Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Project $100k - Circulating U. S. Half Dollar Coins

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 1,066 / Views: 100,701Next Topic
Page: of 72
Valued Member
United States
51 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2021  10:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SamuelPickwick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I used a half dollar at Dairy Queen today.

$24,114.50 to go.

Like most fast food type places, typically young people are employed there. Due to a deal I had, the total bill came to fifty cents and I handed the likely high school aged employee a half dollar coin. She didn't seem surprised to see it, however after I got ready to leave the drive thru window, I noticed she was back at the window holding something. I asked what that was and she said my change. Then I could see the edges of two quarters.

I told her that was a half dollar I gave her and she seemed a little embarrassed.
Learn More...
United States
113567 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
10546 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2021  11:52 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Put one in the tip jar yesterday when buying a Chinese carry-out snack in Quincy Market, Boston.

Just used eight on Amtrak train between Boston and New York for coffee including a tip.

$24,110 to go.
Learn More...
United States
113567 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
10546 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2021  07:48 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bought some snacks from the lady in the bar car on the Amtrak Siver Meteor to take back to my seat. Total bill was $5.50. I gave her a $20 but could see she was having trouble finding $1 bills for change. I produced a half dollar and asked "Will this help?" She accepted it and gave me a $10 and a $5 but then grumbled that her till had nowhere to put the half dollar!

$24,109.50 to go.
Learn More...
United States
113567 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2021  11:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well done.

Hopefully she figured out where to put it.
Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
10546 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2021  06:57 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yesterday evening l spent two on a candy bar in a branch of Walgreens in Orlando and another one at McDonalds. In both cases the tellers (who sounded like recent Hispanic immigrants) looked totally confused by the coins, but agreed to accept them when l (an English guy!) Explained what they were.

$24,108 to go!
Edited by NumisRob
12/23/2021 9:39 pm
Learn More...
United States
113567 Posts
United States
45 Posts
 Posted 12/26/2021  2:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cladboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Handed the toll collector a 1971-D on the way to the in-laws for Christmas dinner. Dropped a 1974 on the way back home. Ghosts of Christmas past, I'd say.

$24,107 to go!
Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
10546 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2022  5:21 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A few days ago when my cruise ship called in San Juan, Puerto Rico, I spent four!

Two at the gift shop in the old Spanish San Cristobal fortress when I bought a postcard. The guy at the cash desk accepted them without comment but examined them carefully. Later I spent another two with other coins and bills (including a cull Buffalo nickel) at a gift shop in the old town. The lady at the till accepted them but said "I've never had any of these before!"

$24,105 to go!

On the other hand, yesterday, in the US Post Office in St Thomas (US Virgin Islands), I tried to use some to buy stamps and they were refused! The woman at the till said "I can't accept these - the bank won't take them!" I didn't argue as it was nearly time to get back on the ship...
Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
10546 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2022  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lynx buses in Orlando won't accept them in the farebox but the lady selling snacks at the Amtrak station was thrilled when I used one in part payment for some potato chips. She said "I haven't seen one of these for years!" and excitedly showed it to her colleague!

$24,104.50 to go!
Learn More...
United States
113567 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
10546 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2022  12:51 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Used one towards a $2.50 coffee in the Amtrak buffet car - no trouble. Just bought a pizza and another coffee and put two Kennedys in the tip jar.

$24,103 to go!
Edited by NumisRob
01/04/2022 12:53 pm
Learn More...
United States
113567 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
10546 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2022  8:54 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Planning to fly home tomorrow but my travel plans have been disrupted by bad weather on East Coast and am still on train heading very slowly for New York. Just spent 6 Kennedy halves on coffee in the buffet car. No problem spending them.

$24,100 to go!
Edited by NumisRob
01/04/2022 8:55 pm
Page: of 72 Previous TopicReplies: 1,066 / Views: 100,701Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.54 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: