Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Usb Microsocope

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
196 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2015  12:19 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JohnDeVito to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
There have surely bee discussions on this, but I haven't seen them. Anyone have any thoughts on USB microscopes? I am thinking they would be easier on the eyes than the magnifying glass I have been using, and I'd see better detail. Not looking to spend a ton, but get something usable.

Thoughts?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
32724 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2015  12:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Use the search box upper left of page,lots of info. Give us an idea of your budget.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
196 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2015  5:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnDeVito to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
50 - 100 dollars.

I have kids :-)
Pillar of the Community
United States
4809 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2015  7:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rackster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a fan of them. I have one; used for a couple hours and prefer my AmScope for about $140. Too much light causing glare and field of view limiting. Some here have been successful but had to clip the brightness to make it practical. Good luck on the hunt!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
32724 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2015  04:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have two usb scopes anr don't like either one. I mostly use a point-n-shoot camera and if I absolutely..positively have to I will use a scope.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
1275 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2015  01:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add techwriter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use one of these and it works fine. Did buy a Lighthouse stand from dealer friend.
http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Micr...3;microscope

Just an info post, this may or may not work for you.
Pillar of the Community
United States
650 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2015  11:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add batboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've got a Celestron 44302 Deluxe USB Microscope on order. It only cost $35. I should have it by early next week. I'll let you know how it works. Obviously, ones in this price range are sort of toys, but I've heard decent things about this model. We'll soon see I guess.
Edited by batboy
12/24/2015 11:13 am
Valued Member
United States
121 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2015  10:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Loco to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have one of the cheap $25 microscopes we found on Amazon. For what I use it for, I love it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
650 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2015  10:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add batboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Calling them "microscopes" is a bit of a stretch in my opinion. They really are web cams that can be manually focused. The lower priced ones don't have zoom lens like you might think. Magnification depends on how close you can get the lens to the object. I would recommend a bit of research on the subject if you're really thinking of buying one. They have limitations, but can be useful devices.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7204 Posts
 Posted 12/25/2015  04:40 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have the original Celestron USB microscope, I used to sell them, and got an early one after doing some prototype, pre-production testing and analysis work. I really dont like my scopes focusing knob, it's way to stiff, I believe that was fixed in the later models, while I don't use it all that much, for any high quality shooting, as I get older and my eye sight isn't as ggod as it once was, it sure is easier to see the small stuff on a big 30" monitor.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5003 Posts
 Posted 12/25/2015  09:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a USB microscope and don't like it, now that I have my Canon Rebel camera set up I use it as a microscope, on a 23" screen a cent is over 6" in size and clear then when you see some thing you can magnify that by 200 and then again by another 200.
Pillar of the Community
United States
650 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2015  2:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add batboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My new Celestron 44302 Deluxe USB Microscope was delivered today. I was not expecting too much for the price (under $40), but have been mostly pleased so far. The software was easy to install and use. I uploaded a pic to show you what to expect. My biggest gripe is the lighting. It has 6 LEDs that stay on all the time with no way to adjust the brightness. Others that use this same model put electrical tape over some of the LEDs. Others made and put diffuser filters onto the lights. The little stand that comes with the device is a bit limited. To get the whole coin in the shot, you need to set the scope onto a book to raise it up.

If I had it to do over, I should have bought the next better model, the Celestron model 44308 for less than $70. It has a better stand, 5 MP camera resolution compared to 2 MP of the one I got, and (most importantly) the light is adjustable. You can even turn it off.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4809 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2015  10:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rackster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe. From what you describe, you covered the same ground regarding using books as stands, etc. I had a less expensive USB scope and took that back to a friend of mine who sells them. He gave me the top of the line unit he had. Higher magnification, but realistically I was looking for LESS magnification (this unit gave me a broader range; lower but mostly higher mag). I tried it once and packed it away.

For the dime, it works OK. For larger (size) denominations, it's impractical for me. The picture you took actually looks good and for the price paid, might be perfect in that respect. Keep that in mind if you decide to upgrade. Best of luck to you.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19177 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2016  11:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have one and it just sits. Tried it once and just to much trouble to set up.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
650 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2016  12:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add batboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Celestron I have is no trouble to set up. Plug it into a USB port, open the software, and it's ready to go. Just need to focus it and click the capture button for a photo.

I used some pieces of black duct tape and covered every other LED light. That seems to really help lower the light intensity. Sometimes with real shiny coins, I turn off the overhead room light too. The real advantage to a USB microscope is extreme close up work.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4809 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2016  8:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rackster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Keep at it batboy. It seems to be working for you. Maybe I'll get around to give it another try. For now though, happy with the iPhone shots and the iPhone through the AmScope eye piece.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.07 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05