Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Harriet Tubman Will Replace Andrew Jackson From The Face Of The $20

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6
Learn More...
United States
77458 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2016  3:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It looked like every news outlet Googled Tubman's image and then photo-shopped the grainy illustration onto a standard image of a twenty-dollar bill.
"Script kiddie" interns plus Photoshop equals graphics fail.

Quote:
Of course collectors know that the messy thrown-together illustrations, which accompanied most of the news stories, will not remotely resemble the final engraved design.
Agreed.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41508 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2016  5:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nss - I think many people resent this decision as a stark political appeasement to noisy self-interest groups, and I would agree. Lew was set to slap Susan B. Anthony's mug on the $10 before the Hamilton blowback and a subsequent blindside from the Tubman troops. Pure politics and nothing to do with substance. I find that appalling.
Pillar of the Community
United States
579 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2016  5:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cashhound to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... Pure politics ...
Valued Member
United States
339 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2016  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SpaceMaNy0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Shhh! Don't say how cool the $50s look, they'll change those too!
With all these Barbers around, you'd think I'd have shorter hair.
Valued Member
United States
339 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2016  6:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SpaceMaNy0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's what I get for bad phone service.
With all these Barbers around, you'd think I'd have shorter hair.
Edited by SpaceMaNy0
04/22/2016 6:16 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
6093 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2016  6:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Bryon - spot on! I was thinking exactly the same thing on all counts except I was not creative about coming up with the idea of a scene with Harriet Tubman on the back - that would have been great.

And b/c I want to make sure no one is offended. I will make a generalized statement. The thing that really gets to me about all of this change is not the 20.00 One of the new bill is slated to include the face of a communist on the reverse. This person's legacy ended up making a lot of progress for a lot of people in the right away (and I am thankful for that).

Nonetheless, and by definition, political communism is 100% against personal freedoms that have defined America and given us what we enjoy (eve to the extent of being able to speak freely on CCF). To me the inclusion of a communist/marxist on our money is a slap in the face to the true American, patriotic mindset. The amount of innocents slain by communists throughout history should sicken the heart of all American's - and someone who espoused that mindset certainly should have no representation on our money.

Quote:
I shake my head as some people were commenting that they were glad that he was being taken off since he "killed a bunch of Indians and that he owned slaves"... Well if he wouldn't have done it, then someone else would have then, it was inevitable that it was going to happen... Jackson actually adopted one of the Indian children that was not killed in the slaughter and Jackson actually thought by moving them, he would save them from annihilation which would have been likely... Also many of our Founding Fathers owned slaves and I don't see them being removed from our money..

WE were NOT in those cultures. We do not understand how people in those cultures could actually be moral, upright, laudable individuals b/c we were not there. Its our modern arrogance that thinks we have all the answers of what SHOULD have been done. The America that made sure Hitler did not take over the world, fed/feeds most of the world, and gives more aid to other countries than any other nation ever has, was built upon the shoulders of the very people modern PC is re-programming youth (specifically) to think were evil. Count the number of US soldiers laid to rest on foreign soil - and yet we asked nothing in return. This was the fruit of these men the PC crowd wants us to hate.

No, these people from 100 years ago were not evil. As with all cultures, those people from back then had some major problems, ideas, and made horrendous errors. But the same is going on today and will lead a to a new group of people wagging their heads at our modern culture as if they are the know-it-alls.

But the way things are going, I surely don't see our present culture producing positive fruits like the old-timers' culture did (despite their errors) did. History agrees.
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Edited by Earle42
04/22/2016 6:19 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1063 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2016  8:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bryan78 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't want to sound argumentative, but some of our current notes are absolute stunners.
Have you taken a good look at our current $50 ? The front has one of the best depictions of President Grant that you will see on any paper currency large or small, and the colors are like a rainbow note of old. The back has a beautiful engraving of the U.S.Capitol Building in all it's glory. I bet if you were able to show this note to people back in the early 20th century, they would have been impressed.

I would have to agree that the $50 bill is probably the nicest note we have today...
Pillar of the Community
United States
1063 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2016  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bryan78 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ Earle42... Thanks!

I'm a history buff and like to read about history and watch the History Channel quite often...
Learn More...
United States
77458 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2016  11:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
One of the new bill is slated to include the face of a communist on the reverse.
WRONG!

King was not a Communist. Read the "Allegations of Communism" section here.

Quote:
... by 1976 the FBI had acknowledged that it had not obtained any evidence that King himself or the SCLC were actually involved with any communist organizations.

Now, that is all that will be said about this. I only mention it because it was easier to address the misinformation than to remove it.
Learn More...
United States
77458 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2016  2:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Hover Text:

"I get that there are security reasons for the schedule, but this is like the ONE problem we have where the right answer is both easy and straightforward. If we can#39;t figure it out, maybe we should just give up and just replace all the portraits on the bills with that weird pyramid eye thing."

http://xkcd.com/1672/
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41508 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2016  4:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just great.
Learn More...
United States
77458 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2016  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love the "Are we mad at Hamilton?" bit.

Yes. Yes I am!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41508 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2016  6:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Guess you mean "mad" at Hamilton, but it's a great line for sure. Wonderful send-up of this whole farce.

Learn More...
United States
77458 Posts
Valued Member
United States
370 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2016  3:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jack316 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm fine with the choice of Harriet Tubman. She's a great example of the courage and self-sacrifice that women, throughout our history, have contributed. I don't view Tubman as the focus of this change. Rather, I see her as representative of the important part women have contributed to make America the greatest nation on earth. I think that the contributions that women have made are long overdue for recognition. I would also add that comments about her physical attributes seem petty and childish.

I'm not happy that Jackson is being removed. I think there are many options that wouldn't require removing him from the bill. Jackson served our country with honor and PC can't re-write his history. Jack
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.26 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05