charlton guide that has a large number of large cent varieties in the back. Check and see if you have some of them .. they are priced. Then check out any additional varieties/ID's on this site: http://www.coinsandcanada.com/coins-prices.php that will give you some idea of what you have. If you live close to the border, bring them up to Canada to find a buyer via the 4-5 coin sites. There are some dealers in the US who specialize in Canadian large cents (common and scarce) like Dale Schaffer in Tulsa. Or go to the buy and sell of some of the coin sites where you can sell, and not with eBay fees, your coins to fellow collectors .. but you may have to make xxx number of posts or length of membership) before you are eligible.

I also have Vicky large cents in the thousands and a fellow hoarder. I just like to look at them and help others. I'm game if you are selling Vickies.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1237 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2018  3:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With that many Canadian large cents I would take Okie's advise first by trying to find a 2011 Canadian Charlton coin book 65th edition it has a big section in the back of it with 80 or more different large cent varieties. Then second I would go through book for the years with said varieties that you may or may not have in your hoard.

Good luck and Happy Hunting
Pillar of the Community
Canada
863 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2018  5:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, that sounds like a pretty neat collection you have, I look forward to seeing some pictures.

If it was me, I would think about a few key questions first.

a) How much time do you want to spend sorting/selling?
b) If you don't "need" the money, will you try to maximize return (long game), dispose at a reasonable price or bulk sell at low price to get rid of them?

If you are going for medium/longtime sale, a copy of Charelton,as other have said, is a must.

1. Sorting by year is good and I would identify which years are the more valuable ones/cost benefit of time searching/examining vs. value. (eg. 1858, 1859, 1881, 1891 etc...)
2. I would then roughly grade them into piles G-F, VF-XF, AU/MS.
3. Pull out any high value coins (whatever that effort/value threshold is for you) and sell individually (maybe TPG if really valuable)
4. Make some interesting date sets by monarch out of the lower grades and sell them on eBay at a fixed price/make offer
5. Whatever is left over, sell in bulk, with 3-4k coins you can probably make quite a few interesting sets.

Have fun with that, I am a little jealous, I have always wanted to pour over something like that, it must be fascinating. There is a lot of good advice and ideas on this forum, it has really helped me figure things out over the last few years.
Edited by purelywasted
06/05/2018 6:59 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
863 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2018  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And if you have time, get your post count up to you can contact people directly (I don't remember if it is post count or preference, but your email contact is not active in the forum), from the sounds of your collection, there would be some interest in this forum on the Specimen coins, myself included, and the large cents are always popular
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.8 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05