Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Anyone Have Any Modern Errors?

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1440 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2019  3:29 pm  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Rim flattened in. Look close at top and bottom of rev. you an see left over denticles from smearing I think.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
715 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2019  3:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oldmike to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with nicklesguy
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1517 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2019  6:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
GMS5 do you know how to do and overlay. I suggest you should do one. you will see for yourself.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2122 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2019  7:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add darryldarryl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This coin received special assistance outside the mint ( PMD).

If a smaller foreign planchet were struck in a dime chamber the metal flow would be outward on the planchet or towards the collar.
The rim would not be pushed back towards the centre of the coin then flattened.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1183 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2019  9:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What I find intriguing is that if the coin has been flattened, it's smaller in diameter ?
Edited by Alan
01/27/2019 9:55 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17994 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2019  9:55 pm  Show Profile   Check Errers and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
GMS5, that's not a legitimate error coin. That just an altered Canadian Dime. It's Post Strike Damage ( PSD), since it happened after it left the Canadian Mint.
More information about Die Deterioration? http://goccf.com/t/317950
Retired U.S. Mint Coin Die Set information. http://goccf.com/t/302961
1988 P LMC RDV-006, 1998 P LMC Wide AM, and 2000 P LMC Wide AM. http://goccf.com/t/327834 http://goccf.com/t/294303 http://goccf.com/t/312900
1973 D Lincoln Memorial cent With Recurring Die Subsidence Error Information. http://goccf.com/t/304624
Machine Doubling tutorial. http://goccf.com/t/332421
Die states progression on coins. Scroll down, so you can see the different die state progressions. http://goccf.com/t/325638
Die Deterioration Doubling Tutorial. http://goccf.com/t/336470
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
590 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2019  09:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Time to pull the trade ticket out. PMD. 3 dimes in 1. And one of them is an old nickel dime. Here is how I would make it.

1st dime (old nickel)- hold in a shallow collet in a lathe and face the first side off to just remove all detail. Flip coin and face 2nd side to remove all detail. Bore it out to any ID you want. You have now established the thickness, and the OD you need to make your 2 inserts. The total thickness of the inserts needs to be the same or less than the ring thickness of 1st coin.

2nd and 3rd dime (plated) - Hold in same collet as 1st coin. Do not face, ...turn... the OD to match the ID of 1st coin at least more than half of the thickness of 1st coin. Repeat for 3rd coin, but be sure to use the other side of the coin. Turn as coin 2. Change collets to fit the turned OD of coin 2 and 3. Face off original dime diameter to desired thickness.(less than half the thickness of coin 1 remember). Still with me? Ha Ha.

Now you have your 3 pieces. Pressing them is tricky to keep the orientation correct. There should be a slight interference fit between parts 2 & 3 with part 1. But I have a feeling this was made size for size, and when assembled, was loose. A quick squeeze in the collet and that is why your dime is smaller in OD.

You mention the ring being a different colour. I'm pretty sure its nickel because I don't see a tell tale copper ring around the inside of the reeding if the plating had of been faced. Trust me, you would see it. This is evident with the 2 inserts. Note how the copper is visible all the way around the OD of the inserts. Plating tends to tear, not cut. This was the tattered edges getting de-burred exposing more copper plating.

The width of the "rim" is not a rim at all. The rim was lost in Op. 1 when faced. The rim width was set by the ID hole in 1st coin.

Try a drop test on your table. Does it sound "dull" or "dead" compared to a full dime?

Sorry to be so long winded, but you have a dime that is worth 30 cents (get it-3 dimes) in change, and $30.00 worth of craftsmanship.

Like I said before...Very cool.....and... I had no hand in this coin.

Keep it for sure.
"B'eh....B'eh....B'eh...."

In memory of those members who left us too soon...
Valued Member
Canada
409 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2019  10:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GMS5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WOW, Thanks for all the weighing in gents. I'm now leaning towards post mint damage. Either way it's a great conversation item, and not bad for having come out of a roll at the bank. I'll keep it in a 2x2.
As for overlays, I don't know how to do them yet, but I'll research that for future use.
Thanks all.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4267 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2019  11:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your second set of pics shows better as maybe a struck coin except for the funky rim on the reverse, might justify a XRF the lathe creation just seems too complicated for a dime error, there's very little material to start with
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
590 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2019  1:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
there's very little material to start with

True, but that's where you gotta be good. You would be surprised how little you can hold on to.

Granted a surface grinder would give you the thickness. Many different ways to manufacture this depending on the equipment available and the effort you want to put into it.

I simply think it's cool that you found it,why did the guy who made it, dump it?

Did you try the drop test? .

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1183 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2019  2:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I guess a sanded rim would account for the weight loss but it's still slightly smaller. The condition of it would imply it's seen some sort of machine
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
590 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2019  2:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
it's seen some sort of machine

Bingo.

Valued Member
Canada
409 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2019  11:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GMS5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i did a drop test last night and it sounded like a regular dime but light if that makes sense, it wasn't dead sounding at all.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
590 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2019  06:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK, how does the reverse and obverse orientation look? Like a die rotation.

Valued Member
Canada
409 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2019  11:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GMS5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is no rotation, it is aligned like a normal Canadian dime.
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05