Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Junk Silver Prices Thread - Report In Here

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 380 / Views: 45,884Next Topic
Page: of 26
Valued Member
United States
437 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2022  3:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kurrykid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd buy it all at 15x. I wouldn't count on getting 20x at a coin show but you can probably do better than 15x.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
105 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2022  10:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kaddyshack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
LCS is selling Mercs at 22.5X face, lots of dimes to look through.

Valued Member
Canada
188 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2022  12:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fefimo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bought a bunch of 90% halves and dimes in Canada at $17.63/dollar. Sold the walking libertys so far at 21-22. Did the cad to usd conversion.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4256 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2022  3:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
They are out of their minds.
That's also what a few popular online vendors are asking (25 times face). I don't believe it's the sellers that are crazy, buyers are paying these prices.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Edited by fistfulladirt
06/25/2022 3:06 pm
Valued Member
Canada
464 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2022  8:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gawd0wns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why is a 1 oz gold coin is selling at about 5-6% over the spot price, when silver is selling for over 40+%? If demand for physical bullion is really high, would we not see a higher spread for gold as well?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1143 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2022  11:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CalzoneManiac to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it has something to do with silver being more affordable than gold so more people are buying silver than gold.
Valued Member
United States
94 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  8:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add glenmorenee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Went to a big coin show today. The bid for US coin silver was 13x-14x and was not enthusiastic to say the least. Everybody had plenty and I didn't see any moving, but I did not ask what the offer multiple was.
Valued Member
United States
479 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  7:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add livingwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bought 50 Franklin halves, 50 1964 Kennedy halves today at LCS, $21.42 face. Quarters were $20.42, dimes $20.20. I like Walking Liberty halves but I only own about twenty of them for stacking due to wear, a few with much of the dates gone. They weigh about 7% - 8% less than lightly circulated Franklins, Kennedys.

As you all know silver premiums are really high right now unless you shop sales or find bargains. In 2018 I only paid $11.07 face for halves at my LCS. Similar to buying stocks/mutual funds over time, thinking in terms of dollar cost averaging for my stack eases the pain a bit for current high premiums.

Not saying this is for everyone, but I like to keep a balanced stack, about 35% government issue bullion, 35% private mint rounds/bars, 30% junk (constitutional).

Edited by livingwater
07/02/2022 10:34 am
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19823 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  02:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can usually buy silver in small amounts for below ASW spot.
World junk silver coins can sometimes come as part of a numismatic job auction lot, where the numismatic items within the lot are the reason to place a bid.
Have been using this strategy for 30+ years.

In regard to ASW, I suppose that I could best be regarded as a silver accumulator, not a larger volume stasher.
A benefit in two ways:-
It has given me the chance of building a World OFEC collection in silver only, from the silver accumulation, so a numismatic bonus collection into the bargain as well.
Leftover silver coins remain as a World junk silver accumulation.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2439 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  11:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spot has slipped to $19.23... This is the lowest it has been since August 2020.

In layman's terms, this means your "junk" 90% silver half is worth a little less than $7 at the moment.
CRH Nickeloholic. 1,300,000 nickels searched in five years! Already have found THREE complete Jefferson sets!
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1265 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2022  12:03 am  Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well not this time from @Sel_69l, Status international all our more common silver junk went from 5% above spot when spot was 21 USD.
Pillar of the Community
United States
674 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2022  02:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My LCS had 90% for 19x face
Pillar of the Community
United States
2439 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2022  12:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's ticked as low as $18.95/oz on the NY exchange this morning.
CRH Nickeloholic. 1,300,000 nickels searched in five years! Already have found THREE complete Jefferson sets!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1841 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2022  3:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter53562 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Spot has slipped to $19.23... This is the lowest it has been since August 2020.

In layman's terms, this means your "junk" 90% silver half is worth a little less than $7 at the moment.

I think you are confusing worth and intrinsic value. Yes, the intrinsic value is only $6.87 if spot is $19.23. But, what it's worth is dependent on what people are willing to pay for it. People are still buying 90% halves well above the intrinsic value and therefore it's worth more than $6.87/each.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2850 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2022  10:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
16x although I won Roosevelt dimes at an auction for 14x
Edited by Oldfordman
07/13/2022 10:59 am
Page: of 26 Previous TopicReplies: 380 / Views: 45,884Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: