Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1919 D, 1919 S And 1923 S Lsq's

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
1450 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2015  5:17 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add terry8835 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
What should I pay for the above mentioned LSQ's in F-12 condition? I see the Red Book prices for the 1919's and they are sort of reasonable at high retail. When I go to try and buy them they are usually a 150 bucks higher online. The 1923S is just out of sight online that I see. I have the 1921 and I would like to complete this set even if I have to pay up for the 1916 if I could get it in VG condition. I see very few with even legible dates and prices that are close to being in line for any of these coins. I do look at Ebay and coin shows and LCS. So far the LCS has been by far the best place if I get lucky enough to find the coin before it is gone, gone, gone. They sell the 1921, 23S and 1916 the same day they get them as soon as they are graded and even before they go on display at my LCS. The 1916 I will have to do something different. If I knew the LSQ would be such a pain I might never have started it as a set. I only lack 4 coins.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
32751 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2015  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
http://www.numismedia.com/fmv/fmv.shtml Also check ebay sold values.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
1450 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2015  8:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add terry8835 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those prices are not unreasonable. Thanks because I would be more than willing to finish up my set with F-12 coins. Even those for the 1923S and the 1916 are big investments.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13021 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2015  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Terry , that's one tough set to put together in F-12. are there any coin shows in your area ? you might have a better chance there.
Good luck,
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8449 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2015  10:01 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That 1916 in F-12..please post it when you get it.

That's one coin I want but will probably never have.
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
United States
5156 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2015  11:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not really in the market for the 1916 SLQ but I do like to look at them. As an example here's a link to a decent PCGS VG-10 coin offered by Coast Coin, for $6495. For $1000 more they have a F-15 but I think the VG coin is more appealing. Coast Coin will often discount the asking price a little if you call them and haggle.

http://www.coastcoin.com/items/212953/

The 1916 is a scarce and expensive coin for sure but there are usually quite a few to choose from if you have the bucks. Keep looking for that perfect coin, and good luck!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13021 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2015  08:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
jaobler , Not to step on your toes or discredit you . but IMHO at don't like any coins offered by coast coins. something about them just doesn't sit right with me about their coins.
again that's just my opinion.
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
1450 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2015  08:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add terry8835 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The thing is a LSQ in just good condition is supposed to have a legible date. I have not seen any such coins, nor in VG. I am talking about the coins before 1925 with vulnerable date. I need to get camera and learn how to post pictures of my coins. I know if I have the money and buy slabbed 1916 I can get one but I just don't want to pay $10,000 for a coin in EF condition that does not look much better than one in F condition. These are well worn coins usually like early LWH dollars. Red Book says LSQ in VG condition should have a distinct date, toes faintly visible, Drapery lines visible above Liberty's left leg. Find me a 1916 like that and I might pay $5000. It would either have to be slabbed or come from my LCS who I know pretty well and who is an honest guy I have working relationship with. He knows if he gives me decent deals I will spend more money. If he screws me I won't be back. So far, so good. He did sell me a nice 1921 SLQ that was in between F-12 and VF-20 for a decent price.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8449 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2015  12:49 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Buy PQ for the grade on your 1916, that's a coin with strong upside in the future should you ever want to sell it.
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
United States
1450 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2015  2:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add terry8835 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is crazy but I went to my LCS today just a few minute ago. I was looking for 1919D LSQ. The owner had a 1923S in EF condition slabbed. I bought it. There goes the vacation money. I got it for $1300 since I am a regular at the shop for a long time. In no way did I intend to spend that kind of money today. It is NGS graded. I think I will keep this baby in the slab. The time to buy them is when you see them if you can afford it. I can afford it but feel like a partially lost my wits there for a minute.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4206 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2015  2:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Debrajc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats Terry. Now you are down to three coins in a very difficult series to assemble. Way to Go!!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16354 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2015  2:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The owner had a 1923S in EF condition slabbed. I bought it. There goes the vacation money. I got it for $1300 since I am a regular at the shop for a long time. In no way did I intend to spend that kind of money today. It is NGS graded. I think I will keep this baby in the slab.

Is it NGS or NGC graded? NGS is a basement slabber and your EF coin could very well be a VF problem coin. I don't normally pay attention to the grading on slabbed coins but most NGS slabs I have seen have been in your face obvious overgraded.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
1450 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2015  10:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add terry8835 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is a NGC slabbed coin. I just looked at it again to check. I am glad you picked up on that, or I would not have rechecked it. Since I bought this coin from a coin dealer I have known for some time I don't think he would have been fooled. It is graded XF 45 with no problems. I was pretty excited when I bought it and don't intend to break it out of its slab. The dealer said it was a coin that had been slabbed for a long time. I know the current value of this coin is about $1500 but he sold it for $1300. The turnover on his inventory for LSQ's in EF condition is about 24-48 hours he said. He says as soon as he puts them up for sale they are gone. He knows I am collecting them because I bought a 1921 from him recently. That is Gilder Coins in Tampa. The owner is a good guy I think. I see a lot of older people cashing out their collections when I visit the store.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05