Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1806 Us $5 Gold Coin

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8438 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2015  4:18 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Woe be to the poor fellow or lass who lost a $5 gold coin in the early 1800s; that was a week or two weeks' worth of wages or sales, or maybe even more.

Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2015  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dignit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing- wonder what $5 could have bought in 1806 ?
Pillar of the Community
United States
6427 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2015  6:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverStackerKid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spectacular find! For the results from PCGS. Good luck, I hope it is real.

Whoever dropped it must of freaked out.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46101 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2015  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Using a simple compound interest rate of 2% (just as an assumption)), the purchasing power of $5 in 1806 would be around $310 in today's money, without any consideration of the gold content.

This actually makes some sense. Data show that average daily wages at this time were around $1 per day or higher for different kinds of laborers, and so Paralyse is correct in his guesstimate of a week's wages or more.

Edited by Coinfrog
11/14/2015 6:46 pm
Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2015  6:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dignit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, now this is absolutely insane and please believe me- but I found a $2 1/2 1853 gold coin today detecting, it was in a bezel (broken) with the chain.I know it is only worth about $300-500, but that is 2 gold coins in 10 days

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4996 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2015  7:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll believe the coin is real, along with the story behind it, once we see the coin in a TPG slab.

Until THAT happens this whole thing has an "odor" hanging over it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4996 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2015  8:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
By they way, your second gold coin is in a bezel ....on a chain? Bezels for gold coins in the 1800's? It would be more realistic if the coin was a love token, holed or soldered to a pin.

Sorry, but whole thing gets more unbelievable with every post you make.
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20393 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2015  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, that clasp and bezel is recent.
Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2015  8:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dignit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yup, the necklace and bezel I believe is from the last 50 years, someone had this as a charm on the necklace and I found this in a different county today with a witness who videoed it
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46101 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2015  8:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could you give us GPS coordinates where you dig, please.

Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2015  8:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dignit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And since there is no mint mark, this is only valued at $300-$600 , so I'm not going to spend the money to get it slabbed and graded. Here it is all rinsed off.The large $5 gold cost me $250 at the coin shop to send to PCGS

Pillar of the Community
United States
9274 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2015  8:59 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Yup, the necklace and bezel I believe is from the last 50 years, someone had this as a charm on the necklace and I found this in a different county today with a witness who videoed it

When you videoed this one did you tape the whole dig? I watched the other one and basically saw a $5000 gold coin next to a hole and some verbiage advertising metal detectors.
ANA #R3154474
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8438 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2015  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can find no reference to these finds on any of the major detecting sites; this is highly unusual as such finds would normally be what we call "banner finds".

I have seen finds grouped like this in large private pay-to-hunt events such as DIV, though, an event which is not above "seeding" (who wants to pay $250 to hunt and get nothing but a BBQ dinner?)

By the way, here are pictures of an 1806 quarter (silver) which was dug in Connecticut (not by me, unfortunately) -- this shows you that it is possible to recover coins from that era given the right soil.

Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20393 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2015  9:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I watched the other one and basically saw a $5000 gold coin next to a hole and some verbiage advertising metal detectors.

Yeah, and he was slamming a Facebook group link in almost every post.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4996 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2015  9:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Amazing! After being called out on the age of the bezel we just NOW discover that you "found it in a different county" than yesterday!

With the "luck" you had at the "colonial historical site", I'd figure you be there plowing it up with wreckless abandon!

Sorry, but I do not believe your stories one bit. Until you post pictures of THAT 1806 5$ in a TPG slab this didn't happen. I don't care what your video documention claims.

Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.86 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05