Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Anyone Have Any Modern Errors?

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11
Valued Member
Canada
493 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2019  10:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GMS5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm calling this a foreign planchet. It's very similar to the dime that Canadian-Varieties posted back on page 2 in 2016.
This 2007 straight 7 Dime has the following stats:
Weight: 1.6 grams.
0.13mm below diameter of standard dime.
0.42mm below thickness of standard dime, it's whisper thin.
0.15g under weight of standard dime.
And it's reeded on the edge. Also magnetic.
The cool thing I think is that even though it's smaller than a standard dime, the entire impression still got onto the coin.And the outer ring on both sides has a bluish look to it like it's a different metal.

Any thoughts as to should I grade it?, worth?
Thanks in advance. Apologies for the pic's, didn't have my big camera handy last night.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
624 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2019  5:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool. .
"B'eh....B'eh....B'eh...."

In memory of those members who left us too soon...
Pillar of the Community
Canada
652 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2019  9:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnnysprawl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmm, I dont see any foreign planchets that the RCM minted that match your details on here: http://www.coinscan.com/for/foreign.html
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1276 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2019  10:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are you saying it's smaller than a dime? I would say shrunken coin than? Weird one!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7540 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2019  12:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It appears to be encased, like some sort of jewelry item, not an error coin at all.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1276 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2019  12:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you take better pictures with a normal dime beside it? What is under the boat?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9877 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2019  04:29 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For what it is worth, my vote is for "non error."

Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius

"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Valued Member
Canada
493 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2019  10:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GMS5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are some better photos of the Dime in question.
In photo 3 left side Dime is regular , right side is error Dime .
Does anyone see the outer ring has a bluish colour to it? And as you see on the thickness shot, it is reeded.

Perhaps Mr. Coop knows what kind of error this is.

Edited by GMS5
01/26/2019 10:07 pm
Valued Member
Canada
493 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2019  10:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GMS5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The closest I can come to a foreign planchet is the 2007 Barbados Ten Cent that the RCM produced, which was made from copper and nickel. Thanks to Johnnysprawl above for providing the link to check this.
The Barbados Dime had a diameter of 17.8mm, my Canadian Dime above is 17.9mm and it looks like copper under the surface. Other than that, it's for sure a thinned planchet, as it's 0.66 grams underweight compared to the Barbados Dime.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7540 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2019  10:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In your edge on photo the dime in question appears to be larger in diameter.
Can you post side by side pics and/or pics of one coin on top of the other?
Can't possibly be Barbados dime as that coin is cupro-nickel an alloy not a plating.
Abused Canadian nickelplated steel dimes can have the copper plating layer show through as on your coin.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Edited by DBM
01/26/2019 10:45 pm
Valued Member
Canada
493 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2019  11:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GMS5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi DBM, here you go. To get a shot of one on top of the other to show it is quite hard as there is almost no difference. So I have these pictures instead.

Learn More...
Canada
8536 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2019  11:40 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Something's not right... the beads are entirely missing from the reverse, and the date is too close to the edge of the "rim"...
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Valued Member
Canada
493 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2019  11:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GMS5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Even the notching on the reeded edges is different on both of the dimes.
Edited by GMS5
01/26/2019 11:48 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1491 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2019  11:40 am  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
flattened rim.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1276 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2019  2:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can't be a flattened rim the whole thing is still smaller than a normal dime in roundness.

I don't understand how that can be because the die comes in one size.
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05