Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Junk Silver Prices Thread - Report In Here

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 287 / Views: 37,847Next Topic
Page: of 20
Pillar of the Community
United States
1842 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2021  2:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In all honesty, before the US got its own Mint several different coins from all over the world were circulating in the Colonies. That was not really a problem back then as the coins traded according to their precious metal content. I think the same will happen in the future if TSHTF.

Quote:
I must assume that you do not stack NumisEd.

I have my bottles of ASEs. I am just debating whether or not I should diversify into 90% junk coins (Franklink Halfs, probably) and/or other bullion coins.
Edited by NumisEd
10/30/2021 2:37 pm
Valued Member
United States
432 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2021  2:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kurrykid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have my bottles of ASEs. I am just debating whether or not I should diversify into 90% junk coins (Franklink Halfs, probably) and/or other bullion coins.

IMHO I would say...absolutely. You see the value now and the fact that some online bullion dealers don't even have it in stock. That should say something!
Valued Member
United States
252 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2021  5:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dowhat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Of course you should. The supply of constitutional silver is dwindling as demand increases therefore the higher premiums. As mentioned by Kurrykid, many bullion dealers are low inventory for the 90%, thus the lucrative deal to get you to sell. Sell I will not. Regardless of price.
As I mentioned, my LCS had 90% today but only halves. That is a first around here. The supply is getting low.
As an alternative, I went to .999 Britannia's. They have been readily available until the 2022 run announced they ran out silver and production quotas would not be met. Yet another sign.
My current attention is RCM Maple Leaf's struck in 4 nines for 2022. .9999 pure.
IMO, Britannias and Maple Leafs for now and watch the Krugerands as well. Best bang for the buck, widely recognized bullion at a decent premium.
It will take a lot longer for your ASE's to attain value due to the unwarranted high premiums you paid compared to these alternatives. Again, that is only my opinion.
Pillar of the Community
United States
611 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2021  04:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jskirwin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Suddenly sh-- got interesting in this thread. Learned a lot too.
Valued Member
United States
206 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2021  02:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HappyHippo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
11/02/21 - LCS is $22.33 x face value. This is in Michigan. ASEs are $32.95. Generic $27.78. Have not bought there for awhile since it seems high to me. When I do, I usually get Franklins. Silver spot price is $24.08. Their prices are not too out of line with online. But last couple of months, I have been buying online specials.
Valued Member
United States
355 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2021  02:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bought junk silver at 18x face this morning.
Edited by NumismaticsFTW
11/02/2021 02:19 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1842 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2021  5:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I bought junk silver at 18x face this morning.

That seems to be great price!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2471 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2021  9:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Arkie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Again, buying at 17, selling at 20.
Valued Member
United States
252 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2021  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dowhat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I went to my least desired LCS today as I was working in the neighborhood.
90% @ 20xFV
They also had a decent amount of Morgan & Peace culls. All of the Peace dollars were apparently from a single buy they recently made. They were in Airtights, cleaned and whizzed. $25/ea. About a dollar over spot! Way to high for me as numismatic value is gone now.
Regardless, I picked some up as they are harder to come by lately and I want to fill this tube. I think $22/ea. would have been more like it. That's way generous. More like melt value, but those days are gone.
Living proof that something is worth what someone is willing to pay.
Next time I will drive the extra miles.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2417 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2021  4:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder if people were buying the dip when I told them to a month and a half ago?

Or even two weeks ago...

http://goccf.com/t/247670&whichpage=17#3517662
CRH Nickeloholic. 1,300,000 nickels searched in five years! Already have found THREE complete Jefferson sets!
Edited by John77
11/12/2021 4:10 pm
Valued Member
United States
355 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2021  6:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Certain LCS are charging 25x face. My favorite one is at 19.5x face today.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1842 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2021  01:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Charging 25x face is delusional. That is $35 per oz.! Foreign mint silver bullion coins are a much better deal.
Valued Member
United States
252 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  3:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dowhat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Greetings like minded people. I am wishing your holiday season is fruitful.
My Friday trip to my favorite LCS.
Sought to catch the dip. Spot @ $23.09. Which to me says melt @ $16.51 or so. $1FV was $18.81. About 14% premium if my calculations are correct. Not bad at all compared to other shops over 25% for Black Friday.
I acquired 3 X RCM 2021, .9999 silver Maple Leafs @ $28.86 ea. That is $7.79 over spot after tax (which I was not aware applied to RCM coinage). Apparently, only constitutional silver is tax exempt. The ask was actually spot + $5. Then tax. $92.64 total. Change due, $7.36.
Received my change with 1935 Washinton 25cent($4.70), 1953 Roorevelt dime ($1.88), and 19 wheat cents from "27" to "52". Mostly 30's.
I asked for a 1932 D quarter. No luck. So then I asked for a 1922 LWC, plain, no luck.
However, there is an interesting 1936 LWC I am sure is DDR. They are numerous and difficult to distinguish with wear and tear, yet I know it is one.
As soon as I can narrow it down, I will seek some input. I,'ve narrowed it down to about 4.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2471 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  10:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Arkie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
LCS buying at 16/17x, selling at 20x. And were complaining that they couldn't maintain any supply.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
92 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  11:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kaddyshack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My LCS was selling pre 1965 dimes at 21 X Face last week. They had a big tray of Mercs and Roosevelts. I picked out 4 rolls of decent condition Mercs (mostly late 1930s and 1940s).
Page: of 20 Previous TopicReplies: 287 / Views: 37,847Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: