Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Goal: 25,000 Rolls Of Nickels (All Searchers Welcome!)

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 781
Pillar of the Community
United States
2224 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2008  11:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coppernickeldaddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another 100 roll update.....good hits for silver nickels this time around!

And, two milestones (one major, one minor) The major one: this endeavor has now produced a roll of silver nickels! The minor one: filled one of the ten open holes in the set (1953S; two of them)

100 rolls
37 pre 1959
5 silver nickels (1942P,1943P,(2)1944P,1945P)
no oddball finds

GRAND TOTALS TO DATE:

1900 rolls
810 pre 1959 (5 most common: 1940(69),1957d(68),1941(65),1958d(63),1954d(44)
42 silver nickels (3 most common: 1943S(11),1944P(10),1943P(9)
1 Proof (1993s)
5 Buffalo nickels (dateless,1920,(2)1927,1929s)
3 Bermuda 5 cents (1970,1987,1996)
1 Bahamas 5 cents (2000)
1 Belgium 1 Franc (1975)

Nine dates remain to complete the set:
38d,39d,39s,43D,44D,44S,50,50d,51s

Kind of odd that with the success finding silver nickels that I have had, there are still three dates that haven't yet appeared. And, almost 75% of the ones I have found are the three dates listed above. Go figure...

After the next update, I'll list the number found of each date, as it will be the 2000 roll mark. Happy Hunting!

Chevrolet, I bow to you! A V nickel!!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2568 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2008  11:06 am  Show Profile   Check XavierOfGreen's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add XavierOfGreen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i suggest that if the date on the V nickel you found is illegible, apply some nic a date, you never know you couuld have a 1913 on your hands lol
Oldest Found-------
Cent: 1842 (from machine) ---- Three Cent: 1866 [Nickel] (from machine)
Nickel: 1883 (from roll) ---- Dime: 1911 (from roll)
Quarter: 1932 (from machine) ---- Half: 1917 (from roll)
Dollar: 1880 (from machine) ---- Foreign: 1863 (from machine)
Valued Member
United States
128 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2008  1:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numi 63 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CND,

Congratulations on your milestones! I've been following your endeavor and, I must say, you've gotten me much more interested in searching nickels. I've liked them from the start but even more so now. I think I'm going to get a little more serious about it. Especially if I stand to find a full roll of silvers! Makes you wonder how many more you might come accross by the time you reach your goal of 25,000 rolls.?

I'm also going to start keeping better track of what I search. I'll then make an effort to post all my finds here. What criteria are you following? Such as, are you keeping track of all dates, are there any coins/dates you aren't keeping track of, etc?

I'll start by listing the approximate number of rolls and the finds I've made in them.
So far in 52 rolls:
23 Pre-58 (most common date; 1958D @ 5)
1 Silver (a 1943P)
5 Canadian 5 cents

I decided I would keep track of the canadian nickels. I'm particularly interested in anything pre-'82 in those because of their high nickel content. I may also hang onto the '82-01's because of the 75/25 copper/nickel content. Just intrinsic value stuff. CND, if you start hanging onto the pre-82 Canadian stuff maybe we could work out some trades later on for some key dates you might be missing. If not on the Can. stuff then maybe for sure on the US stuff? You know, coin for coin to help fill in whatever gaps we may have?

Hopefully by the end of next week I'll have gone through a couple of boxes and will have something more substantial to share.

In the mean time, I'll keep contributing to the forum until I get my 50 posts. By then, who knows what I might have available.
Valued Member
United States
128 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2008  1:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numi 63 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Of-grandpa,

Thanks for sharing your general location. It's interesting to match the finds people are making with their area. I'm in west KY, only about 2 hrs from the Arkansas border. I'm not sure of the pop. of the town I live near but I'm certain it's quite a bit less than 50,000. In other words, a pretty rural area.

I also want to ask a question here. Now I know it's way off topic but I'm not sure where else to go to ask. But since I know you guys are into metals that have value, I'm hoping someone will know where to direct me. I'm also asking here because I know this thread is getting fair amount of traffic.

First a brief background. My home-based business is metal reclamation of all types. Recently some folks I know gave me permission to remove any and all metals from an old house (1920's) that they are about to have demolished. Obviously my primary focus is to remove all copper pipes and wiring. Now, my question is; Does anyone know of a tool that makes easy work of removing the palstic coating from copper wire? Presently, I know of only two ways of removing the coating. 1- The hard way of cutting with a box knife and alot of sterss on the hands due to pulling and yanking at it to get it off. The second is to burn it until the pastic has melted away. There are a number of drawbacks to this method. One; it produces a less valuable end product and two; burning off all that plastic is not good for the environment. Even though I live in a rural area where burning trash outdoors is permitted, I'd rather not use this method.

I can tell you folks are a pretty smart bunch, so , any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.
Valued Member
United States
473 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2008  5:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GFR3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Xavier, you mentioned the 1964's. Man, don't you guys just get tired of seeing those? It's amazing how many you can come accross in a single roll. I get excited almost every time when I first see one, because you can tell it's an old nickle, but then I flip it over and there it is - another darn '64 .

lol I hear you load and clear on that one! Its funny how often they show up upside down....you notice the "old" look to it....maybe notice a tiny 'D' on the side....could it be? have I found that infamous 50D?....its....its....another friggin 64! Man do I hate those. If I had a nickel for every 64 I saw i'd....well I'd probably through them in the reject pile

Nice job on the V nicks Chevy! I've gotten my fair share of Bufs but wow! That's just an incredible find! Congrats!

My box yesterday was just wonderful--46 pre-59s, 2 Bufs (30 and 36), 3 different Canadians, 1 Colombian 50 pesos coin (my first of such kind) for a total of 52 keepers. No silvers, but I found the 42D non-silver that was missing in my books. I'm going to pick up a few boxes tomorrow morning that is going to have to last me until Tuesday when I'm off next. I've now searched 500 rolls and I must say that I am pleasantly surprised at the success I've been having. Not only is my 38-61 Jefferson book almost full, but I've built up a nice Canadian collection and am a proud owner of a respectable Buffalo collection. Nickels rock!

--Gary

oh, I found a 42 non-silver at work today. I saw it heads up and my heart missed a few beats hoping for that silver

Learn More...
United States
76310 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2008  6:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Nearly 3 billion of them minted in '64. What the heck got into the mints that year?! Maybe they wanted to make sure all the baby boomers were going to have enough nickels?

I heard or read it somewhere that the mass production of nickels in 1964 was to ramp up supply for when the (silver) dimes, quarters, and half dollars would be sucked from circulation in 1965. They wanted to have a good supply of coins to make up for the inevitable shortage, knowing they would not have enough of the clad coinage ready to meet demand.

It was also mentioned that the large numbers of nickels minted in 1999 was to help alleviate the shortage of Quarters during the first year of the SHQ program. Looking at the mintage figures would seem to back this up.

Anyone else ever heard of this?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2224 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2008  11:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coppernickeldaddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Numi63,
I see you are in Western KY; I am in central KY not far from Lexington. I assume that you are close to Paducah, or maybe Owensboro? You are far enough away that I don't think we will overlap search areas! Sorry; can't help you with your copper issue; not my area of expertise! What I keep track of with my nickel roll searching is anything before '59 I make a note of and keep. I'm not tracking Canada coins, but I will pull the pre-82's and if I get anything that you need you are welcome to it. Obviously, any proofs I'll keep and make a note of, and just for my own amusement I closely inspect all 2005 P and D Buffalos for doubled dies, the "spear in the back" diebreak variety, and the "floating leg" variety

GFR3,

Great Box! TWO Buffalos in one box! The best box I've done as far as quantity is concerned is 41 in a box; 46 is super! Keep it up; let's see who pulls the key dates first (they have to be out there somewhere!)

Haven't looked through my two latest boxes yet; hope to do so at work tomorrow if it a slow day!
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2008  11:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DJP7x0s to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I stopped at the bank the otherday and I asked for Half Dollars. They had $15 worth loose. Right off the bat I spotted 3 silver. A 1962 Franklin, 1964 Kennedy and a 1968D 40%. Not bad for only $15 face. Anyhow, I was hoping they had more halves than that, so I grabbed $25 in Cents. I found all sorts of odds and ends but was really surprised to end up with about half a roll of BU Full red 1952 Wheaties. They werent all together, they were spread out in a few rolls. Id average about 2 or 3 per roll, but only in the red wrappers. Oh and I found two Steel Cents in those same rolls.
Valued Member
United States
186 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2008  11:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eyeluvcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does anyone have apicture to post of the 2005P and D Buffalos with "spear in the back" or "floating leg" ? I've gotten lots of 2005P and D in this box so far...I'de love to see these pics ASAP !

Thanks,
Laura
Valued Member
United States
128 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2008  12:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numi 63 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
jbuck,

Interesting info as to the reason for the huge minting of nickels in '64. I hadn't heard that. That's the nice thing about a forum like this. We all have something to learn from each other. Pretty cool.

Well, I searched 14 rolls of nickels today. I'll never compete with you at this pace CND .

My finds? Just a scant few of old things:
1- 1958D
1- 1953S
1- 1948
1- 1941

Nothing else of any real significance. I did pull a '68D and a few '82 & '83. But that was about it.

I know they're out there just waiting to be found .......
Valued Member
United States
128 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2008  01:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numi 63 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CND,

Yes, I'm closer to Paducah than Owensboro. As a kid I lived in Somerset which is only about 1 3/4 hrs south of you. I'm still in Somerset a couple times a year to visit family. Maybe one of these days we could meet up over in that area and go metal detecting. Who knows? I've heard of some guys that made some good finds around Lake Cumberland. That area saw alot of civil war action. Some Half Cents (or better) would be nice! I know of at least one (accessable to the public) valley that actually saw battle action.

If you have oppurtunity, now would be the time to metal detect around that lake. For the next few years the lake will be at all time low water levels due to repairs on the dam. That's a hot tip to all metal detectorists by the way . I also know of some old swimming holes I will hit the next time I'm over there.

Thanks for the tips on the extra things to look out for on the nickels too CND.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5820 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2008  01:25 am  Show Profile   Check nohope587's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nohope587 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Re 82 and 83 Rolls of Nickels on eBay. I have searched completed listings and can find no circulated rolls having been sold I have 6 2x2 boxes filled with loose 82s and 8 boxes filled with loose 83s Maybe close to 1000 coins in all. Believe me if I thought I would get much over face for them they would be off to eBay but all I see are completed auctions for BU rolls. My coins Probably range from VF to AU chances of any coming from circulation being BU is minimal to sat the least. Where are these Circulated rolls selling?
Richard Barnes
(www.winsociety.org) WINS#366
eBay nohope587 ANA#1200381
Face Book https://www.facebook.com/Numismatic.Jewelry/
Valued Member
United States
473 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2008  3:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GFR3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey all....

Nohope, I'm only saving AU and better 82/83 for that exact reason....I'm not sure what a roll of AU's would go for today, but down the road I think it will be a save bet to say that they'll go be worth more than the $2 face for them.

Just finished up a box:
40 keepers
1 silver (44p total junk...took 5 mins to determine date/mintmark)
1 Buffalo (no date)
3 Canadian (87,89,99)
1 AU 1966

I got another box sitting here taunting me to be opened....I got to work tonight and don't want to start and leave the box halve done--I'd end up calling off I know it! I hope to save them for tomorrow, but just might end up doing them before going to sleep :)

--Gary
Pillar of the Community
United States
2224 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2008  7:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coppernickeldaddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Numi,
Strange you should mention metal detecting; I do that too! But, not very often; might be my lack of patience. I do have a great story related to detecting from about 20 years ago; one of these days I'll put it on the MD forum. And yes, I can imagine Lake Cumberland, with the water level being down 40 feet, is great for detecting right now!
Eyeluv,
Can't help you with photos, except there are a number of examples of the poor-man's version of the "spear in the back" selling on ebay at the moment. There are two distinct varieties of this, and they aren't really valuable as all they are are narrow die cracks from the hindquarters of the buffalo leading to the rim of the coin. They somewhat resemble spears. Although, there is a much more valuable version of this; one is for sale on ebay right now but the photo of it is very unclear. The "floating leg" that I have seen photos of that is very similar to the 1937 3-leg Buffalo nickel; extra die polishing or a filled die has detached the bottom of the inner rear leg of the buffalo from the animal.

Working on two boxes at the moment, but really tired, and I have to go to work at 2AM! The next update (the 2000 roll mark) will probably be tomorrow morning. Happy roll hunting!
Valued Member
United States
186 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2008  8:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eyeluvcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, coppernickeldaddy. I'll check it out.

Laura
Page: of 781 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.76 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05