Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Caps Coin Albums

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7
United States
25 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2015  9:30 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Cilrah to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Has anyone used the new Caps Coin Albums?

I have all my circulating coin collections in Dansco Albums and absolutely hate these albums. I'm sorry I'm sure some of you will swear by them but in my opinion they've ruined a lot of my coins, especially proofs. Plus you can never get update pages.

Finally someone came out with something I've been waiting for, the Caps Albums. Each coin goes in a Air-Tite holder then into the album. I fatal tee with the Kennedy album but had to replace most of the proofs. They are a bit pricey but I think worth it.

Any pros or cons from anyone who's been using them?

Valued Member
United States
92 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2015  10:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add crusherjc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, I have been using them for a few months, and so far I think they are great. Well worth the money. Here is a link to my review of them

http://goccf.com/t/240742#240742
United States
25 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2015  11:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cilrah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow thanks, great thread you started there. I can't stress enough to people how nice these albums are. I can't wait to get my coins out of the Dansco's and into caps.

Are you into Washington's. I've got a complete BU set of washingtons from 32 to current date, it's my pride and joy of all my collections. This set also includes all proof washingtons from 1950 - 1959.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6427 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2015  01:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverStackerKid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why do you hate dansco? The only reason your coins could have been ruined is if you have not been storing them properly. It's not on danscos side that the coins were damaged.
United States
25 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2015  06:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cilrah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SilverSkackerKid all of my proofs in my Dansco albums started changing colors (not normal toning) and I don't like the fact that you have to slide the sleeve over the coins to cover them. I'm just so much happier with the caps albums I guess.
Learn More...
United States
78463 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2015  11:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My oldest Dansco albums are right at 31 years old. Never a problem, never a complaint. However, I will add that I do like the CAPS albums.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6127 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2015  6:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I thought I read on this forum that people who use Dansco albums know they will tone their coins over time. This is the reason why I am hoping to replace all my coins into other options in the future.

I don't like toned coins b/c they are in a state of deterioration. They can be beautiful, but I like blast white much better - just personal preference.
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
United States
25 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2015  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cilrah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't say Dansco tones coins but for most of my proofs they are changing around the edges. I too like blast white coins.

I've got a complete set of BU blast white Washington quarters and I've bought all new proofs from '64-'98 because of the Dansco albums. All the statehood and above are okay so far but I really want to get them out of the Dansco albums soon.

Plus my biggest problem with Dansco is it's nearly impossible to get update pages for their albums.

With the Caps albums you can even customize your own pages. Like in the back of all my Dansco circulating coin sets I've got a blank page with all the proofs from '50-'59 and I can now make pages from caps for those proofs that show the year and Proof.
Learn More...
United States
78463 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2015  09:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The primary functions of the Dansco albums are organization and presentation. Protection is secondary and even then it is minimal.

If you store your Dansco albums in a location that is affected by the environment, then the coins will be exposed to that same environment. It should be obvious, but the albums are not air tight!

Storing them in a place with low humidity and stable temperature is a start. To that you must add more layers of protection... slip cases, zipper type plastic bags, sealed containers, desiccants, sacrificial coins, etcetera.

The CAPS albums do make it easier, by having a major layer of protection in the album itself.
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2015  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1carpediem123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To Cilrah: The Washington quarter CAPS Album #2094 has spaces for proofs 1950 to 1964.
United States
25 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2015  2:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cilrah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks 1carpediem123, I did not know that. Looking forward to getting my quarters in Caps albums.
Edited by Cilrah
12/10/2015 2:39 pm
Valued Member
United States
464 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2015  9:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add crazyglue to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have been thinking about buying them, but have not taken the plunge. I am considering the Kennedy Caps Album because of the reasons you mention-- and because I will then have spots for my 2014 variety types from the special set. However, I do not want to include the 3/4 oz gold coin and the Caps Album lets you make custom pages, so I can do whatever I want with that last page. For these reasons I like them.

But because they are so expensive I am not considering them for my circulated coins or even my less expensive BU coins such as Roosevelt and Jefferson.

After the Kennedy, not sure what I consider the value trade off, maybe my BU Franklin set or various quarter series or type. Not sure any other BU set I own would be worth enough to justify the expense of the album.
United States
25 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2015  9:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cilrah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Crazyglue I worry about the same thing as you. I have most my money in my Washington quarters and it will take probably four albums to do the entire collection. That will be quite an expense. Let's see, Christmas, then my birthday right after, that should knock out a few lol.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16015 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2015  10:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Capsules are an execellent way to preserve and store coins.
Albums are a very good way to present a series of coins. If coins are to be added to the series, the annotated album system is a bit too inflexible for some collectors, when it comes to presentation.
Neverthless, a cap album is an attempt to answer both needs, (preservation and presentation).

Slabbed coins don't fit into either of these systems, but slab albums DO exist.

Some sorts of collections don't lend themselves to any of these preservation / display systems, for example, ancient or hammered coins where the individual coin holder can take the details of the coin contained therein (2x2's).

Which of the system(s) you end up with has to be a personal choice, which is largely dictated by the type of collection you have.

I see that Eagle even has 40 pocket albums for mint sets.
That would be a good 'nudge' the U.S. Mint to produce mint set and proof set cases of a standard size.
Edited by sel_69l
12/11/2015 10:25 pm
Valued Member
United States
253 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2015  10:26 pm  Show Profile   Check Singer's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Singer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know the question has been asked previously on other threads but I haven't seen an answer. Will OGP capsules fit in the CAPS albums or will the coins need to be transferred into air-tite capsules?

I'm specifically interested in the Modern Commemorative Dollars.

Thanks1
Valued Member
United States
464 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2015  10:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add crazyglue to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Singer, my understanding is that the ogp capsule for the modern commemoratives do not fit into the Caps Album. They would have to be transferred to an airtite and then placed in the album.
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05