Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1917 Type 1 SLQ On Pawn Stars

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 13,295Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
7387 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2015  11:51 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Cascade to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've stopped really watching pawn stars but it still records and I put it on in the background while I'm working and to my surprise I hear rick say "ooh, a booby coin" and I knew exactly what he was talking about. Watch it. It's a stunning example

Pillar of the Community
United States
3210 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2015  12:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Imthealphaomega to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Guy from NGC gave it a solid 65/66 full head. Rick paid $1000 coin supposedly worth $1500 or so. Just watched the episode
Pillar of the Community
United States
7387 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2015  12:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cascade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spoiler

Did ypu hear his crack about toning and collectors like it because it highlights details on the coin, which is kinda true but he makes no mention of eye appeal. I could tell though that he's gonna be keeping it even though he says it's for the shop
Pillar of the Community
United States
7302 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2015  12:55 pm  Show Profile   Check edweather's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add edweather to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I saw the episode, and immediately thought he overpaid for that raw coin. I was thinking that unless it is a 65FH, then no way. The expert then came in later and claimed it was a 65, but imo, Rick still overpaid, especially for a pawn shop. They are selling for $700 all day long on ebay-slabbed FH.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1450 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2015  1:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add terry8835 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, these shows including Antiques Roadshow gin up the prices on this stuff to impress us. I thought he overpaid. It is a 1917 not a 1916. Nobody is killing for a 1917 LSQ. Someone might kill your for a 1916 in that condition or even a 1923-S. I like Pawn Stars and Pickers but I think the prices are way too high in the real world for a lot of that stuff plus the secondary plots kill me. Roadshow always talks about retail and insurance values for stuff. These are not the prices the people will actually get if they sell the stuff. They will be lucky to get 50% of the quoted values. I knew a pawn broker and he told me the stuff he bought had no emotional value to him. He never took anything home. His small business was pushed out by Cash America Corp. They could operate at a loss to get rid of the competition in the area. Deep pockets.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3748 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2015  2:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I, too, saw that episode and had the same reservations expressed by Edweather. I sure did like the eye appeal, the toning, even though there was no close-up view. Toning can hide some serious flaws.

I've often referred to this type as the "Janet Jackson" variety ...
Pillar of the Community
United States
7387 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2015  3:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cascade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I've often referred to this type as the "Janet Jackson" variety...

So does that make Hermon MacNeil Justin Timberlake

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53406 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2015  3:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Indeed.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2066 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2015  9:26 pm  Show Profile   Check bandsdean's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add bandsdean to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Still a very nice coin notwithstanding. I too would not pay $1000.00 for it though.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4915 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2015  10:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHuntingDrew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My dad just called me down for a "booby quarter" and I saw this episode. Did it come back from NGC slabbed? Anyone have pics? Looked like a 64FH to me
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 13,295Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05