Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Caps Coin Albums

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7
Valued Member
United States
253 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2015  10:37 pm  Show Profile   Check Singer's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Singer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks! Crazyglue. Would love to use this but the cost starts to become prohibitive. Still...
Valued Member
United States
464 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2015  10:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add crazyglue to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I understand. I would love to use it too. I looked at the Kennedy and it is nearly $100 between just the 1964-2000 Album and the associated 147 air-tites. Throw on the 2001-2015 and it goes up to about $150 total between two books and all the airtites.

The modern commemorative silver dollars are THREE albums plus all the airtites if you are aiming for both Unc and Proof and the whole span. This is more value to me than the kennedy, because of the cost of all 140+ silver dollars (unc. and proof combined).

United States
25 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2015  06:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cilrah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Crazyglue is correct, I got the word directly from the Caps people, OGP Capsules do not fit into their albums.

I look at it this way. You could easily spend $400 dollars on one coin, why not spend $400 one time to protect the whole collection of a series.

My next question to ponder is, should I buy the later books to protect the more current proofs or the first book first to protect the older BU/UNC coins? I know those are much more expensive coins but they don't seem to age as bad in the current Dansco's that I've got them in now.
Edited by Cilrah
12/12/2015 06:37 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18678 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2015  8:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with your opinion of Dansco. I use mostly Whitman Albums. I do have a few Dansco and other brands but basically, I prefer Whitman. It's been odd over the years as to preferences in Album manufacturers and there are today, many. I prefer Whitman due to availability, cost, versatile and great thinking in the layouts. Dansco with so many blank slots due to poor planing just turns me off.
I've never heard of Caps but will look for them at the next coin show.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
464 Posts
 Posted 12/26/2015  09:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add crazyglue to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I took the plunge and ordered the CAPS Modern Half Commemorative album as my initial foray into CAPS Albums to test it.

First-- the thing is huge. You read from other people that it is huge, but you don't really realize it until you get it.

I thoroughly enjoy it already. I went ahead and ordered the first of the modern commemorative dollar proof and unc folder. Can't wait!

I included some pictures. I chose this album first because they were in a Dansco already and fading fast. Unlike most of my Danscos I did not fill this myself and I have no idea how much care was put into placing them in the album or how long they had been there before I acquired them.

It makes me really want to move my Kennedy to the CAPS, but that investment is two albums and airtites and I haven't convinced myself to do it yet.

Overall I am very happy with the purchase. Not sure how many pages will fit comfortably in a book so I can perhaps reduce expense and combine certain things if I ever do convert them all.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10116 Posts
 Posted 12/26/2015  11:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks great, crazyglue! Thanks for the pics.

How many pages are in the Modern Commemorative Half Dollars album? What are the dimensions of the album?
Valued Member
United States
464 Posts
 Posted 12/26/2015  5:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add crazyglue to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The pages are 10x12 and the binder is even bigger. I mean, it is huge. While beautiful, it poses its own problems. If I ever choose to sell it on eBay, it isn't fitting in anything other than a big box. No flat rate priority envelope. Also, since I don't display mine where people can figure out what I have and then want to rob me when I go on vacation or when I have them stay over (family, sheesh, lol)-- the sheer impressive beauty and size of the folder is useless. It makes me want to put it in a glass case and display it. Which, of course, I am too paranoid to do.

It came with 3 pages. It is printed through 2014 on the first two pages, but they included a full blank page for 2015 and beyond. It is good to go for a decade or so, I imagine.

I'm guessing it could comfortably hold a fourth page, but I think that would be the extent of it.

I can see a lot of possibilities...especially if I used my own binder or bought blank binders. You can make custom pages or buy the pages for a lot less than the price including the binder.

The other possibility I see with the Caps album is that Dansco never updates their pages and Dansco includes the variations it wants to include (i.e. 1922 plain), but not necessarily the ones I want it to include. For instance, with the Caps Album Kennedy series, I can have the 1998 Matte and the 1964 Accented Hair and all the 2015 varieties in the album if I buy their stock item, or I can custom build it without any of them, or with some of them, but not others.

Looking at a Dansco and looking at this side by side-- I don't feel this is any less "human" or "close" to the coins than the Dansco. In the Dansco the coin is in a hole with plastic above it and I have to turn the page. Not much different than this. I don't feel this is anything like having them in a slab.

One complaint I have is I find the Caps Album website to be poorly designed and have very little good information. I realize that is a subjective opinion, of course. Others may love their website. I like that they include a picture of every page, but other than that, I don't find much about their site that is helpful to me.

I actually used Valley Coins to place my order, as I found their website much easier and quicker to navigate and made a whole lot more sense. And cheaper.

Another complaint is that it all has a learning curve. Some airtite are direct fit and some have to have rings and if you plan on customizing, you have to learn the stuff well enough to order the right page design. I haven't learned all that well enough.

Of course, I have a final complaint. It isn't cheap. I don't mind paying to protect certain ones, but I'm not going to buy a Caps album to put a circulated series into them.

Overall, I see myself transitioning to these over time for my most special non-circulated coins of value and to make my own customized albums (i.e. my own type albums).

Edited by crazyglue
12/26/2015 6:01 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10116 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2015  12:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent review and insights, crazyglue. This is definitely food for thought, particularly:

Quote:
Of course, I have a final complaint. It isn't cheap. I don't mind paying to protect certain ones, but I'm not going to buy a Caps album to put a circulated series into them.

Overall, I see myself transitioning to these over time for my most special non-circulated coins of value and to make my own customized albums (i.e. my own type albums).
Pillar of the Community
United States
500 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2015  1:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfusion to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have 3 of these albums but this is the only one I have that is complete...less a few upgrades in the future:

I have see a couple of posts with other CAPS type set albums. I like the way it turned out. Just have to get a few more nicer coins for it.

Valued Member
United States
464 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2015  2:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add crazyglue to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow-- Confusion, that is a beautiful set and it looks really good in your album! Makes me want to get that type set album too!
Rest in Peace
United States
7075 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2015  2:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Buddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

The thing is...I love the way silver looks in the navy blue albums.

Going window shopping now....
Pillar of the Community
United States
6129 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2015  3:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow - Really nice looking set/album.
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
United States
25 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2015  3:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cilrah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice looking albums crazyglue and coinfusion. I've already started my Kennedy Collection in the first album (if I knew how I'd post pictures) and looking forward to doing the second album really soon.

I've said it before, yes they are expensive albums but how much do you have invested in the collection your putting in a caps album? I think the value of the coins out weighs the cost of the album.

The only thing I'm scared of is when I start doing my Washington quarter collection, I think that's four our more albums
Pillar of the Community
United States
500 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2015  10:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfusion to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks and VERY nice set yourself crazyglue! One of these days I will pick up a camera and take some nicer pictures. I do like these albums.
Rest in Peace
United States
1501 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2015  01:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add COINAHOLIC to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well,I too took the plunge and ordered one through Amazon for my Silver Eagles. The album I am currently using only holds 30 capsules with no room for expansion.
The caps album goes to 2017 and is able to be added onto.
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.11 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05