Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Most Uninspired Or Ugly (Modern) Circulating Coins

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 3,756Next Topic
Page: of 2
Learn More...
United States
99390 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2021  10:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I thought Beatrix was a mushroom at first glance.
I scrolled down the page before reading. I saw the image and thought that was a mushroom, then read this.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2495 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2021  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Crazy designs on the Dutch coins are not enough, they have also inflicted the art on their colonies and newly independent members of the Nederlandophone community.

Aruba modern coins (Other Antillies I think has weird coins too)

Again, the Dutch graphic and moderne artists are blamed, the series runs from 10 cents to 5 guilders/florins/wotsits and each coin is squae, round or some other shape.

Mauritius - Deer is okay (But design dates from the 1930s and is a bit dated in 2021) but that unsmiling dude has been on all their coins since the 80s. Can't they get rid of the de rigeur personality cult/Father of the nation theme and put a shield or something on the coins instead.

I have a mountain of Mauritian coins and all have this guy on them.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Edited by Princetane
04/01/2021 7:55 pm
Learn More...
United States
99390 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8514 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  05:50 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another of my less favorite recent UK commemoratives - the 2013 Benjamin Britten 50p. The weird 'rusticated' look on the reverse always makes this coin seem more worn than it really is, and, like the Alphabet 50p, it just gets worse after a few years in circulation. I also thought the attempt to cram the denomination on the obverse with all the Queen's titles made it look a bit cluttered:

Learn More...
United States
99390 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  08:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The weird 'rusticated' look on the reverse always makes this coin seem more worn than it really is
Oh my!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3950 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  08:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That 2013 Benjamin Britten would be a strong candidate for inclusion on the 'Mt Rushmore' monument to lame coin design.
Edited by ijn1944
04/14/2021 09:07 am
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3463 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  10:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That 2013 Benjamin Britten would be a strong candidate for inclusion on the 'Mt Rushmore' monument to lame coin design.
...yeah. And I thought the Wyoming quarter was boring.
Learn More...
United States
99390 Posts
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 3,756Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.37 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05