Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ionia, Ephesos Bee with straight wings  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2315 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2016  2:35 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add DavidUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I just ordered a Ionia, Ephesos coin... as some of you know the last one (a silver one) turned out to be of questionable authenticity.

This one is a cheapie, basically a hole filler for a type that I feel I should have. On more than one occasion I have put a silver tetradrachm with bee and stag in my cart but I can't bring myself to pull the trigger (it isn't a cheap coin)

So it isn't so impressive but it still shows the rudiments of the design and in truth I need a few more AE Greek coins... the vast majority being silver at the moment.

In case you are interested this is the tet that I keep going back to look at...

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4620 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2016  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe it won't pop like the silver tet, but yours is still pretty nice!
"It certainly strikes the beholder with astonishment, to perceive what vast difficulties can be overcome by the pigmy arms of little mortal man, aided by science and directed by superior skill." --Henry VIII
Learn More...
United States
20370 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2016  3:17 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really nice detail for such a small coin. Nice addition to your collection.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2315 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2016  5:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DavidUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seems I did the right thing then... 4 are in the post at present though, and I hope that post man hurries up!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2865 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2016  10:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice pick up, David - and certainly authentic this time around! Congrats.

Maybe someday the tet?
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2315 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2016  12:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DavidUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe someday the tet, in truth if I am spending that kind of money I think I would want to add a new style Athens.

Its been a very expensive month for me... not coins but a vintage gold watch and the Rolls Royce of clocks. When good deals/unusual items come up sometimes you have to take them knowing you won't see another for many years...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3953 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2016  10:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are these coins fairly valuable? I have gotten several from unidentified lots, but always wrote them off as common. Mine are pretty low grade tiny bronzes, but I have one bee / forepart of stag (extremely rough), bee / full stag reclining, and Artemis / stags flanking torch. I may have to look into flipping them sometime.
Selling authentic Roman denarii, starting @$8:
http://goccf.com/t/299965
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2315 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2016  10:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DavidUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In bronze not terribly valuable judging by mine (£33) but the silver ones command decent prices.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2315 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2016  05:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DavidUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I received the coin (took a while since it was from the states) and what they actually sent me was an off centre bee where the devices are not as clear.

This coin shows as sold and the coin they sent me is showing as for sale... clearly a mistake. They are both the same price but I don't consider the one I got to be as good. So again I have another problem with an order from Vcoins.

I am sure they will sort the issue out, but I am getting tired how many problems I have had recently. After the fake coin last year and 2 orders being canceled and one being lost in the post I was hoping my luck would be better this year.

I am sure that you would all agree this is not a patch on the coin I selected and it is worth while going through the hassle of getting it changed.
Edited by DavidUK
04/02/2016 05:52 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2865 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2016  07:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, yet another problem. Sorry you've had to deal with this kind of thing, David. Definitely worth going through the hassle of straightening out the order, though. I agree the coin you ordered has more eye appeal than the one received.

Are all of these issues (problems) with the same dealer? Or several different dealers?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4620 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2016  07:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am sure that you would all agree this is not a patch on the coin I selected and it is worth while going through the hassle of getting it changed.

"It certainly strikes the beholder with astonishment, to perceive what vast difficulties can be overcome by the pigmy arms of little mortal man, aided by science and directed by superior skill." --Henry VIII
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2315 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2016  08:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DavidUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My general rule is if I have a problem I will give the seller a second chance if they make things right. If I am not happy with how they handle things I will not return to them.

One dealer I had a problem with which wasn't dealt with properly seems to be struck off.

The other problems were all seperate dealers. Overwhealmingly I have done most transactions with Gitbud Nuaemann now called Nuemann Numismatics and yet to have a single hiccup with them.

I have 3 times had to contact vcoins support on an issue and each time I have been satisfied that they are on top of the dealers making sure a satisfactory resolution is reached in any despute.
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
823 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2016  08:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add antwerpen2306 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
there is something wrong with this dealer as both are the same price .I hope for you it will resolved as soon as posseble and that they send you the first coin .albert
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3953 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2016  08:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ouch, sorry that haopened to you again!

I agree this is the inferior coin. You can't even see the E-Ph!
Selling authentic Roman denarii, starting @$8:
http://goccf.com/t/299965
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05