Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Goal: 25,000 Rolls Of Nickels (All Searchers Welcome!)

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 789
Pillar of the Community
United States
3294 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2008  09:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nod2003 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Apparently a truck just spilled $182,000 of nickels

http://www.wftv.com/news/17492850/detail.html
Valued Member
United States
415 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2008  10:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add florida to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep! And the showed a "U.S. Mint" blue bag on tv, so they are probably all new 2008 nickels.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2548 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2008  5:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mycrob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
STORY: They say that it costs more than a nickel to MINT a nickel. But I wonder how much it costs after you factor in shipping, having to pay the shipping company and the driver and his lodging (if he doesn't sleep in the truck) and meals, and possible insurance for the load they are carrying. Maybe it really is a 10 cents or more per coin?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8472 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2008  5:20 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think that 3.5 million nickels is a very large percentage of the 162.24 million 2008 P minted nickels but there will be some considerable "bag marks" on this load.

So far this year the 2008 nickels were being minted in far fewer numbers.
There has been a significant steady decrease in minted coins since 2000. There are 245.52 million 2008 D minted nickels and even far less 2008 P.

So maybe grabbing a MS-69 or MS-70 graded PCGS nickel would be a good idea?

I bet that somebody could easily use a coin detector and pick up a couple hundred nickels after the clean-up. But watch out for trucks and cops!
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Edited by TNG
09/18/2008 6:43 pm
Learn More...
United States
82516 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2008  5:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I bet that somebody could easily use a coin detector and pick up a couple hundred nickels after the clean-up.
You know it will happen!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8472 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2008  01:56 am  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey I have a wantlist of varieties posted on pg 30 and just wanted to say I got a 1941 S Large S Jefferson today in XF. Still need 1942 D over Hor D , 1946 D over Hor or Inverted D, 1946 S with the hockey stick die break and a 1949 D over S and the earlier 38 to 51 proofs.
My favorite album!
Valued Member
United States
88 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2008  07:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinblogger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would love any MS-70 coins. They are awesome to look at.
Valued Member
United States
415 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2008  1:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add florida to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you possibly fill a type set from one box? The answer is YES! (Of course, minus the Shield nickel.)

Today's box:

Dateless Buffalo (looking like a 1913 Type 2, thanks to acid)
1943-P
1949-S (finally!)

And a 1960 Proof to boot.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2569 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2008  4:57 pm  Show Profile   Check XavierOfGreen's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add XavierOfGreen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
impressive, weve gone through so many nickels on this forum I wouldnt be surprised if a 1882 liberty head showed up!
Oldest Found-------
Cent: 1842 (from machine) ---- Three Cent: 1866 [Nickel] (from machine)
Nickel: 1883 (from roll) ---- Dime: 1911 (from roll)
Quarter: 1932 (from machine) ---- Half: 1917 (from roll)
Dollar: 1880 (from machine) ---- Foreign: 1863 (from machine)
Valued Member
United States
415 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2008  10:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add florida to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They're definitely out there, and Wachovia has been the bank supplying all these oldies. This is the second box from them that's had a Liberty nickel in it, and the third box with Buffalo nickels.

These have been found in only $800 worth.
Edited by florida
09/25/2008 10:52 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2569 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2008  12:06 am  Show Profile   Check XavierOfGreen's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add XavierOfGreen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ive pulled a 1883 with cents in xf/au and a moderately circulated 1950 proof ive gone through around 50 - 60 thousand nickels since ive started and have only found one liberty head and two proofs. Buffalos I find around one every 4 or five boxes, most have no dates though. Most silver I ever found was 6 in one box.
Oldest Found-------
Cent: 1842 (from machine) ---- Three Cent: 1866 [Nickel] (from machine)
Nickel: 1883 (from roll) ---- Dime: 1911 (from roll)
Quarter: 1932 (from machine) ---- Half: 1917 (from roll)
Dollar: 1880 (from machine) ---- Foreign: 1863 (from machine)
Pillar of the Community
United States
2734 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2008  12:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DNA to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One of the dateless Buffalo nickels that I got from circulation (years ago) has turned out to be a "1917-S", thanks to a little vinegar and a few Q-tips (the "S" mintmark on back was and is very legible, but the date area was flat...)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8472 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2008  6:16 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coppernickeldaddy where are you? Come back and tell us how you are and what you have found lately? This is my favorite thread.
You are missed.
My favorite album!
Pillar of the Community
United States
923 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2008  2:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mfhorn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wheezydog:

I think Daddy has been doing halves lately. He's been posting on the JFK roll hunters a lot.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8472 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2008  5:04 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks! mfhorn, I go see whats new there and say hi later on.
My favorite album!
Page: of 789 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 3.16 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05