Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Harriet Tubman Will Replace Andrew Jackson From The Face Of The $20

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6
Valued Member
United States
370 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2016  5:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jack316 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What's not to love about a giant silver coin that was retired much too soon.

As previously mentioned, we're not going to agree on everything, but when it comes to collecting the coins that make us smile, we are kindred. Jack

Coinfrog - Make your own dust up (lol).
Learn More...
United States
84320 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
531 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2016  8:34 pm  Show Profile   Check captainrich's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add captainrich to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
TRUE STORY:

My 16-year-old came home from school today and said her history teacher asked the class if anyone knew who Harry Truman was.
One student raised their hand and answered: "Isn't that who is going to be on the new 20 dollar bill?"

Valued Member
United States
370 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2016  9:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jack316 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Captain C - I shared your post with my with and we both just HOWLED ! It reminds me of the old Art Linkletter TV show called "Kids Say the Darndest Things." Man, I am REALLY dating myself ! Anyway, it was a very clever show and was also the basis for several books by Linkletter as well. Jack
Pillar of the Community
United States
6224 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2016  2:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
PC can't re-write his history.

It already has, and continues to do so. But not just his - everyone's. The problem is the past few generations have already been taught history that PC dictates (important word).

History is filled with actual, day to day, moment by moment events. The thing about this is that the more a person digs, the more they can make anything they want of it, repeat it often enough, and people believe it.

Modern things like the internet have helped clarify a lot where you can access actual documents of history, but other sources are tainting information since the public is invited to be the authors. No one has the time to check into everything, so the gradual process starts again, just like it did in the mass media.

- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Prosp long and liver.
Valued Member
United States
370 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2016  4:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jack316 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You're (sadly) 100% RIGHT, Lee. Even worse, it appears that many (maybe a majority), think because they read something on the internet, it must be true. Reality suggests that the exact opposite is more likely to be "the truth." Jack
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46311 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2016  5:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The truth is no match for the big lie, especially in this age.
Valued Member
Germany
447 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2019  09:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add redlock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
According to numerous press reports the ''Tubman Twenty'' will be delayed until 2026/2028.
I don't want to be too political. But this decision by Mnuchin, the Trump administration resp., does not surprise me. In fact, I am surprised that Mnuchin didn't cancel it all together.
Edited by redlock
05/23/2019 09:06 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2584 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2019  11:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The current President deeply admirers Andrew Jackson, and it was suggested that instead of Tubman replacing Jackson on the $20 note, to have Tubman replace Jefferson on the $2. Given the absence of $2 notes IRL, to the general public, it would be like it never happened.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46311 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2019  6:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did I once read that they were considering printing half the notes with Jackson's image and the other half with Tubman's?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10308 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2019  7:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I recall something like that as well. Who knows. I'm not eager for this change and feel if we're going to do do anything we should switch to allegorical figures. Except for the 50. Grant is awesome.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46311 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2019  7:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Grant is a stud for sure. As much as I like hundreds, I like fifties even more. I'm older and find the modern large portrait notes of little interest, but I'm sure collectors were aghast at the new small size notes back in 1928/29 as well. Ironic, isn't it, that those new standardized notes back then did away with the diversity of images on our notes of the prior 70 years!

Valued Member
United States
233 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2019  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bzookaj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Did I once read that they were considering printing half the notes with Jackson's image and the other half with Tubman's?

I read something today that said Jackson was just being moved to the back of the note.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46311 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2019  10:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you give us a link to that?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1068 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2019  10:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bryan78 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a feeling that if and when Tubman is placed on the twenty dollar bill that it isn't going to end well. Already read a story that a writer was stamping Tubman's image on $20's now out of protest and when Jackson gets replaced I expect to see it happen to her image with people stamping Jackson's image on top of it.

I also expect in the beginning a run on fives, tens, and maybe even fifties till people accept it.

Personally, I don't agree with Jackson being replaced. I have nothing against Tubman and admire her for what she done, but I think showing her helping slaves escape on the back of a bill would be better to honor her for her contributions instead of putting her on the front.

Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.8 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05