Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

$100 Gold Striking Error - Where Does Mike Byers Find This Stuff?

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Learn More...
Canada
8930 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2016  02:15 am Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A whopper! How on earth did this one escape?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-Canada...272191129793

"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Learn More...
Canada
8930 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2016  02:21 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Something was going on in 1985...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-Canada...272038994856

"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3304 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2016  07:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fascinating for sure, but I would certainly not pay over 100 times its value for such an error.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1627 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2016  07:24 am  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
back door job no more no less
Learn More...
Canada
8930 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2016  07:34 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The uniface strike is beautiful though... almost like a pattern strike of Victorian times...

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
United States
1794 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2016  07:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Broken-Coin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since first viewing Mike Byers UNIQUE Errors about 15 years ago, I have always been curious who his Contacts are (and how most of these errors escaped the Mint)..
Pillar of the Community
United States
4244 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2016  08:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
(and how most of these errors escaped the Mint)..

They got a bit of help. If I remember correctly, the RCM had a problem with this in the seventies and eighties.
Learn More...
United States
24982 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2016  08:45 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mike Byers just uses eBay to advertise his error coins, not really sell them. Price them HIGH, then state:

"We sometimes accept offers on items that are less than the listed price. This depends on the value of the item, the length of time the item has been in our inventory and whether it is a duplicate or a unique piece. If you are serious about purchasing an item and would like to make an offer, please contact us."

The eBay fee plus PayPal fee on a $100,000 sale would be quite high. This gold coin error listing has no "make offer" feature, so one can guess what happens when someone contacts them. I notice they have only one item sold (apparently for the last YEAR), but lots of listings.
Learn More...
United States
24982 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2016  08:59 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The seller has a PROOF Jefferson nickel obverse only (uniface) struck on an Eisenhower planchet. States it was a "die trial", but only recently "discovered".
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
7096 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2016  09:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add trout1105 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
7096 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2016  09:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add trout1105 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With the volume of these "Rarities" this seller lists it seems pretty Dodgy .
To me it looks like this seller has set himself up as a "Fence" for unscrupulous Mint employees to sell their illegal mint sport .
It is a wonder the authorities haven't looked into this yet.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4479 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2016  09:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At the recent Halifax RCNA, was chatting with the famous BC error dealer collector and mentions to me he has purchased a full set of nickel dollar double strikes and flip strikes that were precision made from a US person, as I waited found out he was outbid by Canadian Coin, boy was he angry, not quite the right term. A few weeks latter went to CCC and asked to see the coins, turns out they were just sold to a US dealer for over six figures, one can sort of guess who the US dealer is, as for these two coins, the RCM seems to not take kindly to precious metal errors and might try to retrieve these coins as there is little chance these coins could have made it through the regular distribution system, but they are cool like the Manitoba gold dollar coin, just not a 100,000 US cool.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2016  3:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just a mint employ making a little EXTRA money
Learn More...
Canada
8930 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2016  5:27 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
To me it looks like this seller has set himself up as a "Fence" for unscrupulous Mint employees to sell their illegal mint sport .

I would think that is insulting to Mike Byers, and other established major error dealers. Fred Weinberg, Jon Sullivan and other error experts/dealers also attract some very impressive errors.

When you establish yourself as a major error dealer in the US, or become an expert in this aspect of the hobby (and consult to NGC and PCGS), this stuff naturally gravitates to you... Most coin dealers really have no clue on the legitimacy of errors, or what they are.

There are not error collectors with pockets deep enough in Canada to acquire these sort of errors - that is why they are in the US (also avoiding seizure by the RCM might be another factor). In Canada, it is orders of magnitude less. I only do two shows (Nuphilex in Montreal and Coin Expo in Toronto), but most dealers now stockpile and bring their errors to me at these shows, because they know I can help them identify their oddities and find homes for them... that certainly does not make me a "fence"... regardless if said coins were real errors to escape, or had a 'helping hand' to escape from the mint.

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3234 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2016  5:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DEVLEC to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Keeping a lighter side here....

Quote:

You would not believe what I've acquired while doing "dumpster diving" at the rear recycle bin at the back of the mint...
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2178 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2016  10:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add darryldarryl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would think that is insulting to Mike Byers, and other established major error dealers. Fred Weinberg, Jon Sullivan and other error experts/dealers also attract some very impressive errors.

When you establish yourself as a major error dealer in the US, or become an expert in this aspect of the hobby (and consult to NGC and PCGS), this stuff naturally gravitates to you... Most coin dealers really have no clue on the legitimacy of errors, or what they are.

There are not error collectors with pockets deep enough in Canada to acquire these sort of errors - that is why they are in the US (also avoiding seizure by the RCM might be another factor). In Canada, it is orders of magnitude less. I only do two shows (Nuphilex in Montreal and Coin Expo in Toronto), but most dealers now stockpile and bring their errors to me at these shows, because they know I can help them identify their oddities and find homes for them... that certainly does not make me a "fence"... regardless if said coins were real errors to escape, or had a 'helping hand' to escape from the mint.

Have to agree with SPP on this one.

Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05