Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canadian Cheque Chat

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1118 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2016  9:48 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Harmonica to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This thread was created originally to bring attention to a group lot of cheques for sale on ebay. Since then it morphed into a general cheque discussion thread.

The Americans have a cheque thread in their paper money forum
http://goccf.com/t/178681
so this can be ours.

Please post cheque pictures, cheque infomation or cheque questions here.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/425-checks-b...381012255192

If I didn't just make a big(ish) purchase I would try to get them for CAD350. At less then a dollar each I figured I would bring it to everyones' attention.

If someone does buy it from C.C.F. for wholesale you would most likely have a buyer in me for one (or two) of the Bulovas.
Edited by Harmonica
03/24/2016 10:58 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1118 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2016  10:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Harmonica to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Maine-Canada...AOSwFNZWxml9

More cheques at under a buck a pop! This lot has some from Portland, Maine in there. Man, my coin club meets at the New Brunswick/Maine border. If I didn't just put another half grand into my vending machine business I would be all over both these lots. I know one cheque collector on this site has roots in Halifax. 100 cheques from Halifax, wowser.

On a side note if you are ever in Portland, Maine check (pun intended) out their cryptozoology museum.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4196 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2016  10:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chequer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Bulovas are the only ones that interest me in the first lot and I'd like to have a look at the Halifax cheques in the second, but it's all pretty common stuff.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1118 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2016  10:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Harmonica to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I suppose living where I live everything amazes me. I couldn't even get a roll of the wait for me daddy toonies in Hartland...
Can you actually get cheques for less that $1 in the loyalist city? I really have to get up to one of your coin shows.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4196 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2016  10:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chequer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Loyalist Coins and Books has some cheques and many are 50 cents. When there are bunches of similar cheques, especially with the second example you posted, they can be obtained pretty cheap because it will take a long time for the seller to move pieces from that era individually. It's like any other collectable really, they may have a "value" of say, two dollars, but there just isn't a whole lot of demand at that price.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4196 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2016  10:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chequer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If more people started collecting cheques, then that would obviously be a good thing for values. Cheques are confusing for most though, especially without something like a Charlton to guide them, so that's not likely going to happen anytime soon.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4196 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2016  10:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chequer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And, don't get me wrong, they're good looking cheques and not priced crazily, I just wouldn't pay that much myself.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1118 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2016  10:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Harmonica to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Being right in Saint John how common are Red Rose Tea (Brooke Bond?) cheques?
I bought one at the first coin show I ever went to and the dealer charges way to much on everything (hind sight is 20-20). If you could pick them up for 50 cents I would buy 10 of them.

You should start a Canadian version of the cheque thread they have in the American section. I bet you have some really cool stuff.

Actually since we are talking about cheques where do you buy your mylar holders for them? Paul had some for sale at the Florencville show but none were big enough for them. Tom sold me some in what looks like a sliced dollarama binder page sheet protector ma-jigger but I want something better for the 15ish cheques I have unprotected.

I may just buy some in bulk from the collector warehouse.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4196 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2016  10:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chequer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mylar for cheques is not easy to find, especially in Canada. I used to get mine from a US source, but I heard from a collector/dealer in Moncton that they may be closing shop.

I used to see the Red Rose cheques everywhere (shows, stores, etc) 10+ years ago (and cheap), but didn't bother with more than a couple. Now that I'm in NB, since they're local, they command a premium ($5 approx.) and I don't see many of them.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1118 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2016  10:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Harmonica to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ABoult the Charleton catalogue, I don't think that would be possible.

Things like revenue stamps, signatures, year etc. all come in to play, waaay to many variables.

I want a Maritime Bank of the Dominion of Canada cheque from ever branch written in every year with all the different agent sigs, Heck I have one issued to Boston that I never knew existed until a year ago.

I would also pay more for a McCain signature, even an Allan Legere sig would interest me.
I also prefer my stamps to have a stamped cancel so I know they were not affixed yesterday.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4196 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2016  10:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chequer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found a nice Irving signature a couple years ago on eBay ... I'll have to scan that.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1118 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2016  10:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Harmonica to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ya I paid $20 years ago for my Red Rose. Ugh, live and learn.

I am also looking for cheques for King Cole Tea and Union Blend tea (scarce if non-existent).
A stamp show is coming up in Fredericton sometime in April. I will have to scoot down and go cheque/stock hunting.

I think I should just renames this "Canadian Cheque Chat" at this point since we are off on a tangent.

I have little side thing going on actually. Next Sussex Flea Market I want to pick up some Ginger Ale/ Ginger Beer bottles from all the old New Brunswick bottling companies then find company cheques to match them.

Have you seen any such cheques?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1118 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2016  10:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Harmonica to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
K.C. Irving or a descendant? Either way super cool!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4196 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2016  11:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chequer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
KC's dad, JD.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1118 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2016  11:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Harmonica to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is cool. I am going to finish up my cup of tea and probably drift off in the next 20 minutes or so. Tomorrow I will try to get some of the high lights of my collection organized and get some pictures up in this wall of text.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1118 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2016  12:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Harmonica to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So today (now yesterday) is (was) a holiday. I could not get to the library.

I imagine you have one of these chequer, a cheque from the Bank of New Brunswick with "John W. Nicholson" on the side?

I have one stamped Nov. 28th 1883 and I think I may know who he is.

Canadian Deaths 1878-1886
Abstracted from The Dominion Annual Register and Review

http://www.genealogysearch.org/cana...unswick.html

Quote:
NICHOLSON, John W. - Merchant - Born January 12, 1828 at Kenmare, Kerry, Ireland - Died December 31, 1883 in St. John, New Brunswick - He arrived in St. John in 1845. - (Obit. 83).

He was a merchant, hence the expensive cheque to an esg. He was also alive when the cheque was written (a good sign).
If he came to Saint John in 1845 and was born 1828 could this be him? (Age has a margin of error given the pre computer days)

http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.c...08129377.jpg

Quote:
Census Year: 1881
Item Number: 4763239
Surname: NICHOLSON
Given Name(s): John W.
Province: New Brunswick
District Name: Saint John (City)
Sub-District Name: Duke Ward

Given that he is Irish and Canadian I looked him up in the book "The Irishman in Canada" by Nicholas Flood Davin

https://archive.org/stream/irishman...162/mode/2up

Page 162 says

Quote:
John W. Nicholson, from the county Down, the large ship owner and general commission merchant, is one of St. John's wealthiest and most solid man.

He also lived in Saint John during the great fire of 1877. I came across this picture on the New Brunsick Museum website.

http://website.nbm-mnb.ca/CAIN/disp...79-127-7.jpg

Quote:
George F. Simonson
stereograph: View of the Ruins after the Great Fire, Home of John W. Nicholson, Corner of Mecklenburg and Sydney - 1877
albumen print mounted on card
8.7 x 17.2 cm
Gift of Douglas B. Peters, 1979 (1979.127.7)
New Brunswick Museum
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05