Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your Star Notes!

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 76
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9517 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2019  11:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
here is a few star notes I got back as change from stores and a gas stations this week, all spenders.

Wow, six stars from the wild in one week... that's impressive! Agree they are spenders, but great finds nonetheless.
Edited by CelticKnot
04/11/2019 11:34 pm
Learn More...
United States
70978 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1925 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2019  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ten years ago you couldn't touch this note, in 66Q for anywhere close to $1,000. Some sold for double, even triple that. Someone snagged a bargain recently winning a January 2019 FUN Heritage Auction paying a mere $900 for a PMG 66EPQ.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3082 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2019  6:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't bid on that note in a CGA holder. Are you referring to a different note?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
35543 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2019  7:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm sure Steve is talking about a different note. I'm guessing he owns this 1st Generation CGA example (?), which even by those early standards, seems overgraded by two points just looking at the obverse. I own and have crossed many CGA notes, but certainly this is an outlier.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3082 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2019  7:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Frog, you must have gotten lucky. I crossed several 6x early CGA grades and every one came back no higher than 55.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
35543 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2019  8:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CGA notes are a minefield for sure, and 1st Gen in particular. No argument. I've cut and resubmitted many 1st Gen notes with the expectation they would come back one point lower, but still PQ paper, and I have yet to be disappointed. The front of this note would have put me off, but I have no clue as to the rarity of this note or the market price, which are more important factors.
Edited by Coinfrog
04/13/2019 8:30 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1925 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2019  04:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've yet to have a problem with CGA and moderns. The dozen or so I've crossed have been exact crosses.

Unfortunately the same cannot be said concerning large size. In defense of CGA, you would be hard pressed to find a nicer VF with original paper than this example. It's a paid opinion from experienced graders....emphasis on "opinion".

Edited by SteveInTampa
04/14/2019 08:13 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
35543 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2019  12:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The VF-30 to EF-40 range is a treacherous one, and I have disagreed with both PMG and PCGS often and about equally on such notes. PMG in particular seems to ignore its own clearly stated guidelines for EF-40 on a regular basis.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3082 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2019  2:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Unfortunately the same cannot be said concerning large size.

Interesting that you would use a Bison as an example. Look at this knockdown from 63 to 55. This thread is getting a bit off track, but obviously I have not had good experience with old CGA graded notes.

Edited by jimbucks
04/14/2019 2:44 pm
Valued Member
United States
324 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2019  10:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add harley1960 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hi,i got these star notes this weekend, $5 star at a store as change , and the $10 star as change for gas. both are keepers, the $10 star note could also be a birthday note? 03-28-1953. still fun finds

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
35543 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2019  10:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably just spenders.
Learn More...
United States
70978 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2019  11:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fun finds, but I agree with the frog, catch and release.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9517 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2019  12:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All in all, not in bad shape for notes from the wild, but I agree... still probably not worth tying up the $15.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1925 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2019  06:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love it when they match...

Page: of 76 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 3.07 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05