Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1974 Dollar

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2187 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2015  01:23 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Paulsz to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just bought a 1974 dollar for a couple of bucks. I figured if it wasn't anything, than I'd just use it as a pocket piece.

No double yokes over here, but taking a closer look at the small houses on the right edge of the 0, I noticed something different than with my other 1974 dollars.

The "edge of the wall" leading up from the first roof to the second is usually, straight, but this one has it crooked. Would this be a Die Deterioration, or a scratch, or anything in particular. It doesn't look like there's much sign of a straight line under the crooked one when coming from the higher roof down to the line.

Here's the dollar:

Taking a closer look:

This is what most 1974 I've seen have:

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2632 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2015  02:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alexer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think its rev-019 in Charlton double die.
Nice find
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4203 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2015  09:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chequer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with pennyman
Learn More...
Canada
8911 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2015  10:32 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I thought it looked like VCR-17... VCR-19 is the lower barn board.

Check out http://koinpro.tripod.com/Articles/...74__vars.htm to see photos of VCR-17 (discovered by yours truly)

For VCR-18 and VCR-19, you can (try) to look at my poorer attempt at photos here:

http://www.PCGS.com/SetRegistry/sho...aspx?sc=1648
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4203 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2015  10:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chequer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
rev-019 (VCR-18) seems a little more like it than VCR-17 in Charlton.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2187 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2015  12:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Paulsz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
im not too sure which one it looks like more. I'll take a closer look at home. The start of the bend is halfway down the barn, kind of like VCR17
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2632 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2015  3:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alexer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well I'm certainly not looking for an argument but..could this be a new one?
I looked at both Potter's site and the ones in 2013 Charlton and SPP's reg set, keeping later stage die changes in mind...not sure I see a perfect match.

I brightened and sharpened it a bit.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
765 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2015  5:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm having problems getting a proper picture but is this one the same?

Cheers, Bill

Second picture added
Edited by Hounddog Bill
11/27/2015 6:04 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2187 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2015  6:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Paulsz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
HounddogBill, I don't think so. Yours looks to be going through the lower barns roof edge, then up up to the second barn's roof with a slight bend that ends near the edge of the roof. The one I have seems to be curving up to the pointed part of the roof, or the "middle" part
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4203 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2015  12:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chequer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Stopped by my LCS this morning and picked up a number of nickel dollars at face - there were two '74s, so I just looked at them, feeling inspired by this thread, and found a VCR-4. Fun!

edited to add photo

Edited by chequer
11/28/2015 9:03 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2632 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2015  12:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alexer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think HounddogBill's does look the same.
I know nothing about these dollars, just trying to see what the experts see.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
765 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2015  1:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with pennyman100 mine does look the same to my eyes with the coin in hand.
I added the picture to give more credibility to the OP, I just can't get the proper picture with this new camera.
It doesn't look like the VCR #17 to me either.

Cheers, Bill
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2187 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2015  2:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Paulsz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not too sure how to attribute it but the one you posted Hounddog Bill is as close as it gets to mine. I'll say from the say die!

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05