Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

French Tribute

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 27
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
5617 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2019  3:40 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1811 Gold 40 Francs, minted in Paris ('A' mintmark), showing Napoleon Bonaparte who was crowned Emperor of France in Notre-Dame Cathedral on December 2, 1804. Well, being a modest sort of chap, he actually placed the crown on his own head, although Pope Pius VII was in attendance!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2073 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2019  3:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Enjoy seeing all the wonderful French coins!
Learn More...
United States
77410 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1973 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2019  11:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Digging around in the archives I found another one....

This 2 franc minted in Paris is more significant than it is attractive. It was issued during Napoleon's 100 Days, which ended at Waterloo. The British did a better job of exiling him afterwards.

Napoleon inadvertantly did the US a couple big favors.The Louisiana Purchase, and being a major distraction for the British during the War of 1812. Napoleon escaped from Elba only a month after the battle of New Orleans, ending any further British exploits in the US.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Edited by thq
04/18/2019 11:49 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6210 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2019  06:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
- From Paris -

Kingdom of France -- 1/4 ecu, 1591:

Pillar of the Community
United States
2479 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2019  08:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A coin that came home with me from my first trip to Paris (1980). Have always liked the "semeuse" (seed sower)design.

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
5617 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2019  09:33 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A couple of coins from 1961. The first is a chrome-steel 5 centimes. This coin had a very short life in circulation as it was replaced by a smaller aluminium-bronze one in 1966:

.. and the Sower again on the obverse of a silver 5-franc coin. I brought this one back from holiday in France in 1971, when the silver 5 franc coin was already being replaced by the nickel-clad cupro-nickel version:

Here's a 1972 base metal 5-franc coin - this was demonetised in 2002 when France adopted the Euro. It's the same size as the silver 5F, but lighter (10g instead of 12g), and, apart from the obvious difference in the size of the obverse lettering, has another major difference - the edge is milled whereas the silver coins had 'LIBERTE EGALITE FRATERNITE' in raised letters around the edge.

Many French shops, train stations and banks would keep coins in grey plastic racks with the edges clearly visible, and, as a teenager in the late 1970s, I would look in the coin racks to see if I could spot any silver coins. Then I would be cheeky and ask for them!
Edited by NumisRob
04/19/2019 09:40 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2479 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2019  1:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice story!

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
10638 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2019  2:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1578 France.
1/8 Ecu.
Henry III

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
5617 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2019  2:51 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A very nice specimen, Dorado!

One of my favorite French designs - the Dupuis bronze 10 centimes introduced in 1898:

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
10638 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2019  8:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A very nice specimen, Dorado!

Thanks! NumisRob
Learn More...
United States
77410 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2073 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2019  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Francis I was a contemporary of Henry VIII of England
Teston of Dauphiné (nd, circa 1528)

Portrait by Jean Clouet, c. 1530
Learn More...
United States
77410 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2019  9:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Francis I was a contemporary of Henry VIII of England
Teston of Dauphiné (nd, circa 1528)
Very nice!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2479 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2019  11:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@NumisRob, indeed that is a great Art Nouveau design.

@t360, nice Francois Teston ... same hairdo as Duke Antoine in your avatar .

This one from a bit later ... Henry III Teston, Paris mint 1575 (the "A" for Paris is at 6:00 obv). For a brief time (1573-75), Henry was concurrently King of France and King of the Polish-Lithuanian commonwealth. Rumor (and television miniseries) holds that he may heave also been a suitor of Queen ELizabeth.

Edited by tdziemia
04/19/2019 11:08 pm
Page: of 27 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05