Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Women On Banknotes

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 849 / Views: 58,720Next Topic
Page: of 57
Valued Member
United Kingdom
134 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2021  4:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Orac to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@walk2dwater

That's a nice example of a Queen Medb 1 note. There are 67 dates for this note (1977-1989), 12,000,000 notes per date, except for a few which had lower printages. These were my favourite denomination of the Irish B Series.

[sorry, I cannot work out how to do a Quote]

Here is Lady Lavery on a 20 note, my favourite denomination of the Lavery series.
[I expect Lady Lavery has been posted already in the topic, though I doubt on a 1943 20 note].

Learn More...
United States
108260 Posts
Learn More...
United States
108260 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2021  12:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
[sorry, I cannot work out how to do a Quote]
How to Quote

If you are using the Quick Reply box...

1. Type [quote]

2. Paste the text you want to quote

3. Then type [/quote]

If you are using the Reply to Topic link...
1. Paste the text you want to quote

2. Highlight it

3. Then press the 'Insert Quote' button:

So this...

[quote]Quoted Text[/quote]

Looks like this...

Quote:
Quoted Text
Valued Member
United Kingdom
134 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2021  3:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Orac to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@jbuck
Thank you for that - I knew it would be straightforward :)
It was the insert quote button I couldn't find.
Learn More...
United States
108260 Posts
Valued Member
United Kingdom
134 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2021  4:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Orac to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hibernia features as a portrait on many Irish notes. She appears in stereo on this classic design of Bank of Ireland banknote.

Learn More...
United States
108260 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2021  4:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Hibernia features as a portrait on many Irish notes. She appears in stereo on this classic design of Bank of Ireland banknote.
Lovely example!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1570 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2021  5:30 pm  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here is Lady Lavery on a 20 note, my favourite denomination of the Lavery series.
[I expect Lady Lavery has been posted already in the topic, though I doubt on a 1943 20 note].

-that is one rare note! Can you please remind me what the circled A signifies?

Here's a much newer 10 (P-66c) from the seventies:

Valued Member
United Kingdom
134 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2021  6:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Orac to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Can you please remind me what the circled A signifies?

The letter in a circle is a special marking used on the Irish Legal Tender Notes during World War 2 to track the production of the notes from printing in England (actively being bombed by Germany at the time) to Ireland.

Every denomination in each print run was assigned a code letter. The idea was that all notes with a particular code could be cancelled if they were lost due to enemy activity.

These war code notes occur with dates in the range 1940-1944. The full story on them is here: https://www.irishpapermoney.com/iri...e-notes.html

The 20 notes are rare, and lower denominations are tough to find in better than VF grade. Irish notes tended to get used up! I have seldom seen an example of any denomination in better grade than AU. I have never seen a strict UNC.

Banknotes of Banque de Syrie et du Liban, Series 1939 printed by Bradbury Wilkinson also made use of special markings on their notes for the same reason.

Here's a first date with Lady Lavery on it.

Learn More...
United States
108260 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2021  08:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The letter in a circle is a special marking used on the Irish Legal Tender Notes during World War 2... notes with a particular code could be cancelled if they were lost due to enemy activity.
A very interesting it of history. Thank you for sharing this, and thank you both for your recent examples.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1570 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2021  1:47 pm  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
-Thanks for the explanation @Orac. I thought it had something to do with WW2 but just couldn't remember. I like that "Irish Paper Money" site too.

Quote:
The 20 notes are rare, and lower denominations are tough to find in better than VF grade. Irish notes tended to get used up! I have seldom seen an example of any denomination in better grade than AU.

-yes, I have rarely seen them in grades above VF myself. That first date 10 Shilling is in amazing condition. I've never seen such early Irish notes in such great shape until you started posting yours.

The only reason that I don't pursue the large size 20 is that my 10 is large enough & I'm afraid it will sit idle (like my white fiver) on its own, & be further ignored rather than in my personal album where I can enjoy it. I know that's a rather lame excuse but I'm sticking to it, & since my recent foray into Irish notes, a lot of other notes I've wanted are no longer in the picture. My Irish notes just keep blowing my budget. Perhaps if I win the Lotto...

Here's another Lady Lavery 5 which I picked up & posted earlier in the year:

I believe it has a replacement prefix. I am a big fan of the reverse "river god" designs too & my family emigrated from Ireland 2 centuries ago before settling in Canada.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
134 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2021  7:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Orac to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a nice 00K you have. There are a few very small runs of those in UNC, that I know of. I have seen about 10 examples in all.

Replacement prefixes for the Lavery notes are as follows: 1 S, 00A; 5, R, 00K; 10, T; 20, V.
The 20 is rare in any grade, and four UNC examples are known to me.
The R 5 note is also quite a rare note. The highest number I have seen recorded is R 147943, which is higher than the highest 00K, at 060247. Perhaps people missed the R when it came out, though it was reported ion Irish Numismatics at the time.
Irish replacement note number info here: https://www.irishpapermoney.com/iri...t-notes.html It is also in various books, not sure if SCWPM includes it.

Anyway, staying on topic, today's Lady on an Irish note is, um, Queen Victoria!

Learn More...
United States
108260 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2021  09:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Anyway, staying on topic, today's Lady on an Irish note is, um, Queen Victoria!
Nice example!
Valued Member
United Kingdom
134 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2021  09:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Orac to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actually, this note has three women on it! Queen Vic on the left, and Britannia & Hibernia in the centre.
Learn More...
United States
108260 Posts
Page: of 57 Previous TopicReplies: 849 / Views: 58,720Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.54 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: