Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

New Beta Identification Forum | Please Read  

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
18753 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2008  11:51 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Please note that we are just testing this set up for now, it may not be permanent. The Staff has some concerns about how this will work, so we're basically going to play with it for a while.

All unidentified items go here... from tokens to ancients to paper money. Once an item is identified, the title will be edited to reflect the identification, then it will be moved to the appropriate forum for further discussion.

Feel free to comment here and tell us what you think.
Learn More...
United States
6561 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2008  2:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GO to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do like the idea of grouping them together

However most of us here have our expertise in certian areas and those certain forums are where we check on unknown coins. I mainly check in the World section because I will more then likely know the coin...most of the time

Also it just seems like a lot of extra work for you guys to have to move everything around...twice sometimes
Pillar of the Community
United States
748 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2008  08:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jamez to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Its a great section, I will be watching it. Hopefully even be able to help out a bit now and then. I enjoy the search.
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2008  3:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tomb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also like the idea but...

The first thing to come to mind was: When a coin is identified and moved how will people know where to look or will it become a lost topic to some.

I will definitely be keeping and eye here.
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
18753 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2008  3:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
When a coin is identified and moved how will people know where to look or will it become a lost topic to some.

The forum will automatically send an email to the original poster when it's moved.

Accurate subscription emails will still be sent after it's moved.

As much of the original title will be left as possible, in order to leave it as recognizable as possible.

The URL doesn't change when it's moved, so all bookmarks will still work.

So to answer your question, it may require a little effort to find for people that didn't subscribe or bookmark it.
Learn More...
Australia
12696 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2008  4:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
But not too much effort, since there's normally only a few possible destinations... for "strange coins", the general World Coins forum, the Ancients forum, and the Exonumia forum are the most likely.

Even after they've been identified, threads will often stay here for a day or so before they get moved, just in case anyone wishes to clarify, correct or challenge an identification.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Learn More...
United States
6561 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2008  9:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GO to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We normally try to do that if at all possible. Depends on the coins really.
Learn More...
Australia
12696 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2008  04:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, we do encourage everyone to post separate threads for each unknown item, if they can. Not only does it make it easier to determine which ones have been identified and which haven't but if you post a mixture of coins, tokens, ancients, etc. in one thread, then we have no idea where to move the thread when all the coins are sufficiently IDed.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
United States
3242 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2008  09:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add amac44 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
sounds good I hope it works!
Belgium
1 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2009  08:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add terroir to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am new from belgium I have a small coin who needs futher determination
i cnnot put a picture here
Leo Daman van Hove

Valued Member
United States
284 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2009  09:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add christian_cyclist to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So will the "World Coin and Commemorative Forum" description change from "unsure of what type/country" to "sure of what type/country"?

-- Boris
Pillar of the Community
United States
1523 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2010  4:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Halfwitty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I scan a coin to display for help in identification it tells me it is too big so how can this be done anyway?
Valued Member
Canada
75 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2011  2:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add flipcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
well you have to try other stuff out see how good it works .
Pillar of the Community
United States
1729 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2011  7:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pls to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am new from belgium I have a small coin who needs futher determination
i cnnot put a picture here
Leo Daman van Hove

Leo, if you'll look to the left, you'll see a hot link to "Uploading Photos" under a red bar entitled "Tutorials". Read it first, follow the steps (try to keep your coin pix sizes to a reasonable width), and then upload. BTW when I scan a coin on my $10 scanner, I set the scan size to 2x2 for best results.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1729 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2011  7:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pls to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
When I scan a coin to display for help in identification it tells me it is too big so how can this be done anyway?

Halfwitty, even my $10 Epson scanner gives me various settings to use, and as I indicated to Leo, the 2x2 setting works best for coins. I do have to use the "expert" tab, which simply gives me more choices, but once you find a setting that works for you, scanning coins will become almost automatic for you. (I've also had excellent luck with Photobucket as the site to save pix on for "transporting" here).
Pillar of the Community
United States
1729 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2011  7:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pls to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe a new icon to the left of unID'ed coins (like ?) and something like a √ after they've been ID'ed would help, whether they were moved or left in the same thread. A "?" next to a multiple-coin posting would let us know that one or more coins were still unID'ed, at least.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05