Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Full Roll Of 50 - 1858 Large Cents

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 61 / Views: 10,405Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1909 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2016  9:57 pm Show Profile   Check gidjit's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add gidjit to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I had a goal to own a roll of 1858 large cents, so the last couple of years I have been hanging on to all the 1858 cents I came across. and I finally am able to make a roll although the store didnt have any large cent rollers/coin tubes so I was not able to roll them.
but for me I like the way it looks maybe I will make another roll now .
were large cents rolled in lots of 50? or was it 25?
anyway I should get them back in a book now because if something were to happen to me I would hate to see my wife take this roll to the bank

please check out my collection of large cents from 1858 - 1920 (click link below, you DO NOT need a facebook account to view)
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...l=4b87156114
also you can see my collection of 1859 die pairs here
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...47995&type=3
Pillar of the Community
United States
717 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2016  10:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gymcoachdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK, I am impressed!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4227 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2016  10:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chequer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, that's quite a collection of '58s! Definitely impressive.
Learn More...
Canada
10212 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2016  10:27 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Learn More...
United States
39174 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2016  11:28 pm  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
so the last couple of years I have been hanging on to all the 1858 cents I came across.

How do you just "come across" 1858 cents, so that you can "hang on" to them?
Show your support of the Coin Community Family (click here)
See what CCF members have for sale (click here)
Pillar of the Community
Canada
814 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2016  11:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Solidifier to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with the above poster, I rarely come across 58's.....they are hard to find
Pillar of the Community
United States
8250 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2016  11:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Amazing! They do look great
How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Download and read: Grading the graders
Costly TPG ineptitude and No FG Kennedy halves
https://ln5.sync.com/dl/7ca91bdd0/w...i3b-rbj9fir2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8855 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2016  12:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats gidjit!
An awesome sight.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1442 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2016  01:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add canadian-varieties to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well done, sir...well done

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8855 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2016  02:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
were large cents rolled in lots of 50? or was it 25?
Standardized rolls of coins did not exist in 1858.
At best they may have been shipped by banks in "tubes" of 100, like some US coins of the era, or quantities as required.
People of the time would not have accepted rolled coins. Customers and business people would not leave the bank without checking to make sure each and every coin was "good coin", they had little tolerance for underweight, well worn coins were only grudgingly accepted. Scales were prominent features in the banks.
Governments and economies were tenuous, it was important that your coins were of full weight because that is what gave them a lasting value.
These Provincial cents were not popular. They weighed about half as much as halfpenny tokens which circulated at about the same value. They even weighed less than the then contemporary US small cents.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4530 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2016  06:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have rolls of large cents, but certainly not rolls of 1858! This blows my efforts out of the water.
DBM, thanks for your insights into the practices of 1858. This is a subject worth investigating further.

I am wondering then, if a business then wanted 1000 cents, it would have been an effort to get them.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2286 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2016  09:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add darryldarryl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice gidjit!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4836 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2016  09:45 am  Show Profile   Check thedollarman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add thedollarman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very impressive! Congratulations
feel free to call me Will. I'm a 22 year old collector/dealer from the Greater Toronto area

my PMs are always open, whether you have a question or simply wish to talk!
Valued Member
United States
127 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2016  11:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NH collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oriole, Large cents and Half Cents were shipped in bags or kegs. Anyone could order a keg of large cents, and some did. Banks never rolled their over the counter stuff until about 1860.
Valued Member
United States
302 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2016  11:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JHax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1858s are scarce, but the mintage was not exactly small (ca. 1.5 million). In a hoard of hundreds of Victorian cents I examined in the 1970s there were over 50 of them. They're certainly around to be had, both at bourse tables and on eBay. eBay often has ten or more at any given time. However, many of the 1858s on eBay are Buy It Now and tend not to be very reasonably priced.

My guess is gidjit's were mostly not purchased by paying top dollar, and that's much harder to do than just throwing money at them.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2845 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2016  11:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wildflowerAB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gidjit that's an extraordinary accomplishment! You might be very interested in picking up a copy of Dr Haxby's book - Striking Impressions. The first portion of the book extensively outlines various pre-RCM coinage and currency used in Canada, a very fascinating read which puts context into what you've collected.
Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 61 / Views: 10,405Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.57 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: