Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hr 5168 - Require The Secretary Of The Treasury To Mint Coins In Recognition Of Christa Mcauliffe

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16069 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2019  12:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree; honor the whole crew.
It smacks of feminism otherwise.
Pillar of the Community
United States
900 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2019  07:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CollegeBarbers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
IMHO this is unclear. The Senate version has the coin in 2021 and the House version has it in 2020.

Since the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame coin is currently the only commemorative dollar in 2020, this coin could easily come out of conference committee as a 2020 coin as well.

While it's certainly possible that the Christa McAuliffe commemorative could be in 2020, there is also the 2020 Women's Suffrage Centennial commemorative program that passed the Senate and is sitting in the House. It seems more likely that both bills will pass with their original Senate dates intact (Women's Suffrage in 2020, Christa McAuliffe in 2021).
Learn More...
United States
79134 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2019  09:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have to admit I dislike this one. It's nothing against Christa as she is certainly worthy, but there were other remembers of that crew whose lives all meant just as much as hers. I don't have a problem with an individual coin per person, but if they are going to do that they need to have one for all of them otherwise it should just stick to honoring the crew as a whole given the nature of what happened
I would probably prefer to see a "Challenger 7" commemorative. Or pair of coins for both Challenger and Columbia. Just something to think about.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1120 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2019  09:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...there is also the 2020 Women's Suffrage Centennial commemorative program that passed the Senate...

Yes, this is why the Senate version of the McAuliffe coin has to be 2021. They had already passed the limit of 2 commemorative dollars for 2020.

The House hasn't acted on the Women's Suffrage coin and it remains to be seen if they will. If they do, then it seems the Suffrage coin will be the 2nd 2020 commemorative dollar and the McAuliffe coin will need to be reconciled to 2021 in conference committee. If the House doesn't take up the Suffrage coin, then the McAuliffe coin will most likely be in 2020.

In all likelihood, both of these coins will end up being law. It's just unclear at this point which one be in 2020 and which one will be 2021.
Edited by BadDog
07/15/2019 09:52 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1514 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2019  10:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Back in 2006 / 2007, I lobbied for a 25th anniversary commemorative honoring the Challenger crew. After multiple contacts with my U.S. Senator (Elizabeth Dole) I was told that it was a no-go. I suppose Ms. Dole was focused on a re-election bid at the time, in which she unfortunately came up short.

I personally believe it's past time to honor the fallen astronauts of the U.S. Space program - all of them.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6139 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2019  12:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh...100% for the coin for JUST Christie. She WAS the only one on the shuttle at the time right?

Sad. Very sad.
I remember the day it happend and where I was - the top of the steps in my dorm coming back to my dorm room from class. Some passed me and asked if I had heard the Space SHuttle had just blown up. I immediately asked God for grace for the families.

Christa McAuliffe, Gregory Jarvis, Judith Resnik, Mission Commander Dick Scobee, astronaut Ronald McNair, pilot Mike Smith, and astronaut Ellison Onizuka ALL deserve to be recognized ewually for their sacrifice to further knowledge for all of us to benefit from.

Can you imagine being one of (let's say) Ellison Onizuka's children (if he has any!) and seeing ONLY Chrusta McAuliffe on the coin? What a terrible slap in the face.

- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Learn More...
United States
79134 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2019  3:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I personally believe it's past time to honor the fallen astronauts of the U.S. Space program - all of them.

Quote:
I remember the day it happend and where I was - the top of the steps in my dorm coming back to my dorm room from class...
I just got a chill, not sure why, but you and were just a few miles apart when it happened.

Quote:
Christa McAuliffe, Gregory Jarvis, Judith Resnik, Mission Commander Dick Scobee, astronaut Ronald McNair, pilot Mike Smith, and astronaut Ellison Onizuka ALL deserve to be recognized ewually for their sacrifice to further knowledge for all of us to benefit from.

The crew of the space shuttle Challenger honored us by the manner in which they lived their lives. We will never forget them, nor the last time we saw them, this morning, as they prepared for their journey and waved goodbye and "slipped the surly bonds of earth" to "touch the face of God." - R. Reagan
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12762 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2019  6:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I would probably prefer to see a "Challenger 7" commemorative. Or pair of coins for both Challenger and Columbia. Just something to think about.

They should definitely do something for all of them or a coin per crew or something along those lines. I have no problem with any of that, but it rubs me the wrong way to single one out and forget the others.
Fire A.J. Preller
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10142 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2019  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I remember the day it happend and where I was...

Many of us do, I'm sure. I was in 8th grade in shop class watching on a big tube TV that they'd rolled in for the launch.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1514 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2019  8:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was sitting in a ChemE class my senior year at NCSU. A girl came in crying and whispered to the professor. He told us what had happened and we all went to the student lounge to watch TV coverage.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10142 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2019  10:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just think how archaic both of the two most recent posts sound:

"Watching on a big tube TV" and "went to the student lounge to watch TV coverage" in 1986 would be "streaming on laptop or tablet" now.

"Whispered to the professor; he told us what happened" in 1986 would be "heard about it 3 seconds after it happened on [social media platform of choice] and watched 10 videos on 10 news outlets" today.

And yes, I'm dating myself....
Learn More...
United States
79134 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  4:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
And yes, I'm dating myself....
I was only three grades ahead of you.
Learn More...
United States
79134 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1434 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2019  07:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kena to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I still remember the day that the Challenger shuttle explosion. I was in college and living with my grandmother in Plantation, Florida. I was outside cutting the lawn and knew what direction to look since we could see the shuttle launches, especially the smoke trails. I didn't think they would go ahead with the launch since it is very cold overnight. When I saw the strange smoke trails, I stopped the lawn mower and went into the house to tell my grandmother to put on CNN and we heard the news that shuttle had blown up.

As with others, they should honour the whole crew, not just her. Not really impressed in the proposed design, so it is a release that I will most likely will skip in getting.

Also there are other astronauts who died on missions as well, who should be honoured.
CCF member Member Since: 07/27/2008
United States
45 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2019  12:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Roger Engelken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seven people died on that mission. This coin smacks of political correctness. Fortunately, with the exception of the Apollo 11 program, I skip these coins. I do remember that day very well, and all who were on that mission should be equally honored. Pass.
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.03 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05